To the Fortune that brings back Septimius Severus from Britain

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The above coin is one of my favorites. It's a Roman-Syrian tetradrachm from Lao Dicea ad Mare, 14.37 gm, Prieur #1141.

ominus1, Edessa, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

It's gorgeous @Al Kowsky!!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Geta was killed 26 December 211. The 212 date error was based an old error of calculation. The current Wikipedia page gives 26 December at the top and 19 December down in the text. The britannica.com biography shows 212 in the header but 211 in the lower text. Editing is a lost art.

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

My new denarius in the collection that reflects the victory of Septimius in Britain.
    Septimius Severus. AD 193-211. AR Denarius. Rome mint. Struck circa AD 210-211. Obv. SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head right. Rev. VICTORIAE BRIT, Victory advancing right, holding wreath and palm. RIC 332.
    049-21.jpg
    Previously I had this Caracalla denarius with BRIT in obverse legend.
    Caracalla (198-217 AD). AR Denarius, Rome, 213 AD. Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head right. Rev. P M TR P XVI COS IIII P P, Serapis standing left, wearing polos, raising right hand and holding transverse sceptre. RIC 208.
    051-03.jpg

PeteB, Edessa, Ancient Aussie and 5 others like this.
  6. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what was meant by this part:
    Severus was 48 when he became emperor (born in 145) - hardly an "old man", even by 193 AD standards, and he died in 211 AD, just before his 66th birthday. I know the Historia Augusta isn't accepted as being reliable, but I do wonder what it meant by "eighty and nine" years.​

ominus1, Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  7. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

‘Fare you well, your suit is cold.’ Cold indeed, and labour lost, Then farewell, heat, and welcome, frost’ (The Merchant of Venice)

Septimius Severus, AD 193-211. AR Denarius (3.23g). Obv: Bare head right. Rev: Funeral pyre of five tiers, surmounted by quadriga. Ref: RIC IV 191F; BMCRE 27 (Caracalla); RSC 89. Lightly toned, good Very Fine, two small splits on edge. From the Marc Melcher Collection. Ex CNG.

zzz.jpg

gogili1977, PeteB, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted