To the Box of 20 collectors, a question.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AuldFartte, Apr 27, 2021.

1. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

I'm giving this some serious thought, but having two Boxes of 20 instead of one (possibly one British Victorian and one Classic US). My question is this: What is your reasoning behind your Box of 20 instead of a larger collection? Thanks in advance for any and all responses! Much appreciated.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What's wrong with having more than one "Box of 20"? Do one Brit, one US and one for any other country that wets your whistle.

Evan Saltis, Kentucky and AuldFartte like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A box of 20 is fine but I do prefer a nice 7070 album, a lower grade Whitman’s folder along with any other coins that strike my fancy.

Most coin series will not fit into a box of 20.

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I have a box of 20 for coins which do not make it into one of my registry sets. Before adding a coin, I'll have to sell another one first. It sure helps focussing on my sets instead of buying random coins.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    AuldFartte likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, I think the box of 20 idea comes from that is how many slabs fit into a standard PCGS or NGC box. The idea is your whole collection fits in one hand.

Modern guys please correct me if I am wrong.

Myself, I am the opposite. NO IDEA how many coins I own, but "a lot" might cover it. Its your hobby sir. If you want to concentrate on quality over quantity, but want 2 or 3 boxes instead of one, who is anyone to disagree? Do what makes YOU happy, that is all that matters sir.

7. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Thank you, @medoraman - I am about the same as you as far as current quantity is concerned. I'm just rethinking the size/quality of my collection. And, no need to call me sir. Call me Tom :)

medoraman, Evan Saltis and Kentucky like this.
  8. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Mountain Man and AuldFartte like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yes, Sir Tom :) If you are making a type coin collection, trying to get the finest example of each coin you lovingly enshrine, this is the ideal situation. Now what do I do with my coins from Borneo, Congo, Transnistria and all those other lovely funky places...

Lueds and AuldFartte like this.
  10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I was thinking of spending time fixing up a nice cabinet eventually. I have an old medicine cart from when my grandmother worked at the nursing home. Has lots of cubbies and with some work, I could make it a nice hub for my collection. Everything would fit nicely inside.
    Something to inspire me to ditch the awful binders I have now.

My ancients? Haven't gotten to owning 20 yet. At least not all at once. I wish I took the smaller approach sooner but as most do I started with the one from every country. Now I have a bunch of 'trash' I can't get rid of.

AuldFartte and Kentucky like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One man's trash is another's treasure.

AuldFartte and Evan Saltis like this.
  12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Just hard to do. Tried to make little sets and sell on ebay but it's not particularly cost-effective. Swapping is my goal but hasn't gone extremely well. So be it.

Lueds, Kentucky and AuldFartte like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Ask yourself these questions: which coins are essential to my collection, and which coins are simply clutter, distracting from the fantastic coins?
    All of my coins are essential, so there!

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

You dang right. I might not have a clue what I own, but by gosh they are all important to me! :)

AuldFartte and beaver96 like this.
  15. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

THIS ^^^

As I am the only member of my family that has any interest in coins and stamps I 'Inherited' around 350 Morgan/Peace Dollars, Whitmans with Quarters, Dimes and Pennies and Rolls and Rolls of Pennies, Nickels and Dimes from my in-laws to sell so the in-law's can give equal $$$ to the brother in law.

Problem is I'm attached to them lol. Probably sold about 1/4 to 1/3rd of them, but having a hard time parting with them.. lol

AuldFartte likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted