To star or not to star - official game thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jan 31, 2019.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Huh. Gotta say I'm actually really surprised by these guesses.

I'm going to say absolutely yes this coin should have a star.

And, @ddddd , if you'll let me post the next coin after this I will have a very interesting point to make.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

What is on the slab?

4. physics-fan3.14

The reveal will come tomorrow afternoon, after everyone gets a chance to guess.

furham likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That’s how I felt about the Lincoln Cent and I don’t even own it.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin. Every Bust Half should get a star.:D

7. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Kind of on the fence with this bust half, but my first impression was yes. That's what I'll stick with, star that baby!

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I say no star to the Bust Half. I personally like it, but I don't think it should star.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

Go right ahead! The floor is yours. :)

As for the results so far, I think people want to see something really special in order to give it a star. And most experiences with stars are likely in the Morgan series, so other coins are judged based on Morgan standards (I'm not saying that is the correct way to do it, just what might be happening).

As for your interesting point, I look forward to it! I have an idea of what it is (and I'll add that I have seen two very similar coins-both Morgans-where one received a star while the other did not...I might post that pair at a future point).

longshot likes this.
  10. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

Is it going to be one of the bust halves with secondary toning that stared and were sold on eBay within the last several months? I like yours better.

11. physics-fan3.14

Alright, I'm going to call this one. The guesses here seem pretty overwhelming.

I'm actually not going to reveal the status of the 1813 until tomorrow evening, after you guys have had a chance to guess on this next one:

JPA1012 obverse.jpg JPA1012 reverse.jpg

12. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

+1

I'd say the first one was the nicer (more star worthy) of the two.

Final answer: No star

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  14. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

Nope, no star.

15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Grand coin, but no star, though I agree with ddddd's thought that my ideas are mostly based on Morgan standards. How often do coins below, say, AU58, get a star? Maybe I'll learn something.

Irrelevant, but O-107.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

To me it depends on whether the photo posted was taken to enhance the toning or if that's a true depiction of the coin.

17. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

18. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

It's past tomorrow evening. Can't sleep until I know if it starred or not. lol

19. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I like this one more than the first. Star it is.

20. physics-fan3.14

The 1813 is one of the single most attractive bust halves I've ever seen. When I bought it, it had no star. I sent it in recently for designation review, still no star.

The 1835 is nice enough, but nothing really amazing compared to plenty unstarred ones I've seen. But, the 1835 has a star.

longshot likes this.
  21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I have a love/hate relationship with the NGC star designation. To me the vast majority of stars I've seen were toned Morgans and various blast white Kennedy halves, especially SMS versions that are PL. Everything else they seem to be very stingy with. Attractive toning alone doesn't cut it down there.

Although that cent in the OP is gorgeous, I agree that it shouldn't get a star due to the distracting mark. That's just gonna be an automatic no. The Morgan, who knows. There's lesser Morgans with stars.

The CBH may be unique enough within the series that it probably should've got one. But not surprised they didn't. I've learned to never get your hopes up for the star designation on any submission.

Draft saved Draft deleted