To Slab or Not To Slab

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gilbert, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

A recent thread mentioned that there are numerous fakes and forgeries of double eagles. I have half a dozen and would like your opinion: Should I go through the expense of having them slabbed by one of the big three?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Are you able to get some photos ?
    I would post them here first before spending the money.

Gilbert and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Plus if you are into them only for gold value, then there is not much worry

Gilbert likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Posting pics would be my suggestion too. I would however point out that while sometimes a coin can be pretty much absolutely be identified as a fake based on pics, there are far, far, more cases where a coin cannot be identified as absolutely being genuine.

Bottom line, most of the time, and I say that's defined as being in the high 90's %, you will not be able to get a definitive answer if the coin is genuine or not.

So if you want to know for sure, you're pretty much gonna have to submit them.

6. Gilbert

First two:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. Gilbert

8. Gilbert

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Here's my thought. I don't sell coins and expect my wife, kids and grandkids will have to sort it out once I leave this party. I inventoried all my pieces I felt had a value of $300.00 or more and had them slabbed simply so they could liquidate them easier. I do not see anything about your double eagles that raise my eyebrow. And late 19th century gold is my favorite..... It sounds like you just want to quell a growing concern in the pit of your gut. And I bet you could put that concern aside just carrying them to a dealer of some merit and allow him give them a once over.

Santinidollar, Insider and Gilbert like this.
  10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

@Insider is the man, when it comes to counterfeit detection. Im sure its much harder to do online, but if hes not too busy.....

Gilbert likes this.
  11. Gilbert

I'm with you, Randy. Why sell if you don't need the money -- but consideration of heirs is important and something to consider.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would. Classic gold basically all needs to be slabbed at this point and it’s just gonna get worse as time goes on.

Gilbert likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

But these coins are worth melt, genuine or not. It seems to be a waste of money to get them slabbed. Take them to a coin shop and test them to see if they are 90% gold.

Paul M., Aotearoa, Nathan401 and 3 others like this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

They look OK. They are only going to be bought around melt as they are nothing special. Right now, $20 much nicer than yours are SELLING a little over melt already slabbed! Put a note with the coins that each one has .96 ounces of pure gold. They can figure the "melt value" of each coin based on the spot price. Then try to get as much over that as they can. The best time to sell is when you don't need to sell.

15. Gilbert

That is good advice and I may do just that. But first I want to check the cost involved with slabbing. I have other coins in the collection that should probably be authenticated so possibly there is a quantity discount.
    Thanks to everyone for your advice and thoughts.

16. TypeCoin971793

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They look genuine to me. All nice circulated double eagles. Gold is a little more expensive to slab with grading companies like PCGS, since they don't allow you to use economy. You could always do the current ANACS 7 coins for $77 deal... unless that doesn't work for gold. Contact them and see. Sinking another $100 into these is no big deal to have peace of mind.

Paul M. and Gilbert like this.
  18. Gilbert

If I did that my collection would be nonexistent. :rolleyes:

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have a couple coins I was thinking of sending to ANACS. We can contact them and do a combined order maybe. Message me if you want.

Edit: looks like their website says $500 max value per coin. But sometimes if you call they can make an exception. Not sure about big gold though...

Gilbert likes this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Don’t waste money on ANACS. The 15 dollar 5 day ICG special is a lot better. Yes it costs a touch more but you get them back in a week and it’s a much much better holder

Gilbert likes this.
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

They’re worth melt provided they aren’t gold-plated brass, which a lot of the counterfeit garbage is. I know you know that, but I wanted to point out the obvious for the newcomers.

TypeCoin971793 and Gilbert like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted