To slab or not to slab.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. play2win

play2win New Member

I changed from pci to pcgs. PCGS killed everything, all coins pf68 & 69 deep cameo, now pf 64 no cameo. Impossible that far off!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I was collecting coins when PCI began, and at first, the grading was very tough compared at that time to ANAC, the dominant grader. This was before hard plastic slabs, usually a photocertificate.

When grading/slab companies first start , they claim the standards are strictly followed, blah, blah, But they find that the majority of the submitters do not submit to get an accurate grade, they want a better than accurate grade, and they will switch if they don't get a good percentage like that. PCGS worked on a slightly different business model, in that they originated the sight-unseen buying premise and guarantee, and once the dealers jumped onboard, they also shifted to "Market grading". PCI , IMO, tried to lower their standards to increase submission flow, whereas with PCGS, you knew you could bargain for the price based on the grade.

But, in the last 25 or so years, undergraded PCI, ANAC, rattler ( old green) PCGS, have been removed by people who could grade well enough to know PCGS would grade higher, but I feel those days are mainly over. True, there are still some winners out there in old slabs, but most that have a good chance of upping the grade, have already been sacrificed many years ago. However , ebay sellers still use the come-on about being in an old slab, no matter how bad they really are.

I still check out old slabs at shows, but I haven't purchased one I thought could be significant upgrade. Well one Morgan was PCGS 64 old label, and I knew the details would go MS65, but the price was almost a 65, and the toning was , shall we say curious.

I always photograph every coin that I submit to PCGS or NGC, just to convince myself it is the same coin. But they are not infallible, question them on it, if you feel strongly about it.

All in my opinion.
    Jim

4. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

very old threads but still needed it by some newbie..

to slab for authentication of a genuinity of a real and unique of a double denomination without any numerical number assigned such as MS ##, by the professional grader none other Mr. Alan Hager of Accugrade the inventor of slabbing coins and cards. this coin certified at Baltimore Coin Show in Maryland on March 2000. large crowd and many coin dealers and numismatist or coin collectors witnessis it.
    019-3-2.jpg 105-4-2-1-1.jpg 1995 Double DenominationReverse.jpg All Double Denomination with Numerical number as MS60 to MS70 is all common double denomination due of lack of original visible details of a penny/cent AND DIME PLUS ANOTHER ATTRIBUTION ON IT SUCH AS SKULL BREAK AND A CRACK DIE VARIETY ON THIS COIN 1995 PENNY oN DIME-ACG-MINT.
    116-6.jpg 006-2.jpg Not to slab because is to expensive for the cost of slabbing than the value of machine doubling of a coin in the pictures of 1995 and 1992 cents.

5. Gregory87

Gregory87 New Member

I always prefer get my coins slabbed as it's a protection and it keeps the value. And also, i can get rid of them easier when i want to sell them off.

6. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

it is an american thing to buy a coin, and then without a second thought send that valuable coin via the post office to a third party who will charge you a large sum of money to "grade" your coin and entomb it in a slab of plastic. i really don't see the point in making sure someone makes a lot of money for doing something the average collector should be able to do (forget the plastic slab) when he can sit and handle his purchase and then insert it into a lindner tray with an acid neutral disc with the information written on it. when you weigh up the cost of having 1 coin slabbed you could buy 2 lindner trays to house nearly 150 coins in a stable environment. during my time as a collector (50 years) i have never owned or indeed wish to own a slabbed coin and i would certainly never pay someone to do what i am quite proficient at grading my own coins. if i want to question if a coin is genuine i get in my car and go to the curator of coins at manchester museum whom i have known for many years as fellow members of the british numismatists soci.ety and then it is for confirmation purposes only, what that costs me is a pint of guiness at the next society meeting. i recently sold my vast collection at auction and the auction houses re-graded my coins and informed me that my own grading was too strict as their valuer graded many higher than my original grading, this led to some coins and collections being sold for way above estimate. and not one of them were slabbed!!!

7. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

YUP, surely they BOUGHT the COINS not the PLASTIC on it.. Even the 20$ gold coin 1933 double eagle sold for 7.6 million US dollars is not in the Plastic Holder of any TPG.

By the way, can I keep this coin unslabbed?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrcPPcgKGo
    My very first Ancient Roman Coin from a cointalk member FROGGY of FRANCE.

8. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

yes you can keep it in a lindner tray with an acid neutral paper disc with the info written on it, and then stored in a stable environment

9. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

You don't miss any chance do you?

10. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Thank you.:thumb:

11. SteveCC

SteveCC Junior Member

ICG accepts direct submissions. They charge $12 at the economy level. They are very easy to do business with.

12. rubber_ducky

rubber_ducky New Member

Wow really glad I found this!!! BUT..... still don't know what i'm going to do.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

lol

14. LunarHunter

LunarHunter New Member

I’ve got some mint rolls of lunars, I was thinking of sending in a roll of horses to be graded would that be a good idea?

15. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I wouldn't waste your money. Getting the 3rd party opinion slapped on these isn't going to increase the value.

16. highroller4321

highroller4321 Junior Member

I would reccomend only slabbing if it will make the coin worth more of if will authenticate the coin.

For instance any 1922 no D wheat penny should be slabbed. Why? because if its a type 2 die its worth 30x more!

Should a 1914 D wheat penny be slabbed? Most likely no. The lower grades may be worth $120+ but it does not justify the cost of grading. If its going to grade AU55+ then yes grade it. Why? The price difference between a AU55 and AU58 is over $300!

17. highroller4321

highroller4321 Junior Member

Also I would only grade PCGS. They are the most well known and people pay more money for PCGS holdered coins then ANACS or any other grading service. You always buy the coin not the holder, but pcgs is the way to go.

18. jobz888

jobz888 New Member

hi all.
    I have just gotten interested in low ball morgans. does anyone have any info or experience on the low ball morgans. If i sent some really AG morgans to a grading company is there a possibility it won't grade on low if it's too worn?

thanks to anyone with any knowledge of this. i have googled it like crazy and there's limited info on it..

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

There is that chance. If it is a damaged coin it will get "Details" for all sort of things like cleaning or scratch's or a whole list.
    But it is not messed with it should get you the low grade your looking for.

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Exactly do you want to do: play the lowball game, or simply submit a few lower grade coins?

21. jobz888

jobz888 New Member

hi books...
    no this is how it came about. i sell junk silver on THAT large auction site. once in a while i get morgans in wholesale bags i buy that are beaters. so i was pricing them and saw the term 'low ball' on asn auction and starting learning whatever i could about the collectors of 'low ball' morgans.

I have never submitted a coin to be slabbed, ever. so was just wondering if there's more info than i can google. is this a relatively new thing like when the VAMS started appearing. is it a flash in the pan or a legitimate collectors field so i don't just dump them cheap at melt value.....
    best
    rob

Draft saved Draft deleted