To slab or not to slab.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

In most cases, are not the prices in the price guides set by what the majority of people are paying for that coin? If so, then isn't the real value of any coin what any one person is willing to pay for it?

I guess what I am trying to say, is even if the price guides list a coin at 6-8 dollars and to you it is worth 10-12 or even 20-30 because you like the coin, or it is the one coin you need to complete your set, then in actuality that coin is worth what ever you paid.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Five4Fighting

Five4Fighting Junior Member

How do you crack a slab? If its from SGS its real easy! LOL From over grading coins to a cheap slab that grading company has to be THE WORST out there, I stay away from buying slabs from Abon lol

4. RCBruce

RCBruce Nickel Nerd

You hit the whole collecting value thing right on the head! :hammer:

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, they are not. And that is why most people don;t understand price guides.

Again no. No coin is ever worth what you paid for it. They are only worth what you can sell it for to an educated buyer.

Notice the phrase educated buyer. That is because there are plenty of people out there who, having no idea what a coin is actually worth, will pay multiples of the real value.

For example, if some seller on ebay offers up a '63 Lincoln cent in VF condition for $100 and somebody buys it - do you really believe that '63 Lincoln cents in VF condition are worth $100 apiece ? If you do, then you're not as smart as the guy who paid it.

6. Five4Fighting

Five4Fighting Junior Member

Or those people that pay all that money for colorized coins, :computer: or the coins that they put Obama on the front? :rolleyes: I think the shopping channels shouldnt be allowed to sell coins

7. RCBruce

RCBruce Nickel Nerd

Maybe we are disecting this too much. No coin gets a written value from what one person pays for it. Just as certain coins may sell for different prices depending on the area of the country you happen to be in. Example; S mint mark coins are hard to get here, but I'm sure they must be a lot easier to get on the west coast.
    As far as educated buyers, they may be the backbone of the hobby, but small hobbiests are probably more plentiful. Someone who makes a living at this has the oppertunity to see alot more coins than someone like me, so he can be more choosey. I may be willing to pay more for a coin I just don't see too often. "Perspective" may play a small part in what one person is willing to pay versus another.
    Point being, PERSONAL value may differ vastly from MARKET value.

BTW....I love the 'civil' discussion here. I wish all threads were this way! :eating:

8. KomkaCoins

KomkaCoins Member

Keep them raw. Independent companies like the graders are only are in business to make money. So they will throw bones to high quantity bulk graders so they make money off hobbyists for someone adding a grade to a coin for no reason and low ball low volume dealers/hobbyists to get you to resend them in.

Simply put: Keep your cash for more coins!!!

9. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I do agree with this. I have been submitting through my dealer as I believe what you say wholeheartedly and think that big dogs get more love than little dogs. Life is like this, no matter how "pure" one thinks the graders are.

10. Gizmoid

Gizmoid New Member

My opinion - perhaps slightly biased - but I handle hammered coins and I enjoy people being able to hold and feel such beautiful coins. I remember a visitor from the USA who was amazed when I told him to take an Elizabeth 1 crown out of its packet and feel it............I did my hand some damage once getting a Henry V111 out of a USA slab.......coin was OK...thumb took a few weeks to recover....

11. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Slab nothing for no reason and save yourself some $$$ but

Slab nothing for no reason and save yourself some $$$ but if you must then: - be at least a collector/investor/dealer - this is not IMO my advice for the collector.

When To Slab,
    1. Key or semi-key coins in nice collector grades strict VF-35 and above worth at least $300 or more.
    2. Coins in those same grades/key or semi-key that are often counterfeited such as 09-S VDB, 55 DDO and 22-Plain die #2.
    3. Rare die varieties that boost the price way above normal coin value, examples are Top 100 or top Cherry Pickers Guild coins such as 1935 Buffalo DDR #1, 1955-P Lincoln DDO-001 & 2, 1983-P DDR-001 & 2 1995-D DDO-003,
    4. Any type coin that is just so original you can't stand it and with very little evidence of any old cleanings, again $300 and above.
    5. Any 1952 and earlier single proof coin that has a shot at PR-65 or above and is very original looking, (IE: been taken care of).

Coins that should never be graded-advice for the pure collector.
    1. Most all coins made since 1985.
    2. Any and all modern proofs and comparatives made for collectors.
    3. Any and all modern silver, gold and platinum since 1986.
    4. Any modern beautiful toned coins - reason, if they are beautiful without the holder will they be more beautiful with one?
    5. Any coin that I own.
    Plus all you will be so pleased I'm not going to go off on TPG companies, today anyway.

Happy weekend everyone!!!

12. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I agree with you Bruce- this old post got dug up by bhp3rd so I am commenting as I reread. Any coin for less than the grading fees, especially a proof is worth it IF you are going to collect them as such. It's a bummer to have a bunch of inexpensive raw coins in a series and have one or two slabbed. I personally like order. Case in point: I bought a few slabbed PF 69 clad Kennedy's back in the day and I have a nearly completed Kenndedy Dansco album (let em tone!!). What am I going to do with those slabs? Count the cost of starting a collection. Doug has said this often in the past if I recall.

13. leanback

leanback leanback

Hey, Speedy,
    I thought I was the only one that had a habit of saying you all.
    Close to Ky, Nice to know anyway. Your y'all makes all ok...
    I know not that funny, but I'm :high5: better now.
    oh well,
    Thanks for info.
    Kim

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Sound advice Ben. And when you are buying raw, make sure you totally agree with the sellers attributed Grade, if you aren't , get out the books, talk to other forum members, other trusted Dealers, and perhaps you will learn something you didn't know. It's always good to know, what you don't know. Tom.

15. houston3204

houston3204 Numismatic Consultant

Good question here.....slab or not slab

I just don't like the idea of parting with your treasure :crying:(seen it happen-it is mysteriously replaced)....yet I like the slab idea to protect the coin.......Just my opinion.....PLUS the COST......:bigeyes:
    Thanks,
    Neal

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Are you saying the TPGs are replacing coins? I find that very hard to believe seeing that their entire industry is based on trust and they handle tons of extremely valuable coins all the time. Having a problem like this would destroy their credibility and ruin them.

17. houston3204

houston3204 Numismatic Consultant

I am not saying anything...but just like you trust your dentist ...Could be a filling,root canal, or just a cleaning...depends on the dr's nees......hahhaa...not really if you find a rare error or great grade coin say a MS-69 and it was replaced with a ms-67. small differences but large dollar difference....makes you think.hhhh

18. coinsbaby

coinsbaby New Member

For Canadian coins ICCS and CCCS is the best options and they put the coins in plastic holders and easy to use.

19. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

OH, a well advised reply GD.

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Would you slab this??

Attached Files:

21. JrCoin

JrCoin resident Michigander

bullocks to slabs, they get all scratched and crummy looking, they do not enhance anything, and apparently they don't protect the uninformed from counterfeits either, they just fake the slab. You want to protect a coin buy an airtite. Use an album. They slab comic books. How are you supposed to enjoy a slabbed comic book? $20 out your pocket so someone else can take their sweet time playing with your coin...are you even sure you're getting the same thing back? Perhaps all the tpgs are owned by the chinese. Think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted