To slab or not to slab.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Really... I've had the best results with 2x2 cardboard flips and a pen or pencil...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

WHAT !
    :desk::confused::eek::headbang::goofer:

4. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

I have never had to use any of them. If I was planning on selling my collectiong then I would consider it, but since I am not, I am not.

I think it is great for those who do, but just not for me. However I will be buying rare coins slabbed by one of the top four grading companies, just to make sure:thumb:.

regards,
    S

5. Curly Q Link

Curly Q Link New Member

Coins may look great in Danscos (and they do, I have a few, and yes, I have cracked out to add to them), but if/when it comes time to resell, you DO want them in that plastic....not that 3rd world stuff.

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Frankly I think slabbing is just another way to make a buck for someone ( ANACS, ICG, NGC, and PCGS ).
    Unfortunally, most buyers adhere to this promotion and will pay top dollar for the authentication.
    To bad regular coin shops don't offer this grading service as we could save on the time and postage. After all, who says ANACS, ICG, NGC, and PCGS are any better at grading than someone else in the business.

7. wheels2285

wheels2285 New Member

awesome. thanks for the tips

8. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

As an intermediate coin collector I would suggest slabbing when buying an expensive coin, especially one that is subject to forgery. Peace of mind here.

Unfortunately there are many cases where coins are undergraded or overgraded and some slabs are cracked open, re-submitted and receive different grades by the same grading service. Graders are only human and sometimes see things differently.

I recently sent a coin to ANACS for slabbing and with the fees, attribute research, postage to and from amounted to about $55 (for a 15 day turnaround, more for a 5 day, 2 day or 1 day). I could have bought a few coins with that money. Remember you will have the slabbing fees invested in you coin, so if the coin isn't worth that much to begin with, you may never recoup the fee's you invested.

I have a few coins that are worthy of slabbing, however sometimes I think otherwise. There will be a hole in my album where the slabbed coin is missing and is it fair to the coin to eternally entomb it into a piece of plastic that probably didn't even exist when the coin was minted?

The holders will help to preserve and protect the coin, however sometimes I feel its like sending your coin to prison. It can never be held or admired in the same way ever again.

Just my thoughts,

Harry

Mailman1 likes this.
  9. singko

singko New Member

Thanks for the great tip.
    I really want to say thank you for the information on this post.

10. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

Anything where there is a significant price jump between two close grades, like from MS62 to MS63, especially when you feel you bought it undergraded

11. Booner

Booner Member

I generally don't shy away from slabbed coins. If I can get it at a decent price, and it is one I need for one of my sets, but I always crack open the slab and add the coin to my album. Until recently that is....

I just sent my 2008/2007 reverse Silver Eagle in to be slabbed and I'm also at the point where I'm down to the keys for a lot of my sets. I'm leaning toward buying the 09-S VDB Lincoln, the 16-D Mercury, and the 1877 IHC in slabs, just because of the value for these coins.

12. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

The collector in me says I don't need or want the plastic. The investor in me says (for the more expensive coins) buy the PCGS/NGC certification after considering the coin itself.

As I get older and accumulate/spend more money on my obsession, I also want the insurance of certification in case I bite the dust sooner than I expected :vanish:. It will be better for my heirs.

Mailman1 likes this.
  13. Darkfenix

Darkfenix New Member

For me not being interested in selling my coins ever I'm not concerned with slabbing them. Mind you the majority of my canadian commemoratives come in air seals so their condition deteriorating isn't of much concern to me either atm. But for those that are looking to sell someday or feel there heirs will getting the valuable ones slabed is a nice idea as it will help them out as well as leaving a rough list of how much they are all worth at the time

14. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Catbert, Those are some mighty fine looking coins you have in your album.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

are you sure they ar enot on loan from a museum lol :D j/k

16. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Hah! I'd sure like to have your museum ready Indian gold coin in your sig. I'd love to own it. What say you that I trade my $5 Indian straight up? Shouldn't museums share their inventory? All in the name of "comity", sort of like the senate, ya know?

17. Smaugy

Smaugy Peg Leg Surfing

I would gladly display any gold coins anyone is willing to send me. :smile

Smaugy

18. coinman101

coinman101 Collector Of All Coins

Ok here's one, a 1943 Walker, most likely MS-64, has no toning whatsoever. I got it for $6.75 while back (ebay, really bad pick) Should I slab?

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Well my indian has gone on a trip east. there were others interested in taking a loan out but in the name of community development i have got some nice indians (cents) that will be more willing to become part of an exchange program. what say you? :D

I would do the same for you coins my friend. nice to see you posting :)

20. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

That's a really good deal, but it's listed at $60 on numismedia in that grade, so probably not worth it.

21. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

At what valued price do you start slabbing ?

Draft saved Draft deleted