To slab or not to slab.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

I would think that slabbing would be based upon what type of collection a person has as well as in some cases the reasons why they have that collection.
    I myself have two types of collections within my world coins and they are divided by price into slab and raw coins.
    The more money someone is willing to spend the more insurance, slab, they may wish to take.
    As for pleasure, I have as much pleasure with the raw coins as I do with the slab.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jimij

jimij New Member

I find PCGS service extremely annoying. Regular grading is $30 bucks a coin 5 minimum and their express service is now 10 coins minimum.

4. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

i love bust dollars, i never would have sold it, but sounds like that slabbing did a good job for you

i have no slabbed coins, some:mad: of the coins in my collection might earn the right to be slabbed----- i definetly believe in slabbing

5. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

im sorry, i meant to ask a question with the first message.

Which would be the best slabing service for gold????

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

It would depend <sp?> on what kind of gold coin it was.....

Speedy

7. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

1726 NETHERLANDS GOLD TRADE DUCAT-UTRECT

3.49 GRAMS .986 GOLD, APPROXIMATELY 24 MM IN DIAMETER.

8. Speedy

Tim
    GDJMPS will be the one that will know for sure as he collects this type of coin.....I can't say for sure but it seems like I see more of this type in NGC slabs than other slabs.
    I could be totaly wrong as I don't look at too many of these coins....

Speedy

9. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

ok, that sounds good, i'll ask him in another thread.

Its like the only coin of its type that i have so i have no idea either

10. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

I will only slab rarities, FS Errors (Fivas and Stanton) and older proofs and red lincolns

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It should turn out looking kinda like this one ;)

[​IMG]

12. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

sorry, seems like a dumb question but i'm new, what exactly is slabbing?:desk: , just protecting the coin with a case?

13. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Yep, just another gimmick to seperate the collector from his or her money. It's pure genius. You get to pay just as much or more as you did for the coin so somebody else can tell you what you already knew except it's put in plastic with a paper grade attached. A grade which will change every year or so and you've gotta go thru the whole process over again...

Right up there with the Drew Rosenhaus and other Sports Agents :D

14. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

As far as FS Errors go, do you typically get them graded too or just attributed? It seems like there's a price difference but I'm not sure if it's possible to just get something attributed and not graded.

15. poker_prof_AA

poker_prof_AA New Member

Slabbing seems expensive, doing it over and over again every so often, wouldn't it just be cheaper if one learned to grade coins, say buy a book or something and grade it yourself and write down the grading on the case?:cool:

16. Speedy

I really don't agree where Bone says that you have to do it every year....I think he meant that more of a joke? :D

You can learn to grade and be the best graders out there but sometimes when selling a coin a slab is worth alot more than your own word---people will buy coins sight un-seen if they are slabbed.

Speedy

17. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well maybe not every year ;) But you know the standards change often depending on the series you collect and sometimes these changes are devestating to the collector who is also in it as an investment. True, the slabbed coin sells for more but it also costs more.

(These words are in stone. David Hall, PCGS)

"The Word is Out!!!
    We've had a ten year honeymoon with the coin buying public, but we've betrayed their trust, and the word is out. The word is out in the financial planning community; in the hard money circuit; and to the coin investing public. Coin dealers are rip-off artists; the rare coin market is a trap.
    For ten years, we've sold coins to the coin buying public as MS-65, only to tell them that the grading standards had changed and their coins graded MS-63 when it was time for them to sell.
    For ten years, we've told them that rare coin prices have gone up and up and up and up, only to tell them that the buyers bidding those higher prices were very fussy, very selective, sight-seen buyers who bought only the coins that they liked and not the coins that the public owned.
    For five years, we've supplied the telemarketers who have pounded the coin-buying public with Salomon Brothers fantasies while [selling them] viciously overgraded coins.
    We are currently paying the consequences of the abuses of the past ten years. And frankly, we deserve it!"

David Hall, dealer and a principal in the Professional Coin Grading Service
    What he's saying in a nutshell is Your $600 MS-65 coin is now a $250 MS-63 coin...

Ben

18. GDJMSP

One question Bone - when did David say that ? I mean in what year.

19. airedale

airedale New Member

In a 1988 letter to coin dealers about past abuses and PCGS's new standard

20. GDJMSP

Which is exactly what I suspected and why I asked. PCGS didn't even exist until 1986. That letter and those comments were written as part of advertising campaign promoting the new service - PCGS.

You see, up until that time there were only two grading services - ACG ( Accu-Grade ) and the ANA Grading Service. The ANA service of course was based upon the official grading standards of the ANA which were first published in 1977. But in '86 the ANA Board decided to change the standards. They all agreed that the older standards were much to lenient and that they needed to be tightened up. So they changed them and made them more strict. Coins that had previously been graded by ANA standards and deemed to be MS65, overnight became MS63's.

That's how that letter came to be. It actually had very little, if anything to do with the standards in use by PCGS - it had to do with the standards established by the ANA, and then changed to be more strict. Quite the opposite of what most folks think of when they talk of changing grading standards.

907Novice likes this.
  21. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I think the term "abuse" was used when another would have been more apropos for the situation at hand. Maybe something sounding less criminal, LOL ;)

Ben

Draft saved Draft deleted