To slab or not to slab.

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Member

good idea...I'll edit my post on eBay. Feel better about that anyway

imrich likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I am a member of NGC, but I recommend that if you collect learn to grade, take the time. I have always been a very tough grader, and have had proofs especialy Swiss and Luxembourg returned as PF70 after I graded them at best PF66. had one customer tell me he would not purchase one item from me because it was not graded by one of the major grading services. so I sent if off, it was one of the ones that came back as a PF70.

4. If you go to the ngccoin.com site I believe you can submit in Europe and in China now for NGC grading.

5. Steven Hufschmidt

Steven Hufschmidt Active Member

I slab everything, doing my part to make America great again....;)

6. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I'm new to this but have been placing better coins in the Everslabs for protection.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Going with a major TPG is always your best bet, PCGS or NGC.

8. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

I never send the coins I plan on keeping to TPG, I do not care what someone else thinks a coin I like grades at.

Coins I want to sell, I don't think it is worthwhile sending anything I believe to be valued under $200. Lower grade key dates sell well graded or not, so they have to be over $400 to be worthwhile. Even then it is questionable.

I did just send in 2 1909VDB DDO#2 in because I paid about $10 and the grading cost $45. I now have $55 in each. They are for sale at $90 and $130. Profit will be $130. I couldn't get $50 each without the slabs.

That being said, TPG's are not as good as they claim to be. I have seen MS/PR 70 coins with small hits. A 70 should have absolutely no marks. I recently sent in a 1918-S Lincoln that my wife, 2 of my dealers, at least 3 very respected and knowledgeable collectors I know online all agree is an MS64 came back a MS63. Along with that was a 1943-S DDO cent that had a tiny bit of environmental damage on the rims that can be seen in between the rim and a wheat stalk that came back as MS66, tied for 10th finest known. There is no way it is a 66. I'm glad it's behind the part of the holding device and can't be seen now.

I spent a LOT of time studying trueviews of early Lincolns in high grade, I see the same exact coin graded at MS64,65 and 65+ If coins in OGH are more desirable because they are graded tougher, what is the point if there isn't consistency?

I will continue to send stuff in because so many people put their money into what the TPGs say.

I use a certified dealer to submit my coins because they have 3rd party insurance and can share the shipping costs with others by bulk submitting. They also provide a very valuable opinion on grade, and worthiness.

Just my observations

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Its all about opinions, that,s why they have TPG,S in the first place
    When it comes down to it, its all about the $$$$

10. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

One thing for sure is that its a waste of money to slab ultra-modern coins and ancient coins.

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not always. I will agree that that's often the case. But not every time.

12. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I had a dealer send in my early Chinese Pandas and they came back with higher grades than expected by NGC. I will now send in two IHC, one quarter Eagle, (I bought as MS and hope it is), and maybe one 1/4 oz gold 10 dollar gold Canadian proof Queen coin.I slabbed to prevent environmental damage/document authenticity for the Chinese/ and to test our coin clubs grading skills for the other coins.

13. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I would think that getting any coin graded should give it some value. Whether or not that value justifies getting the grade is a personal opinion is up to the individual to determine.

I think they keep the prices of grading balanced between the amount of requests they get, as to not be inundated with thousands of ungradable and common pieces. This forces the consumer to research and value their own coin before submitting. I agree with this.

What I can not ration is that they also get a percentage of their recommended value based on their appraisal. The better the grade the more they get? Is that not a conflict of interest?

14. TRASHDIGGER

TRASHDIGGER Dig holes in the ground, cover them up again

I learned what "slabbing" is....but what is a "body-bag"? Thanks. Trashdigger, Richie

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When the grading services first started they did not slab a coin as damaged or altered surfaces, Questionable color etc. Infact any coin that did not strait grade was sent back in a flip. With a number describing the problem.
    Today they slab these coins to make them market acceptable.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe that applies to people who don't know how to grade, but I made a nice profit selling SQ business strikes that graded MS68 to collectors for their registry sets.
    ~ Chris

capthank likes this.
  17. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Hi, I give you my opinion on grading services for antics particularly Roman coinage and Greek one. I am against grading services for antics as it is not appropriate to put an antic coin on a slab and of what I see that don’t bring really more value actually to the coin in auction.

Many European collectors buy antic in a slab only to broke the slab and put it on their collection. That a master of taste of course.

the biggest problem with antics coins grading service if that it provide a grading but not a guarantee on authenticity and it is not useful to grade a very good fake of Greek or Roman coin. And to do expertise you need to feel the money out of a slab.

18. TRASHDIGGER

TRASHDIGGER Dig holes in the ground, cover them up again

Thanks Phil :happy: Richie

capthank likes this.
  19. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Spambot bringing up good stuff.
    I have to have that 1996 W dime slabbed. Who has the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted