to open or not to open???

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by hertsmatt, Feb 23, 2013.

1. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

So I have purchased a mixed box of coins and inside is this roll of pennies, do I open them? Are they worth more if I leave them shut for 20 years?? I believe the two ends are 2009 lincoln pennies (they are the same) I cant find a 2009 lincoln penny with any value online.

Complete newbie to roll hunting :/ 20130223_203130-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

If you want to sit on them for 20 years, buy a plastic tube and put them in it. The paper corrodes at the penny. It also may not even be a full roll of 09's. Either way, I would pop that sucka open!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any errors from the 09s except the extra thumb Lincoln. I personally would keep them rolled up though I doubt they will command any huge premium anytime soon. Over 327 million of the presidency reverse were minted so they aren't super rare though they do have the smallest mintage of the 4 reverse designs.
    Edit - screw it! Open em up and tell us what you got! :)

5. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

Hadn't even finished reading that and they are being opened as I type! This may be my new hobby!!

6. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

Ooh and now I have stopped.... So open 1 - 1 closed, anyone else :)

7. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

Ok opened them SHINY! and all 2009 pennies YAWN but awesome feeling opening a fresh roll, ok I'm hooked!!! BUT I'm in the uk and can't get rolls of halves and quarters :( really not sure it's the same with british coins... Is it?

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Just a quick google search shows that as far as silver goes, the UK hasn't had any in their circulating coins since the 40's and now the royal mint is working on reclaiming all 10p and 20p cupro-nickel coins and replacing them with nickel plated steel. Looks like there won't be much to roll search over there. Though when I lived over there I enjoyed collecting all the 1 and 2 pound coins with the different reverses.
    You could look for these though: http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/undated-20p-coin

9. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

Yeah silver isn't an option here :( was hoping for rare coins hence the want for us coin rolls but the 20p could be fun!!

10. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

That's the rarer of the full rolls if I'm not mistaken, so it's a good find. NF String & Sons I believe is who the mint uses to wrap and ship coins out, so you got a good roll my friend!

11. hertsmatt

hertsmatt New Member

Cool... what does that mean? Was I ok to open them? Dpes that mean they are worth something? :D

12. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

It was good to open them as the paper does corrode and do damage to the coins. They're worth a bit yeah, less of them were released into circulation if I'm not mistaken.

13. kansasman

kansasman New Member

I never understood the value of collecting newer pennies unless your investing someday you can melt the copper down for a profit.

Draft saved Draft deleted