To grade or Not to Grade?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SensibleSal66, May 26, 2022.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

This is the question? Actually, the question I have is...
    Why are there so many graded coins out there being bought and sold for less than the grading fees? Some may be from bulk submissions and get them graded for much cheaper but what about the rest? Any ideas or comments? I have several I personally bought graded/ or slabbed Authentic (Problem coins) that I know are valued for less the grading fees.
    Am I missing something here? Just some late-night Questions....
    Thanks in advance!! :snaphappy:
    Here are two coins I personally own. I won these in a contest several years ago. He explained that he was in a Nickel group that specialized in nickels! And you thought I was strange. :wacky: Anyway he explained they were a part of a Bulk submission and didn't cost too much per coin. :)
    1953D--MS65 value approx. $10
    1960D--MS64 value also approx.$10
    usacoinbook.com for values. Correct me if I'm wrong on these.:rolleyes: Nickelsobv.jpg IMG_20220526_005156472[9333].jpg

1stSgt22 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Hope springs eternal. Coins that were MS65s in the submitter's eyes turned out to be AU55's in the eyes of TPG graders. :(

Cal

SensibleSal66, Kevin Mader and dwhiz like this.
  4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Usually bulk submissions. For example for silver Roosevelt Dimes if you're submitting individual coins you need most dates to grade at least 67FB to be worth the cost of submission. However if you send in large amounts at once from say, original bank rolls you get a major break on slabbing costs.

However nowadays PCGS allows you to set a grading quota on bulk submissions, and each coin that doesn't meet the quota is only a $2 fee per coin, while each slab is a $14 fee. For example you can send in original bank rolls of Roosevelt Dimes and specify that everything below MS-67 is returned unslabbed.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My guess would be someone dumping(selling) a whole collection.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We all collect in different ways.
    Some build sets in albums and don't care about slabs.
    Others want every coin in slabs and may even want all the slabs to be from the same grading service. They want the set to have a matching look.
    Some coins get graded just because they have a special meaning to the owner.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

All the above. But I think Cal and the 'raptor capture the primary interests. Folks are hoping for a coin to grade 65 and higher, or even 67 and higher for more common coinage. They roll the dice a bit on some coins, hopefully as part of a bulk submission, targeting one or two prime coins. The ones that don't 'place' end up being lucky purchases for the rest of us.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's a million different reasons. It can be anything from having someone that just cant grade, something happening in shipping lowering the grade etc, everyone knows the whole they dont know what they're doing angles.

There's also though (especially with ANACS) where coins need to get thrown in to meet the minimum number of coins for a special, it could also just be a throw in for a bulk to get the minimum. When it comes to bulks though $10 can easily be profitable for the big boy submitters. For the non big boy submitters it can be a balancing act of accepting some that will be break even or a slight loss to make sure you meet the thresholds for the reduced fees overall.

That's for collectors that are doing bulks. The big boy bulks pay MUCH less and dont pay for coins that dont meet the threshold.

Omegaraptor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted