To grade or not to grade?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

also, heritage is the way to go with this type of stuff right?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Welcome. I am also impressed by the sheer volume of really great notes.

Please post the MPC. Serial numbers matter when pricing them.

4. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

the small size notes are also worth if gem condition right? From looking at mint marks, theres a plethora of marks from closed down mints. The amount of those is staggering.

5. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Which do u want closer pics of, all?

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Ive been documenting the collection for the past week or so, getting all the friedberg numbers and serial numbers. Anyone Interested in helping me decide what to get graded ASAP?

Also, how is pricing of star notes done, is it subjective? for example I have a 1934 San Francisco 50 dollar star note, with a serial number lower then 00003000, but how do u establish value for that when theres no others?

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I was looking at this thread and saw that you had some military payment, i know i,am arriving a little late on the seen but here some of my
    High grade examples from that Series i have the complete set and it,s currently number 1 at PCGS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of these are number ones the 69-$10 and the 68-$20 have populations of one and are the highest ever graded
    If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, as far as value just to give you some idea the 68-$1
    Has a population of (5) and would go for around $400 the 68-$5 has a population of (3) and that price tag would
    Be around $850 the 69-$10 is special because there are so few 69,s in the entire realm of MPC if i were ever to
    Sell it, i would ask no less then $5,000 the 68-20 is a one of a kind as well population (1) value between $1,700
    And $2,000

Thanks, Rusty

8. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

That was pretty hard to read with capitalization in the middle of sentences.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do NOT know currency. I do know you have some incredible notes posted here. wow great stuff here. makes me want to collect currency. some of the cooler notes cost so much money though.:vanish:

10. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Thanks so much for the information mpcusa, your notes are spectactular. FYI in series 681 I have

$5
    $10
    $20 x2

one of the 20s looks gem, not as clean as ur 68, but its never been handled, so must be somewhere in the 60+ range, expect to see that in auctions soon, i will probably keep 1 of each and sell the gem.

11. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Im just sending my first group of notes to be graded monday, seems so costly, hopefully the value will come out to be worth it -.-

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

If you need some advice before you send them in you can e-mail me the scans at rustyxm@yahoo.com

Thanks, Rusty

13. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hey.. nice collection. Nice inheritance....:yes:

14. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

15. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

wow was just looking over my first post.... nostalgia :p

16. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

I've sworn an oath to help any worthy brother in distress, so I'm happy to share my opinion. Your question is a matter of personal taste, my Brother. You can grade those that will fetch the highest premium or start with the ones that hold more sentimental value. You also have to take into account that grading costs money to get done and once done can add value to the note, so you may want to grade those that will have the most gains vs cost. Unfortunately the is only gains in your fine collection.

Personally, I like your 1899 1$ Black Eagle, 1923 1$ US Note, 1896 1$ Educational Note and all your National Bank Notes. As a mason, I just love those Educational Notes, their allegorical imagery and artwork is stunning to say the least.

There are several factors that go into pricing FRN star notes:

• District - there are 12 Federal Bank Districts, each is assigned a letter, but not all will print stars in a given series.
    • Series - For coins, they are given a stamp for the year they are intended for circulation, so every year gets a new stamped date. But for Notes, the year only changes when there is a redesign in that denomination. This leaves large gaps in series, often years or even decades (ie 1935-1957 for 1$ Silver Certificates are all dated 1935). So the BEP uses Blocks, Districts and Runs to determine where in a series the note was printed. After time they use all the letters and numbers for Block/District/Serial, so they add a letter to the series. (ie series 1935 1$, 1935a through1935h 1$)
    • Run - For star notes they are printed in runs of 3.2 million printed notes (100,000 sheets of 32 notes). They don't always finish the Run which leaves rarer Runs of star notes - and star notes are already rare to begin with, making up less than 1% of all printed notes. The most common partial Runs are printed in groups of 320,000 and 640,000, but there are occasionally an odd ball number printed. If there were less than 320,000 printed in a run than it is among the rarer of the rare. If they don't finish a run the will trash all the unused S/Ns in that run, so Run 2 will always start at S/N 03200001* no matter how many notes were printed in Run 1.
    • S/N - This determines in which Run the star note was printed. Some collectors like fancy S/Ns and will pay a higher premium, for example: low serial numbers, birth years, ladders, radars, repeaters, repeaters, binary, combinations, and mathematical serial numbers.
    1. Low serials - the more Zeros on the left the better, starting with a minimal of 4.
    2. Birth years - if it is a low, 4 digit S/N that starts with 19xx or or 20xx, it sells like hotcakes (ie 00001984* will sell to any one born in 1984). Other runs offer birth year and birth date combinations, but are naturally more selective personally to the buyer, limiting potential interest. (ie 09191984* will only sell to someone born Sept 19, 1984).
    3. Ladders - ascending or descending numbers (ie 01234567*, 98765432*, 10120123*, etc.)
    4. RadaR - is a palindrome. These are S/N that read the same forward as backwards. (ie 98899889* or 55022055*)
    5. Repeaters - S/Ns with repeating numbers (ie 88888888* or 80880888*)
    6. Repeaters - lol
    7. Binary - a Language based on 2 choices, on/off; true/false; or 1/0. One digit is a bit, there are 8 bits to a byte. A sequence of 8 bits are read Right to Left. Each bit in the sequence represents an increasing (doubling) value: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128. (ie 01100101 = 1+0+4+0+0+32+64+0 = 101). Some collectors like S/Ns that are thus comprised of zeros and ones.
    8. Combinations - These are a combination of the previous fancy S/Ns (ie 12344321* is a RadaR, Ladder note; 19841984* is a Repeating, Birth year note; 11011011* is a Repeating, RadaR, Binary note; 10110111* is a Repeating, Ladder, Binary note)
    9. Mathematical - these are S/Ns that are also famous math formulas or number sequences (ie 31415926* = Pi; 11235813* = Fibonacci; or 39416525* = (aª + bª = cª) = Pythagorean)
    • Quality - Very subjective. Ranges from Good - Superb Gem Uncirculated. Assuming the printing and cutting was fine for the star note, you don't want to see folds, creases, tears, graffiti or stains. If it is has a couple folds or creases, then you'll want the paper to still be crisp and there be no damage to the ink.

Jwt708 likes this.
  17. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

in order, and using a July 2014 greensheet, with my guess at grade. some sigs were not clear, but I don't think it matters for the bills in question

1. 1880 $50 LT, Fr 159 or 160. in VG sheet is 1650/1800---YES
    2. Winona, Minnesota $1 NBN. Fr 383-386 in VF, sheet 875/975 YES
    3. 1896 $1 SC, Fr 225. in F sheet 260/285 NO. popular note, easy to sell
    4. 1886 $1 SC, Fr 221. VF sheet 300/330. NO.
    5 and 6. FRBNs are not very popular. in XF 120/130. NO'
    7. 1862 $1 LT. Fr 16 VF 425/475 YES
    8. 1899 $1 SC. Fr 236. VF 135/145 NO, popular bill, easy to sell. Mule?
    9. 1917 $1 LT. Fr 39 XF 105/115. NO. popular/easy. check for mule.

18. C G Memminger

second batch. highlights, in my opinion
    1922 $100 GC, Fr 1215 cool!! XF 2400/2675 YES
    1922 $50 GC, Fr 1200 VF 500/550. yes. check for mule

19. C G Memminger

third batch highlights: both 1899 $2 SC appear to be crisp. YES
    1882 $20 NBN Cresson rare dog. YES
    1862 $2 LT. nice yes
    1923 porthole. looks crisp. money !!

20. C G Memminger

you have a weirdo!! check the 1882 $5 NBN from Utica, NY. would appear to be a Fr 469. but check a picture of the brownback $5 NBNs....the sigs are centered horizontally in center of bill. Yours has two sigs (Rosecrans/Jordan) aligned vertically and left of center.... hmmm????

21. enochian

enochian silver eater

best to grade them and get tem out of that plastic might contain pvc

Draft saved Draft deleted