To grade or not to grade?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Timewarp

Timewarp Intrepid Traveler

Does the 1909 Indian head cent have a S mint mark on the reverse?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

nope i checked for that already, just a regular 1909, i was just looking on heritage auction results, it says there are only 3 10 dollar 1880 notes in population, last one sold for 184,000 its in one of my pics, is this true?

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Extremely nice notes, there's a damn Poker Chip note... a Poker Chip note! And an awesome looking Porthole, and two great mini portholes. I think the only thing my great grandfather gave me was a family history of heart disease...

Even the stamps are nice, great plate blocks.

If you sell it, get it graded first, and you can look at eBay and Heritage auction results to get a feel for pricing. If you aren't selling them all at once, if you post them here we can give you a general idea, and you may even get a buyer or two.

Anyone who looked at your notes and said they were worthless is a damned thief.

Oh, BTW that $3 is almost certainly not fake, it is an obsolete note - these were printed before centralized national currency. Before the government issued currency, banks issued their own under certain regulations. This is one of those notes.

Squaredeal likes this.
  5. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Times are tough right now, so the scandalous are surely on overdrive.... Glad to see collectors helping other collectors, I will def join this cmmunity

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful notes , stamps and coins . You're a lucky man .

7. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Im trying to pick 1 piece, to sell, that will help me start up a retirement fund, get the whole collection graded, Im not sure which would be the ideal one, the 10 dollar 1880
    these are some prospects ive found that i have

http://currency.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=418&lotNo=18556
    http://currency.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3512&lotNo=16895

The reserve bank notes look nice too, many are from areas on US which did not have large economies, i see many of these notes with 4 digit serial numbers, quite amazing, but the market on those is so subjective, theres like no pricing information

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

BTW , they didn't make large cents in the 1870s' . Everything else looks real . Definitely get them slabbed as they are worth a small fortune . Congrats .

9. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

well my gpa loved the art work so there is ton of novelty items in the collection, he worked at post office all his life, the stamp collection is immense, but the stamp market hasnt really appreciated fully, Ive been thinking if USPS goes down, or restructured or something stamps will become good market, maybe 10-15 yrs? They have been hemoraging money for years. Do people buy/sell on this website also?

10. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

and i havent heard ne1 about the 3 dollar note, that is a reproduction right?

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

No. Reread my post above. I edited it to add content.

On that first auction you posted - keep in mind that is for a very rare issue, that looks like but is different from yours. Your note is worth a couple grand - not a couple hundred grand like the one in the first auction.

12. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

No, I guess it's real too! I'm no paper money collector, but I can say that that "large cent" is indeed a fake. Just something fun that would usually have a hole put through it and be used as a key chain.
    Everything else looks incredible! Wow, CONGRATS!

13. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

wow thanks mec, that note doesnt seem to be worth much but knowing its real wow what a piece of history, ive noticed a lot of colonial currency is not expensive right? why is that?

14. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Thanks, ive been broke for 3 years, graduated college with 80,000 in debt, paid it off a year ago, then havent been able to find work. This will surely get me back on track investing in the financial markets.

15. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

God Bless you grandma and grandpa :)

16. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Here are your most valuable notes, using the numbers on the lower left. They are not in any particular order. Unfortunately I couldn't see the numbers on two of them:

1,2,5, 13 14 15 18 19 25 27 29 34 35 36 42 43 44 46 50 52 ($2 Battleship Reverse) ($10 Bison)

The pokerchip note, the brownbacks, the jackass, tombstones, windom, battleship, bison, chief, first charter national, porthole, martha, etc. Sorry, overload. Some of those are worth several thousand dollars each. I would get it slabbed and appraised. Currency prices don't seem to be going down any time soon. I wouldn't hurry to sell them.

My currency purchases have given me better returns than any other investment I've made. These notes are a very safe investment, with strong returns. Playing the market has a lot more risk. I'd hate to see you sell these for cash and lose it.

Squaredeal likes this.
  17. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

good point, thanks for the great advice funkee, i plan to hold most of them, but i will be investing in corporate bonds held to maturity, hopefully senior secured mostly (im a finance/econ) major

18. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

And thank you for taking the time

19. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

what are values of fractional currency like right now, and also military payment certs issue 681

20. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

I am particularly partial to your 1882 National Bank Notes...they have a lot of eye appeal and the their condition makes then more desirable then ones that are have been well circulated. That 1882 red seal First National Bank of Utica, New York is awesome. I don't know the population or auction records of these but i presume the $10 and $20 1882 Bank Notes would do really well in an auction. Thanks for sharing them.

21. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

travelantiques, whats ur specialty? coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted