To grade or not to grade?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Heres a bit of my collection that I am just getting money to be able to grade and protect, do you think bills in these condition/time period are worth the cost of grading?

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Are you $hi++ing me? **** yes! You can skip grading the Speelman Whites if you like but everything else should be graded and that $50 is EFFIN RIDICULOUS!!!

4. bonniview

bonniview Active Member

Nice collection. I'd get them graded.

5. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

cool seems like i found what i was looking for, a forum with collectors with good knowledge and helpful. If you all would like i can show u some others

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

And Thank you for your advice

7. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Post away - great to see things like this

8. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

DSCN0247.jpg DSCN0248.jpg DSCN0250.jpg DSCN0255.jpg My great grandfather did a good job eh? Many more to come

9. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

He sure did. The value on some of those notes alone would make me get them slabbed even if your plan is to keep them forever seeing as how they belonged to your great grandfather.

10. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

PMG,CGA, or the PCGS bill service? I was debating between PMG and CGA

11. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Wow! You inherited something special.

That 1880 $50 is a rare one. Only ~18 are known according to HA.com. It is assigned Fr. # 159. I don't have Track & Price running right now, so I can't confirm with the census.

That $1 Winona charter and the $1 educational note are fantastic.

Congratulations. I'd get them all slabbed. Regardless of the grade, it brings a nice premium because of the risks of buying ungraded large size notes.

Go with PMG or PCGS. They bring the highest premiums. Although CGA is under new ownership, their reputation has been tainted by the old CGA, who assigned some very loose grades.

12. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Heres some more

Attached Files:

13. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

cont.

Attached Files:

14. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

1 more of the large size then i have some different stuff, also, just to verify, that 3 dollar bill is fake right? the back is blank. We always assumed it was fake or a reproduction

Attached Files:

15. Heated Lime

Heated Lime Member

Wow you have some awesome notes. I would get a majority of the later dates graded.

16. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Thanks, I am very proud of it, there are also fractionals military payment certs, many coins, do u think the collection is worth a pedigree and documenting? Since I do not plan to sell a majority of it, only some pieces

17. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Stamps, i believe they are part of a collection but there is too much to go through....... figured id post these they have a lot of history imbedded in who are on the stamps DSCN0261.jpg DSCN0260.jpg

18. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Ive also been confused as to why these 3 coins were separate from the other bulk of coin collection and were with the large size bills, anyone know? 1909 indian penny, looks like never been touched, the indian penny is also in a set with a buffalo nickel with flat background i have read this is a rare variation right? 1883 morgan dollar, looks dark but the details on hair etc look mint, and an 1872 large one cent piece DSCN0258.jpg

19. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Ive had 10 dealers tell me my collection is worthless(before trying to buy it at fire sale prices), hard to know who to trust with this stuff

20. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Not a dealer! I'm not a paper collector, but they look amazing!

Welcome to CT by the way!

21. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Thanks, glad to share the viewing pleasure with others, thats what it is meant for

Draft saved Draft deleted