To Free or Not to Free?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Set it free or keep it as is?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2018.
  1. Keep it

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Free it

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

I got this Faustina Senior in the mail today, my first denarius with an empress on the obverse, something which had been on my want list for a while. I got it at a good price, probably in no small part thanks to the pendant mount it had been placed in. It is in pretty nice shape overall, with a reverse depicting Aeternitas holding a phoenix.

I was planning to remove it, but having it in hand it is a rather unusual sight, so I haven't made up my mind. What do you guys think?

Untitled.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I don't care for the minor bit of corrosion on the mount and if it won't be worn I'd set her free.

Gary R. Wilson likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Faustina says, "Set me free!"

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Aeternitas standing denarius.jpg

Ryro and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Unless you want or need it in you collection, and since it is already mounted, I would leave it. Either I would wear it or most probably give it to my wife (or someone special) to wear. I'm not a big fan of ancient coins being made into jewelry, but any damage is already done. That's one man's opinion.

galba68, Jay GT4, Clavdivs and 7 others like this.
  6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Agreed. I hate it when coins are made into jewellery, but in this case it is a fait accompli. Leave it as is, or risk further damage freeing it.

7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I think it depends. Sometimes coins have the edges smoothed or grinded flat to fit into a jewelry mount. If this is the case... I’d leave it.

But if you can tell the edges haven’t been altered, I’d free it.

harrync and Gary R. Wilson like this.
  8. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Isn't that one of those mounts you can open with a tiny screwdriver? I've had several like that - you can take the coin out, then if you want, you can put it back in. I've had a couple like that. With other type of mounts you have to destroy them to get to the coin.

I rather like coin jewelry, but this mount looks fairly modern, so it isn't really adding much, unless you want to wear it, of course (as Bing suggests).

Nice coin, by the way. The reverse style is particularly nice - some of these Faustinas seem to have been made in a bit of a hurry by the third-string celators. Yours was made by a pro.

Alegandron and harrync like this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool coin - I would free it if it can be done without damaging the coin.

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Bing, sounds like good advice. :happy:

12. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

For me, it would depend on how long it has been mounted like that. If the jewelry piece is antique, I'd be reluctant to break it apart for just the coin.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  13. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

free it for sure! It's not a very attractive mount.

14. Al Kowsky

Mr. Johnson. the mount is clearly modern & probably worth as much as the coin. So why not leave it as a jewelry item?

15. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

The mount isn't too old; it's marked STER (sterling) and has a copyright mark of some sort on it, so I would guess that it's fairly recent. There's not much melt value in that amount of sterling silver.

Still haven't made up my mind, but I'm going to check when I get home and see whether it's possible to easily remove it without damaging the mount, or whether or not it looks like there is any damage to the edge of the coin.

16. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's 'clearly modern' but if it is, to me that would be a reason to go ahead and take it apart. I'd still have to think about it, though. Is it worth more as a piece of jewelry or just the coin?

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I agree with Bing:)

But, I once saw a Postumus aurei that had been mounted in a bezel. The coin was expertly removed from its mount and still had great eye appeal, and you could not tell it had been ex; jewellery. Seeing it was EF+ condition/ doubt if it ever was worn.
    Back to the point, that coin being worth 90K was well worth freeing:) Its a really crazy thing to use a collector coin for jewellery purposes/ there are lots of modern restrikes that would be better.

18. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Count me in with the "set her free" crowd - it always bothers me to see an ancient coin turned into jewelry. I know it's completely subjective, but to me it's like treating the ancient coin as no better than modern everyday pocket change...aaarrrgh.

panzerman and Orange Julius like this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Silver is worth roughly 50 cents per gram. This bezel is not likely to exceed 2 grams (being extremely liberal and assuming it is pure, which it clearly is not) making it worth, again extremely liberal perhaps $3 (likely a lot less) on the extreme high side. The coin itself, well depending on where and when you are selling, is worth $20 to $60. If you are looking at pure monetary value, take it out from the bezel. It is a non-brainer. If you are worried about damaging the coin I dont think you could or will unless you use sharp instruments. Take it out. It will be worth far more. But then if you dont care about value, take it out anyway. Nearly nobody wants a coin in this manner.

Magnus87 and ycon like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I had these exact bezels when I used to travel overseas. I would wear some 1/4 toz Gold Eagles on a SS necklace as backup money under my shirt ( gold trades ANYWHERE in the world... especially 3rd World). Mine were a screw-in-a-barrel atop the bezel. Easy to screw the bezel around the coin, or remove with a small screwdriver. I wore them on trips from the late 70’s until a few years ago. Mine were gold, and never had an issue.

21. Al Kowsky

Ken Dorney, Don't confuse value for the melt value of the mounting. Don't forget there is a fabrication cost for the mounting as in all jewelry. When you buy an engagement ring or set of wedding rings the same idea applies. You're not going to get new jewelry for a tiny percentage over melt.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted