To Dip Or Not to Dip?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Oct 16, 2021.

?

Dip?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2021.
  1. Yes

22.6%
  2. No

58.1%
  3. What? Are you nuts?

12.9%
  4. Go soak you're head Green. You take a dip

6.5%
  1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And if so, with what?

Good afternoon guys. Back in 2014 I picked up a three coin set of Cincinnati Music Hall Commems (raw) and I hadn't pulled them out of storage for a few years, so when I did 2 days ago, I discovered some distracting 'smudge' around Stevens face on both the San fran and Denver coins. If this was anywhere else on the coin, I'd probably let it slide but it does bother me a bit. I popped them out of the 2x2's they were in, let them soak in a jar of acetone for a day, and that helped a bit but the problem is not solved (as I figured it wouldn't be). I don't want to dip the whole coin (as I've never done so before) but was wondering if a confined to 'distraction dip' (Ezest with a Q-tip?) might help...........or make matters worse? Anyway, here are some pics that I hope might be helpful to elicit advice.

DSC_5280-horz.jpg DSC_5280.JPG DSC_5283-horz.jpg DSC_5283.JPG

And take a moment to add a response to the poll. Choose wisely.......I'll be taking names. devil.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Nooooooo. They are beautiful coins. The carbon spot on the 39s obverse is a minor distraction, but I would be concerned about having a negative impact upon the really nice luster that the coins have.

TonkawaBill, GH#75, imrich and 3 others like this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Don't dip anything but yourself. You'll probably replace one distraction with another.

5. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I think they are beautiful as is, I wouldn't dip.

TonkawaBill, Bob Evancho and green18 like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I don't see why not on the second one. If you're not in too much money, what do you have to lose?

TonkawaBill and green18 like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They look happy just the way they are. A dip is going to bring out every little mark on the coin.

TonkawaBill, Bob Evancho and green18 like this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

You will like the surfaces even less after treatment than before. Assuming you don.t kill the luster, (which you probably will).
    Leave them be, they look great as they are. IMO

Bob Evancho and green18 like this.
  9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

When in doubt the Beatles shout it out.....Let It Be!

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I don't see anything there that's distracting enough to warrant dipping, and I'd be leery of attempting it, myself. Only the single dark spot behind his head on the S-mint piece is distracting to me, and that looks like the sort of thing that wouldn't come off with a dip, anyway. Otherwise, I don't see anything terribly objectionable there.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Most if not all silver dips are water based. They are usually strong enough to react with the darkened area very rapidly. But for the learner or one that doesn't want complete removal of color, but just lessened, can dilute the dip with distilled water to a ratio they can watch slowly changing and deciding when to withdraw the coin and rinse with distilled water to let dry in air or rinse with acetone before allowing it to air dry.

Things can still go badly, but it reduces a head-on wreck to a dented fender. I often use a 10% dip:90% water for delicate to 50:50 for deeper effect. I dump the mix after I am done for the moment. IMO, Jim

12. XanthenX

XanthenX Active Member

Absolutely not, if by dip you mean; soaking in anything other than acetone for any period unless you are professionally trained in coin conservation.

The pictured coins are beautiful without a doubt and to dip them would be a mortal sin.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you really want it done, send the coins to somebody who knows what they're doing !

mikenoodle, TonkawaBill, Mr.Q and 3 others like this.
  14. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I've finally managed to get my entire morgan set (date/mm) graded (a mix of the top 4 grading companies). Several of the coins I had were dipped though I never really noticed until I started comparing them to other MS63-64 examples. It became so obvious, and they will never be able to get a non-details grade. I agree with others in that if must clean/conserve a coin - let the pros do it; that's what you pay them for. I'd rather have a really nicely worn VF/EF coin than one that has been dipped/cleaned. Cheers!

green18 likes this.
  15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Why mess with a good thing, NO.

green18 and Tusky Ranger like this.
  16. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

The black spot might be a carbon spot. If it is, then you may be stuck with it. I don't know If they can be removed. Forum members here can give guidance on professional conservation. If your OK with the carbon spot, let it be. If you saw that coin with the carbon, would you buy it. If not, then sell it. You may sell for a loss, but the coin will not get any better.

Regarding dipping yourself, in your case, that's a HARD PASS!!. You will not like the results. Just live with the current results as best you can

green18 likes this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Your coins, your choice. Practice on junk silver before hand. Might be a learning experience for you and if it would make you happier with the coin, then it's up to you. We don't want to hear that you ruined a coin because so-and-so told you to dip it. LOL

18. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, coins age with time. These coins have aged naturally and that should be taken into account. If you've already soaked them in acetone, don't go any further. Any other attempt to clean them with other methods may be disastrous (or not, but do you really want to chance it?). Beautiful naturally aged coins, please don't take a chance to ruin them. IMHO if you want to preserve them from here-on-in place them in 2X2's and put them in a DANSCO 7000 album with the protective slip cover. It will slow down the aging process and protect your coins from harmful environmental actions.

green18 likes this.
  19. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I let my LDC dip two gold coins and they both graded higher than he or I expected.

20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I've tried the q-tip route, don't recommend it.
    There is always a bit of uncertainty involved in dipping a coin, and it looks like I'm going against the general opinion here but... if there is plenty of luster a really quick dip followed by an immediate rinse will often remove the smudge if it is light without any negative effects to the coin.
    We've all seen overdipped coins, and they're not pretty, but many certified, lustrous coins have been successfully dipped, we just don't know it.

But I agree, one should practice with low value coins before attempting anything with valuable coins. Get a lustrous 1964 quarter that has toned and a jar of EZest, and try it before you attempt anything nicer. (I think everyone who is into coins should do this just for the education.)

JMHO

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    john-charles, GH#75, green18 and 3 others like this.
  21. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

I would not! Nice coins w/o dipping.
    Semper Fi

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted