To dip, or not to dip? That's what I'm asking.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinJockey73, May 14, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yes, you have, even if you didn't recognize it...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

That is very much correct.

Kentucky and John Burgess like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Dipping any coin in less than Choice AU condition makes no sense. When you dip a coin, you are looking to enhance the luster. When there is no luster to enhance, there is no point in dipping.

Dipping is not necessary most of the time. If it is not done right, you will continue to do it because the many times the coin that retones from dipping will be ugly. It's a vicious cycle that not worth starting.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

I think dipping is done more to remove spots from toning, staining, etc. BTW, here is a worn coin before and after dipping that I just did to show how it looks...
    thumbnail_IMG_1702.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1704.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1703.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1705.jpg

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  6. johnmilton

Toning is part of a circulated coin. Removing it almost aways makes it less valuable. My advice DON’t DIP IT!

CoinJockey73 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Kentucky

But toning also occurs on uncirculated and proof coins and detracts from value as often (or more so) than it adds to value. Successfully removing toning can add to the value of some coins.

serafino and CoinJockey73 like this.
  8. johnmilton

Most collectors disagree with you, and so do virtually all dealers. If you want to lower the value of your circulated coins, clean or dip them. The coin you dipped above looks worse now.

9. Coll3ctor

Coll3ctor New Member

You could always break out the old school can of wax and give her a polish ;)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  10. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Depends on the extent of the toning/tarnish. I've seen/had 300 year old silver coins that were heavily toned almost black and they will look better with a careful dip. Heavy dark ugly toning can obscure the details of a coin. Conserving a coin is different than a harsh cleaning. There's levels to this ;)

Kentucky and CoinJockey73 like this.
  11. Kentucky

Try reading my posts again. I deliberately dipped the worn quarter to show why it is NOT a good idea to dip circulated coins. What I said in the other post applies to UNCIRCULATED and PROOF coins.

charley, masterswimmer and serafino like this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Your comment, multiple times, 'see how she wears' confuses me. Your Walker is not uncirc. It is a commerce used, working persons coin. It has been carried for a loooong time already, obviously. IMO all you have to do is look at your coin. You'll see right now, without any additional carrying, 'how she wears'.

Please enlighten me. What changes, other than continued degradation of its condition, do you expect or hope to see from making it a pocket coin any further?

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  13. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I started carrying two walkers that hadn't seen the light of day in 40+ years. They were dirty and grimy, much like this coin. They are now quite shiny and clean, just from jingling them in my pocket, with other loose change. I should have done before and afters. I think i mentioned it earlier, that this coin feels tacky. It has no other value than spot, might as well experiment.
    Nice thing is, we've all seen the before pics on this one, lol.

Edit* by the way, the age and sights seen by this coin, aren't lost on me. I have hundreds, if not a thousand, old coins just sitting around, i could carry to see the process with my own eyes. This one just seemed like a good candidate, as it's been locked in a flip, for who knows how long.
    There's no rhyme or reason why people do what they do, you must know that. Something that seems quite rational to you, may seem absurd to me. It's what makes us human, lol.
    Thank you for your insight though. I always enjoy your well thought out contributions.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Kentucky and masterswimmer like this.
  14. Douglas Ross

Douglas Ross Member

I have always followed the guideline to not clean or dip coins, however, I am looking for advice on some Morgans I had graded by a dealer over 10 years ago. Some came back with good grades but had the indications of "cleaned" or lightly cleaned" which essentially ruined the grade. I see that NGC has restoration services when you submit for grading and was wondering about sending them in to get cracked, restored and reslabbed. Has anyone gone this way? Thanks

CoinJockey73 and Kentucky like this.
  15. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Hello, @Douglas Ross...who graded your coins, a certification service or a dealer?
    In general, "restoration" cannot fix an improperly cleaned coin, it would more refer to professionally cleaning, removing spots, etc. in a way that does not damage a coin. You could start a new thread, with pictures if possible...you might get more responses and it's a little better etiquette than redirecting someone else's thread. Welcome to the fun.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  16. Douglas Ross

Douglas Ross Member

Thanks so much for your kind response. Coin was graded and slabbed by a dealer in Wisconsin, I am in Miami. Sorry to latch onto you, as I searched the topic and could not determine how to start a new topic/thread. Will work on it and post some photos. Cheers!

longshot likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Welcome to CT. As has been said, the TPG (Third Party Graders) have a conservation service that will try and remedy surface defects such as spots, etc. As far as alleviating the effects of cleaning (harsh cleaning), the only remedy I have ever seen is to carry the coin around until added wear erases the effects of the harsh cleaning and drops it down a grade or two, but allows it to grade as clean.

Douglas Ross and serafino like this.
  18. Douglas Ross

Douglas Ross Member

Thanks I will try out TPG. So by "carrying around" would mean getting lot's of handling on it? Looks like I'll have a lucky Morgan to show folks... ;-)

19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Yes just put it in your pocket...handle it a little....just expose it to a coin's normal life...

Douglas Ross likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted