To dip or Not to dip, that is the question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

What do you guys think. I'm a little hesitant to dip better dates that are a bit on the dark side as it's not a sure fire bet it will turn out well. The coin does have amazing luster and I can see nothing underneath that will give it a details grade. It isn't so dark that I can't see under the color. The areas I'm concerned about where it is too dark is the back of the hair and stars opposite it. If the rest of the coin comes out well but still leaves traces inside the recesses of the hair I'm screwed.

What I don't like is how the color makes the planchet roller lines look like damage that someone added color to try to hide which is not the case, and there is pullaway, but that's not to say a grader won't think that with a 5 second scan and QC it. Plus, if it does come out right I will get more money for a nice blast white 63 than a 63 with this color even if it straight grades as is. #Decisions

20171106_103547.jpg 20171106_103611.jpg 20171106_103503.jpg 20171106_103439.jpg 20171106_103418.jpg 20171106_103402.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

No dip! Usually coins with a gray surface may not "blast!" Nice original color.

PS Any profession who thinks that is damage should be sent home with no lunch!

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

NO!

The 'scrapes' on the chin will really stand out

Galen59 likes this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A numismatist's equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath should apply here: simply "do no harm". Any perceived potential upside does not justify or outweigh the risks or downside imo.

6. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

I agree it looks good as is. why bring out more problems

7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I like it the way it is, since the toning gives it a good contrast.

Obone likes this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Those aren't PMD scrapes. They're planchet roller lines. You can see slightly see them on the reverse too above the arrow tips

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I like it as is and wouldn't do a thing to it.

10. BooksB4Coins

My guess is that @Treashunt wrote "scrapes" as he did for the lack of a better term, and not because he believed them to be PMD.

Insider likes this.
  11. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I like the look of it now.

Thanks,
    Jacob

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I can't speak for Frank but I sure think those marks on the face are scrapes - not roller marks. And I'm of the opinion they occurred after the coin toned.

Now similar lines that we see in the fields, those might be roller marks. And they are toned as roller marks would be.

As for dipping the coin, I wouldn't. From what I can see the coin has obvious wear on it and if dipped it would stand out like a sore thumb. Stands out pretty well as it is, to my eyes anyway.

Galen59 and tommyc03 like this.
  13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Are you really not talking my word that they are roller lines Doug. Where's the eye roll emoji? I can guarantee you that they are. They go through the ear & hair too but the higher strike filled them out a bit there so they are more light in terms of depth. The depth of them at the cheek prevented the toning from going fully into the recesses.

Insider likes this.
  14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'd leave it as is. I like the look of it and would send it to PCGS and see how it goes.

15. BooksB4Coins

I was simply speculating as to his intent based solely upon how he presented his response, and the tag was intended as a request to clarify if he wished to do so.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Geez. Not a single person thinks I should dip her. I guess I'll send her in like this. Let's get @SuperDave's opinion first though. Thanks guys.

And as if my word isn't good when it comes to Morgan's (SMF), especially on something so basic as the difference between roller lines and PMD, this should put it to bed for you Doug. Although I will acquiesce that it does mimic PMD well on this one with how the toning manifested but my word should be all that is needed.

20171106_140036.jpg 20171106_140043.jpg 20171106_140115.jpg

jtlee321 likes this.
  17. jtlee321

I believed you bud. You've looked at at least a couple dozen Morgans over the years. :rolleyes:

Those last images should most undoubtedly put to rest the question of roller lines vs. PMD.

Cascade likes this.
  18. jtlee321

From what I can see with those last few pictures, it looks like the toning did not take due to a planchet flaw just below the surface that was exposed while being drawn through the draw bench. That white looks familiar, as I've seen it on other Morgans.

Insider likes this.
  19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Don't dip - that isn't dark at all. And I don't think it's worth sending to a TPGer unless it's a tough VAM. But it is an 87-S, so not common, so on second thought...

Cascade likes this.
  20. BooksB4Coins

Please forgive me, but what does "SMF" mean in this instance? I'm guessing it's something other than what google is telling me....

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's a VAM 5A which seems to be rather rare but that doesn't mean it will add a premium. And being a $250+ coin yes, it should be slabbed to see a maximum return unless someone wants it for $200 now ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted