To Dip, or not to Dip, that is the question.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Feb 24, 2015.

?

Does this coin get a dip?

1. Yes, the coin is ugly.

10.6%
  2. Yes, the coin is artificially toned.

10.6%
  3. What are you thinking, why would you do such a thing!

23.4%
  4. No, coin looks fine.

55.3%
  5. I'm not sure. Because...

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

I would like to see the after effect also, but it is not my MONEY :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Do not dip. The coin looks just fine. It may look much worse after dipping.

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I know that blue can be indicative of AT, but I've seen many a deep blue au natural (i.e. this 1944 Washington, which now resides in an NGC MS66 holder). IMG_2593.jpg

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I know that blue can be indicative of AT, but I've seen many a deep blue au natural (i.e. this 1944 Washington, which now resides in an NGC MS66 holder). View attachment 391952

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Don't disagree sir, that is why I said it could be natural, but it was just rarer that its natural than AT. Like I said, I would send it in. If it were AT the reverse would be affected as well IMHO. My honest opinion is the coin was dipped at one time, hence what I view as lower luster, and has retoned the blue naturally.

7. That's a good book btw

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Depends what you plan to do with it after it's dipped and slabbed.

If you're keeping it, I'd say do whatever makes you feel better, keep and enjoy your coin.

If you intend to sell it after it's dipped and slabbed, I'd just send it in and see what happens. If it then comes back AT, I'd consider a dip at that point; otherwise, once it's in the slab, it's going to be treated by the market as de facto NT and you can sell it as such.

The reason I suggest this is that you say the luster is already muted. Dipping certainly isn't going to improve the situation, but, if it's come back AT once, you've got little to lose at that point.

9. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

What products do you who clean coins use? Are they different per metal?
    If NCS were to conserve any coin, would they dip or use electrolysis?
    I'd think any dipping product would be a destructive process, where running electricity through pieces, using the same metal as the electrode on the + side would be non-destructive.
    As for this OP's coin having color on only 1 side, wouldn't a book with paper backing the coins only allow the environment to only effect the side of any coin exposed to the atmosphere? So, any MS coin could be natural/clean on the protected side while toning as the OP's silver looks?

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My opinion mirrors Jason's, I say dip it and hope for the best.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I kinda wonder if the coin was not dipped once before, and since re-toned. (And I'm not even going to address AT/NT.) I say that because it looks like there might be some minor pitting in the rev fields. If it was dipped again, that would surely be revealed.

12. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Flip a coin... heads leave it be..... tails dippitydoo.... In all seriousness if it were mine id probably leave it either way(submit or keep raw) why? Not because of QC but i couldnt afford to make a couple hundred dollar mistake w ruining it... thats y i say flip the darn thing and let the coin speak 4 itself

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh no, not another one of the form, "I like the toning, I hope it's not AT." Is it a commodity, do you want to sell it? Then, dip it. Do you want to keep it, are you collecting it? Then forget what they think.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Leave it be......looks just fine to these old eyes.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That is the problem with the toning, it is muted and not particularly attractive. I would dip it, but carefully so you can stop at an intermediate stage of surface modification.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

rlm's cents and BadThad like this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It will not look better after you dip it. Even if it grades after doing so, it'll be very hard to sell.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It's already pretty flat and dull, possibly an old cleaning. Coins like this are best left alone.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I submit that it already is hard to sell.

20. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I don't see this getting any better, but it can become worse.

21. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

No. Hydrocarbon compounds containing fluorine or other halogens are very reactive chemically and are anything but inert. Take a look at an introductory college organic chemistry textbook and you'll see that these are reactive. Moreover, even on coinage metals that wouldn't normally react, side reactions with air are possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted