To Clean or Not to, hey look!! A squirrel!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sam Stone, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

That's great! Thanks, and I consider it a compliment just reading my posts so you couldn't hijack it if you tried.

Did I miss something, if did you just write those lyrics?

Hookman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sam Stone

Supertramp had a song with the tag line "bloody well right," and I'm pretty sure that's the title, too. GREAT production on that song. Great intro, great guitar work, subtle key change, and great soft/hard rock contrast. One of my favorites.

Any more 70s lyric challenges?

Thanks, by the way.

Cheech9712 and Hookman like this.
  4. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I had a girlfriend that fit this lyric: "All you did was wreck my bed/And in the morning kick me in the head"

Sam Stone likes this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Let's see.....The singer is Rod Laver and the song is "Maggie Thatcher"....Right??

lol

Oh Darn, I'm only about half right on both.

Sam Stone likes this.
  6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Say goodnight, Hookman.

Kentucky, Sam Stone and Hookman like this.
  7. Irenel

Irenel New Member

It sounds like you may be the best person to ask this unrelated question to in regards to cleaning silver jewelry. One direction I read said the best way to clean tarnished silver is to-
    1. boil water in a small pot 2. put a piece of aluminum foil in it covering the bottom of the pot 3. drop a piece of tarnished silver jewelry in 4. add baking soda and leave for a few seconds while moving the jewelry around so it touches the aluminum foil. My question is does this really clean tarnish off the jewelry or is it removing some of the silver? Thanks

Hookman likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, the tarnish is a chemical compound between silver and (usually) sulfur, so when you remove the tarnish, that silver does go away. It's a tiny amount, though.

Hookman likes this.
  9. Sam Stone

By the way, the flip side of that 45 was my favorite of Rod Stewart's. Any chance anyone knows what it is without looking it up?

Hookman likes this.
  10. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

That's cruel. It's been too long since I had the 45. I'm going to say "You're In My Heart" but I think that actually come later.

Hookman likes this.
  11. S3R3NDIPITY

S3R3NDIPITY New Member

What I think is happening is that the bicarb aluminium method is reverse engineering the silver or gold back. That’s the way it seems to work with my gold and silver bullion coins when it removes the red spots or tarnish.

Hookman and Sam Stone like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Here's the reaction:
    3 Ag2S(s) + 2 Al(s) → 6 Ag(s) + Al2S3(s)

The only problem is whether the silver plates or adheres or if it just forms a powder or sponge.

-jeffB and Hookman like this.
  13. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Could it be Every Picture Tells A Story? That's one my favoites.

Hookman and Sam Stone like this.
  14. Sam Stone

Agreed, but my circle of friends at the time would have accused me of unmanly things if they ever found out I had listened to his music. Better to collect coins I think.

Hookman likes this.
  15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If I'm too lazy to clean my house then I'm surely not going to clean my coins!

Kentucky, Hookman and Sam Stone like this.
  16. -jeffB

The problem is that the reduced silver or gold doesn't plate back onto the coin in its original structure. It's more likely to form a loosely-adhering layer or fall off, as @Kentucky said.

Dipping a lightly-tarnished coin can work because the tarnish layer is so very thin that the lost metal is undetectable. Wait too long to dip it, or dip it too long, and the loss is detectable, usually as loss of luster (because the fine high points of flow lines are among the first features to go).

Kentucky and Hookman like this.
  17. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

You can't put back what's not there.

Silver or gold electroplating works by taking silver or gold electrons from a sacrificial piece of silver or gold. The electricity excites the electrons in the larger piece of silver or gold and causes them to move to the lesser piece of metal, thus electroplating the secondary piece of metal.

In the case of the bicarb situation it is a chemical, not electrical, process. Tarnish on silver (gold doesn't tarnish) is a chemical reaction between the silver molecules and some other molecules(I've heard that it's sulphur, I am not a chemist). Silver tarnish is actually silver and when the tarnish is removed, actual silver is actually removed.
    How much silver is removed?
    Unless you have an extremely sensitive measuring device, you may never be able to tell.
    For example, when you firmly wipe or polish a silver coin, the luster will be lost, but can you weigh the coin before and after and tell the difference?
    Probably not unless you have an extremely sensitive measuring device.
    However, with a microscope you can see, like others have said, that the polish lines are gone and that is missing silver.

To be clear, I am NOT a scientist of any kind, and I have simply provided a "layman's" explanation of these processes, (as I understand them), for discussion purposes only.

Please carry on.

EDIT : Replace "polish lines" with "flow lines".

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Think about your car battery, it loses lead from the electrodes as you use it to start and then replates as it charges...after awhile, the redeposited lead sloughs off and shorts out.

19. -jeffB

And even after the first time or two, I'm guessing the mint luster is long gone.

Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  20. Kentucky

Yup, no longer MS70

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted