To Clean or Not to, hey look!! A squirrel!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sam Stone, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

There's hardly a person in America over 50 who hasn't heard "Alice's Restaurant" and doesn't know who Arlo Guthrie is. My favorite Arlo song is "The City of New Orleans".
    Funny coincidence, I was watching an interview with John Sebastian on YouTube last night and he was being asked what it was like to grow up in Greenwich Village with all that was going on at the time. He mentioned his "Uncle" Burl, Burl Ives, having brought a rather unkempt but polite man over to his (John's) house after he was on his own, and asking if the man, who was "out of pocket", could bunk down at his place for a few days. Of course John Sebastian allowed him to stay.
    As it turned out, the polite stranger was Woody Guthrie.

Rust_junky, Heavymetal and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Arlo also had a very funny song/story about riding his motorcycle. Don't remember the song title.

Hookman and Sam Stone like this.
  4. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

I have found that song and this forum has something in common: you can get anything you want. As long as anything you want involves good advice.

Hookman likes this.
  5. Sam Stone

That's a great American story. Let's see if you underinterpretate that. No matter what, it's still a good story. If you get a chance, take a quick look at this link you forced me to look up.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:People_from_Greenwich_Village

Thanks for the great feeling I get to sleep on (my wife was impressed too).

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Sam Stone

Well, Mr. Pickle, it's called the Motorcycle Song and I think there may be a studio and a live version. If I'm right I'm sure the one I favor is the live version.

Someone mentioned City of New Orleans, which is one if those songs it may be illegal not to like. It also brought his name out if his father's shadow in pop culture, but you don't really have to be die hard to know Alice and the motorcycle. Over 50 probably, but not die hard.

Thanks.

7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yep, the live version is the best since he tells the whole story and gets the audience to sing along on the chorus. And yes, it does date us!

8. Sam Stone

Even if we were older than everyone we've ever known, just knowing this stuph makes a person a stud, or studette, not "old."

9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

But I'm not old, I'm retro!

Sam Stone and -jeffB like this.
  10. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I'm vintage. I've lived through the sixties twice.

DaveisCrazy and Sam Stone like this.
  11. Hookman

The hook to the Motorcycle Song is :

" I don't want a pickle, I just wanta ride on my motorcycle " (pronounced 'motorsickle' )

John Skelton likes this.
  12. Hookman

Please explain what you mean. Since I'm older, fatter, balder, grayer, uglier (not really), lazier, and more married than you (in that my wife has passed already so I've gone beyond that) perhaps I should be the one to say "Whatever do you mean?".
    Since 'underinterpretate" is a word that I've seldom if ever used, and in fact, have seldom if ever seen used, I looked it up and found the word spelled 2 different ways : under interpret and under-interpret, depending on which dictionary you use, but not "underinterpretate". I'm assuming that was not intentional, but caused by auto-correct?
    Anyway, I wasn't trying to interpret anything, either over or under. I was just retelling a story, as I said, that I heard in an interview with John Sebastion, that I felt was both interesting and germane to our group discussion.

I checked that link and there are a very large number of people from Greenwich Village, including John Sebastian, who many of us have certainly heard of, though I have never personally met any of them.

Now, pray tell, what was that great feeling you got to sleep on that so also impressed your wife?

Sam Stone likes this.
  13. DaveisCrazy

DaveisCrazy Member

Huh? You remember the sixties? Just joking...:smuggrin:

ja59 and Sam Stone like this.
  14. Sam Stone

No, I have some words I made up or plagiarized many years ago. Underinterpretate is a combo of understand and interpretate I think is a Word not used in English any more, all to indicate comprehension. If I'm seriously confused over something I may use misunderinterpretate prefaced by severiously (mixes severe and serious) meaning I REALLY don't understand and definitely need help.

I am a former semi professional musician/songwriter in Christian music, but I've always been a severious music lover and late 60s and 70s are my favorites. Woody and Arlo are people I greatly respect, so the good feeling was you helped me get past my tendency to whine. Instead, I went right to sleep that night with This Land is Your Land and City of New Orleans in my brane. I can lay in bed worrying for hours over things I can't control in my feeble mind even though I know it always works out. So, I was thanking you for a rare good night's sleep.

Mentally, you gave me a gift for which I was thankful for. Still am.

Hookman likes this.
  15. Sam Stone

Post note. If you're ever brave enough, ask me what I called the saxophone player in one of the rock bands I played with many years ago. My friends called my nonsensical words 'sam'antics instead of semantics.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I'll bite Yogi, what did you call the saxophone player? My guess is Horatio (Hornblower).

17. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

Didn't mean to hijack Sam Stone's thread, by bringing up Alice's Restaurant. Though I did know on this forum, I wouldn't be the only one to see Sam's reference to the song.

BUT.........

In the spirit of the off topic portion of this thread, the following has to be the funniest, and best reply I think I've seen on this forum:

Great thinking and comeback Kentucky!! Nice to see how you can take a classic song and make it fit here ! :):D:happy:

Hookman, Sam Stone and Kentucky like this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your bloody well right. Where have i heard that before.

Sam Stone likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You found W's. So proud

Kentucky, Sam Stone and Hookman like this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cheech9712, Sam Stone and Hookman like this.
  21. Sam Stone

He always brought an alto and tenor sax, so we called him........... Bisaxual.

John Skelton, Rust_junky and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted