To clean or not to clean? Silver French 1851 5 Francs Cérès

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ancientdia, Nov 30, 2020.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not national preferences, it was actually global preferences. Ya see, from a historical perspective it's only been in recent years that things changed. And they haven't changed everywhere even yet. Prior to about 1960 most collectors worldwide routinely cleaned their coins, and most of the time not in a proper way. And it was pretty much everybody's opinion that that's what they were supposed to do.

Now there had always been collectors who didn't agree with that philosophy and would not clean their coins, but they were very few in number. But around 1960 those numbers began to slowly, very slowly at first, change. It wasn't until the 1980's that the concept of not harming the coins when cleaning them began to gain acceptance on a wider basis.

Today, there are still some people, worldwide, that see no harm in what is now referred to as improper and or harsh cleaning. To them, picking up a coin and wiping it with a cloth doesn't hurt anything. In other cases this is due to a lack of knowledge on their part, they don't understand, don't realize what they are doing to the coin with their actions/methods. And it wasn't, and in some cases still isn't always just ordinary collectors doing this improper cleaning. For example, in recent years, and they may still do it for all I know, The Smithsonian would routinely pick up the coins in the US Collection and wipe them down with cloths. Many other museums worldwide would do exactly the same thing, and some still do. Now they probably know better today but they also know that they have been doing it for centuries so doing some more really isn't going to hurt anything.

But you are correct in a way. Europe is one of the places where improper/harsh cleaning is still more widespread than it is elsewhere. Many dealers and collectors alike in Europe simply don't see anything wrong with it. And there are still those in the US that feel the same way, but their numbers are and have been steadily decreasing for some time now due to the ease at which knowledge can be disseminated in today's world.

Ancientdia likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

I never clean my coins other than to remove dirt and crud with a dip in acetone, sadly some people use things as harsh as metal polish to make their coins appear bright. The vast majority
    of European collectors I know have the same hatred of clean coins that I have, so really Doug your post is a little wide of the mark.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Leave it alone it has good eye appeal and is worthy of a slab. Thanks for posting it.

5. Ancientdia

Ancientdia New Member

Actually I know an awful lot who are the opposite. I've seen collections so shiny that you could use them as a mirror (we're talking 19th century and earlier coins) and most of the dealers I've seen here do polish their items (I'm guessing using silver polish).

So I can understand the statement.

Maybe it just depends on the circles you mix with? I know some collectors can be very... "Defensive" about the "way to do things".

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me. If you suspect there may be horn silver deposits, sodium thiosulfate will that that right off in a jiffy

7. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Nothing looks as gross as a Tudor hammered coin with a highly polished surface, I have seen some absolute horrors in my time.

8. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Your gut feeling seems right. The 1834 coin is evidently well-circulated, but what is even more evident; it just seems too clean for a coin that's been through what that one has! The 1851, on the other hand has good detail since it has a lot fewer "touches". I agree with Kentucky- it's dirty. Where you or someone else have been handling it, the dirt is rubbing off, which signifies to me that it could have had a dirty secret in its past, like a lengthy interlude in a muddy (or worse) gutter! Could be that the dark staining is someone's nose grease- skin oils, mixed with dirt. Perhaps a gentle bath isn't out of line here. Ah, the gutters of Paris....

Draft saved Draft deleted