TN Man Arrested After Spending Old $50 Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Hobo, May 1, 2012.

1. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Most store clerks put too much faith in those counterfeit detector pens when checking currency that customers spend. A positive result does not always mean the note is genuine and a negative result does not always mean the note is fake. Older US notes were not made from the same paper as modern notes and do not respond the same to the counterfeit detector pens.

And it is sad how many people only know modern currency and think anything different from modern currency must be counterfeit.

[h=1]Old $50 bill found real, but not before bearer arrested[/h]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

You know, You would think with all the access to everything because of the internet people would make better informed decisions. Purely idiotic!

4. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

These cops need to update their knowledge on the actual law as well, even if it were fake, if the person holding it thought it was real and wasn't intentionally trying to pass off a counterfeit bill as legal tender, there's nothing they can do about it except confiscate the counterfeit bill. The requirements to become a police officer should be more strict.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They are just too quick to arrest, without any knowledge.

Hey, how about those eBay fakes?

Sic that cop on them!

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Well, you have to think in the terms of the law. Although counterfeit coins are illegal, the seller isn't actually trying to spend them as legal tender when they put them up for sale. When they're for sale, they turn into a product you are actually buying. The seller is not using it to buy something themselves. That's likely why the cops aren't sitting around trying to determine what's real and what isn't on eBay, they have better things to do and it's not really they're job, that's really the secret service and we all know what they do in their spare time! ;)

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

How old do you guys think the bill was? I'm surprised they didn't mention that.

8. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

Is it illegal to have a counterfeit bill? I ask because a "certain" person I might or might not know went to get gas at the local gas station a couple of years ago and paid with cash. As he walked out to pump the gas, the clerk called him back in the store and said that 1 of the tens he paid with was a fake. He apologised and gave her another ten. She gave him the fake ten and he has had it sitting in a safe ever since then. He thought it was kinda cool, even though he got taken for $10. He was just glad that it wasn't a $100.:)

9. Owle

Owle Junior Member

He should sue for false arrest! The guy who was arrested by trying to spend his $2 bills at a Wal-mart near Baltimore sued and won a large award. Economic penalties are sometimes the only thing that teaches ignorant cops and companies to do the right thing.

10. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

According to the law, you should turn it in. They're not gonna come after him though if he does keep it but if he ever tries to pass it off as real legal tender knowing it was indeed fake, then he can get in trouble. The gas station clerk did the wrong thing though, they should have kept it to turn back in, not give it back.

11. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

One of the many things that drives me insane is the fact that out of some sort of fear of being sued for making a mistake, government officials rarely ever apologize when they do make a mistake.

I gotta give Officer Brock Horner some respect for doing the right thing and apologizing to Lorenzo for the mistake he made. That would mean a lot to me if I was in his shoes.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

some people have counterfeit COLLECTIONS.... not illegal to OWN, just to PRODUCE, and/or knowingly spend. If he had 10 more in his wallet when arrested, he'd need a good lawyer. It's always innocent people that pay for the ignorance of others. I hope he sues the pants off of everyone involved: clerk, store, officers, and PD. The endless persecution for county/state revenue must stop. The first step is to make stupid people accountable.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

But who would pay? The cop? No, it would be the innocent taxpayer who once again would be asked to pay for something they did not incur. :(

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe that will make the taxpayer pay more attention when they vote for the people that want to run the show.
    Isn't the voter/taxpayer ultimately responsible?

15. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Some type of mediation and monetary compensation would be reasonable solutions IMO.

I am against ridiculous lawsuits and in favor of reasonable compromises.

Cities like New York spend $10s of millions a year in settlements for police brutality, wrongful death and false arrest. Not that money is the solution--certainly there needs to be tort reform and caps on some settlements. No one has refused the Eisenhowers I have been spending freely, just a few weird looks.:confused:

16. medoraman

Theoretically. Let me ask you this, when was the last time you quizzed your local authorities about their hiring procedures concerning civil servants and their programs they have in place to teach them such things? I will be honest and say I never have, and I am probably more active in local politics than the average joe.

Yes, its nice to say in theory things could change, but do you really think taxpayers should be expected to do what I mentioned and always keep on top of such issues?

Sorry, I just have a pet peeve about suing government officials, since the only ones who profit are the lawyers usually and the taxpayer always gets the bills. If you wanted to punish this cop, then elect officials who will put in place disciplinary procedures and eliminate such officers, make it an election issue.

Chris

17. rickmp

I expect my mayor to hire an honest and qualified police chief. I expect that police chief to hire honest and qualified police officers. I expect those police officers to do the best job they can and not cause me, as a taxpayer, to have to pay anyone any amount for false arrest, brutality or any other reason. When this happens, it is ultimately the mayor's responsibility, and he must be replaced, along with everyone down the chain of command.

18. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I watched a clerk use a detector pen on one of the new polymer (plastic) $50 we have here in Canada. She wasn't going to accept the note until I and her manager convinced her that this was indeed real money and yes it was made of plastic. She was still skeptical but took the note anyway.

19. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

So the guy got a little humiliated and lost a day of his time. Why is this country so sue happy? I swear one day you won't even be able to look at another person in fear of them suing you if they didn't like the way you looked at them. This was a mistake made due to ignorance, no reason to sue anyone, just move on I say. Ughhh, the sue happy people of this country disgust me.

If you sat in jail for years, then released, you deserve some compensation. If a doctor amputates the wrong leg, then you have the right to sue, but spending likely a few hours in a holding cell, you got the apology and these people learned they were being ignorant, time to move on instead of dragging it out and ruining others lives financially and possibly saving tax dollars that are better spent on more meaningful things that actually help people..

20. rickmp

At what pint do you stop being forgiving? At what point do you say enough is enough?
    If you don't hit them in the only place that will hurt them, the wallet, they will always remain ignorant, and will keep making the same "mistakes". That type of mind is never enlightened until its bank account is lightened.

21. medoraman

Of course sir, we all would. Put it in this position though. You expected such things, but they screwed up, hired a uninformed policeman. The policeman did something wrong. Now do you feel pleasure in having to pay $1000 extra in property taxes for the next 20 years due to their actions? Was this really your fault? How could you have prevented it? That would be the assumption, that YOU could have prevented it, it has to be the assumption if they are going to make you pay the bill.

How would you feel writing those extra zeros every single year when someone 3 degrees removed from your decision at the ballot box did something wrong?

This is why I am all for disciplinary hearings, barring someone from public employment, etc. etc, but I disagree with lawsuits against taxpayers. Just my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted