Tired and Worn out, but Unmistakably...Vitellius.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

These are some recent pictures of my tired and worn out Concordia sestertius of Vitellius.

In spite of the extensive wear, I find this hefty sestertius still has a certain charm....and of course, that unmistakable Vitellian bust. I really like it.
    The planchet is somewhat 'dished', and this probably accounts for the fact that the portrait is still well outlined while most of the reverse is gone.
    (It was still a worthwhile purchase for all of 30-40 Marks back in the late 80's or early 90's. Those were the times....)

I have been trying to find the WildWinds reference for this type, but was unable to. Maybe I am not looking right. Can any body pls. point me in the right direction?

acsearch lists only one recorded auction appearance for this type, with the following attribution:

Vitellius. AD 69. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Laureate and draped bust right / Concordia seated left, holding branch and scepter. RIC I 133.

Vitellius Sestertius Concordia OBV1 N  - 1.jpg Vitellius Sestertius Concordia REV1 N  - 1.jpg

Post, if you like, those worn out bronzes which hold special appeal for you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I can’t help with the attribution, but the coin and its history are awesome :)

Eduard likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Just a suspicion: RIC 133, see here.

Eduard likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice in spite of the wear @Eduard

Eduard likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Agreed

Eduard likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's the listing in BMCRE1 (it is also RIC 133, p.275):

Capture.JPG

And here's the example in the British Museum collection:

Capture 1.JPG

9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice addition! The coin is worn but still the face features are clearly recognizable. As i see it, of the Vitellius sestertii, there are two more common sestertius reverse types of Vitellius: mars walking, pax standing. The fact that i say they seem to be more common is by the way worth nothing, because it is only based on the types i usually see appearing in auctions. Yours is RIC 133, concordia seated. I don't see the concordia type on wildwinds, (which i use alot) and i think thats strange? My volume of Sear has it listed as Sear 2207 (Ric 133).

Suprisingly when searching on acsearch (Vitellius concordia sestertius) i find 6 times a Galba sestertius, with green/yellow patina, being offered by Hirsh Nachfolger: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2017, 2018, 2019. Some unhappy buyers i guess...

Eduard and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my tired and worn out Galba. The first century sestertii are amazing in hand, so heavy.

normal_Galbasest.jpg

SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG TR P
    Laureate head left

CONCORD AVG SC
    Concordia, seated left on low-backed chair, holding an olive branch

Rome October 68 AD

24.07g

BMC 55, RIC 381, Cohen 28, Sear 2115

Eduard, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 2 others like this.
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you very much @Roman Collector for posting the BMCRE reference, and for posting images of the example in that collection. Beautiful coin.
    (It did not occur to me to look in BMCRE...)

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Jay, that is a nice coin - I find that it quite appealing. Thank you for posting it.
    I have a Galba Sestertius with a very similar appearance.

Jay GT4 likes this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@Limes I agree with your assessment concerning the Mars and Pax types for Vitellius sestertii. These two, specially Pax are by far the most common types.
    That is also what makes the Concordia type interesting - it appears to be quite scarce. Together with the BMCRE example which Roman Collector posted, that makes it a total of 3 examples including mine. I expect, that more are out there, but it remains a scarce type.
    I am also surprised that it is not listed in Wildwinds.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  14. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Very nice coin.. I am yet to own a Vitellius.
    As for your request to post worn bronzes that appeal to me.. well I could just close my eyes and randomly pick one of my coins as almost all of them fit this category.:)

At the moment I am very partial to this Trajan sestertius.. although my favorite coin seems to change weekly...

TrajanSestertiusMERGE.jpg

TIF, Jay GT4, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  15. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

No damnatio memoriae for this guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted