Tips to remove Glued Obsolete + Confederate Banknotes from cardboard?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by coin0709, May 28, 2022.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hi CT,
    Does anyone have advice on how to safely remove these glued banknotes? I’ve tried ironing them to melt the glue but no success. Other ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hopefully one of the paper money experts pops in with good advice ( I am not one of them). There was a lot of reprints( fake) that were printed, some one sided and placed in frames a few decades ago to sell in magazine ads.
    If there is anything to indicate their age it might help as some glues are water soluble, some alcohol soluble, hide glue may need an enzyme solution, epoxy types (no) etc. I personally would worry about what removing them would do with the possible ink printing on reverse . If you have done woodworking you probably know about different glues, so knowing a possible time frame for the glue used, might help. Jim

Evan Saltis and Matthew Kruse like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

This is just me, so take it anyway you want.
    I'd cut the notes apart from the backing paper and then hold each, individually, over a tea kettle or other steaming device and see if you can separate it. If you've ever watched some of those old movies where the person "steams open" an envelop, well it does work on certain glues.

Tamaracian, Stevearino and coin0709 like this.
  5. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Excellent suggestion. I will try that. The glue the person used does not appear to be sensitive to heat (ie, does not melt), but I will try anyway.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Looks like you have enough room to cut most of these into smaller pieces. I would try a soak in water to see if that would loosen the glue, then soak long enough (changing the water) to get rid of the glue. Next step, blot them and place between sheets of paper towels with a weight on top to dry out for a day or so. Good luck

Stevearino and coin0709 like this.
  7. desertgem

Be very careful , as paper that old may break apart due to the water if you try to lift it. if you can find a narrow blade spatula at a 99 cent store or such, it may help by increasing the area you trying to lift, rather than just an edge. Experience from old postage stamps :) Jim

8. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Looks like someone already tried to remove one unsuccessfully (bottom right)

9. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Yep, that was me experimenting with the lowest value one.

BasSWarwick likes this.
  10. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

If you can see where the glue is holding you could try from the rear of the backing paper with a damp cotton bud / warm water perhaps and very gently dabs.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I love CSA Notes and that is a crying shame. I just leave as is and frame it. It even hurts to see the horses pulling cannons note and that is one of the most common of all CSA Notes.

coin0709 likes this.
  12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Ouch! That hurts to look at. The adhesive used appears to have a bit of chloride in it as it has bleached the notes where it is applied. I wish you luck on removing them.

Collecting Nut and coin0709 like this.
  13. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

I would contact an archivist who does paper restoration. These professionals will be able to determine what adhesive was used and thus how to remove it.

It is not cheap, but well worth the time and effort.

Stevearino and coin0709 like this.
  14. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

What ever you do to these notes to remove them from the cardboard will decrease their value. The glue will leave a residue on the paper and you can already see that the clue is showing through the fronts. All of these notes can be purchased at a show or LCS in any grade you want. I'd sell it as is or give it away to a young family member and start over by buying crisp, clean new notes.
    Rich

Tamaracian likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

As a collector of these I should add that in the condition they are in I’m not seeing any high values to these notes. They are damaged and even if they could be removed and restored, which I highly doubt, the money is just not there.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I agree, however I intend to sell them individually online and shipping a large mounted piece like this will be challenging. I encounter stuff like this a couple times a year so I’m hoping to find a ‘solution’ that might work against the glue.

17. Collecting Nut

I do wish you the best.

Kentucky and coin0709 like this.
  18. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

I agree that contacting a professional is probably the best. If these were attached in the last 20 years or so, they may have used spray adhesive or other rubber cement based products that may require solvents that would probably destroy the notes.

coin0709 likes this.
  19. desertgem

Some interior decorator may have a contact familiar with glued paper material such as found in old wall paper replacement. Just a thought.

Jim

coin0709 likes this.
  20. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Call or email Nancy.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What solvents destroy notes?

Draft saved Draft deleted