Tips for coin roll hunting?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kden, Mar 30, 2020.

1. kden

kden Active Member

If you don’t want to read: red = Key info
    Hello all again,
    I’m making this post for all the coin roll hunters out there. I recently started hunting rolls from the Safeway I work at which has a credit union. Seems they are all machine wrapped so I wonder what kind of coins you think I’d be able to find in there? I’ll post some pics of my favorite first weeks finds :) I’m mostly going through pennies but I hear nickels are good for noobies too. I go through my coins by laying them out by date and organizing them, then looking up the years for varieties or known errors. This takes a large chunk of time and I wondered if you all think it’s worth the time. I enjoy staying up till 4am looking through hundreds of coins for tiny errors but my eyes aren’t built for the task.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nobody's eye are built for such a task. Be careful.
    Your 1982 cents are both large dates. This date of LMC has no Bronze Error coins, Only copper and zinc varieties. 20180407_072635.jpg

kden and David Betts like this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Well, if you are looking for the W quarters, machine wrapped rolls tend to be the best way to go in my experience. However, customer wrapped rolls do have great potential; just ask anyone on this forum. You never know some oblivious person might have rolled the wheat cent collection of their deceased grandfather or something better you just never know.

Edit: Find a bank or credit union with a complimentary coin counter for members and open an account there if possible.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    kden likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Well, for the next couple months, there's plenty of time while you're stuck at home to search coin rolls.

kden and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Roll searching is fun. It has its rewards but it also has its drawbacks.

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

There should be a lot of chances out there with the economy and people needing extra cash. They may be cashing in their piggy banks.

kden likes this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't know how close to the truth this will be but it certainly bears consideration.

9. kden

kden Active Member

Ahh thank you I read some mid information.

10. kden

kden Active Member

Thank you all for the help. One more thing. I picked up a $25 dollar box of pennies today and it was entirely full of brand new 2020 pennies. Is that normal? I switched it out with my coworker for a different one but I didn’t even think of there could be W mints in there. Should I get it back?

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

W's only came in Proof and Mint Sets

kden likes this.
  12. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

W's in circulation only apply to quarter rolls for the time being unless the mint tries another circulation gimmick.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted