Tiny Peruvian Dinero clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GSDykes, Dec 25, 2019.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

This little coin is 15 mm in diameter, 0.900 silver, a 1/2 dinero dated 1906. On the obverse, the bottom tip of the shield (seen on the reverse) is seen next to the face of seated liberty, other elements of the clash are seen as well, though hard to see in the photo. There are 3 cuds as well (correction: chips), one on the 6 of the date. Several varieties exist, and if it is just a chip, this might be just a 1906 rather than the more common 1898 over 1906 or 1895 over 1906. Folks below, corrected me, thank you!
    Peru_Dino_2x2.jpg

By the way, soaking this little coin in acetone, is slowly removing some of the crud.
    Gary in Washington

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cool clash!

Point of technicality - those aren't cuds, but they are die breaks. There appears to be 4 of them: 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and 9.

I think just a few more strikes and that die probably shattered (quite possibly due to the very strong clash). Very cool!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cool coin Gary.
    Those are some neat IDB's and die cracks.
    Die breaks are chips located in the field.
    A cud only involves the rim.

5. GSDykes

Ahhh my mistake Pickin and Grinnin. Chips indeed. Thank you! And have a safe quiet new years.
    Gary

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. GSDykes

Thank you for the correction. Yeah that die was about to explode! Happy New years to you, Physics fan.
    Gary in Washington

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What I find interesting are all the recut/repunched letters on the reverse. And it looks like the 9 in the date has been repunched as well.

8. GSDykes

I will add another image. In the image below the clash is hardly visible, but much of the grime is now gone. The die chip on the nine is simply a die chip. Indeed some of the numerals "0" seem repunched. Krause points out many variations exist with these 1906's. But I do believe that this is the original date, a 1906.
    Peru_Dinero_2x2_best copy.jpg

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I see Die Cracks.. Maybe 1 or 2 tiny chips.

Draft saved Draft deleted