Tiny Greek mystery coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Nov 16, 2019.

1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I dug this rough, little bronze coin out of a drawer today and am having a bit of trouble identifying it. I'm guessing the difficulty is why it went into the drawer in the first place, several years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It feels like a Greek coin. It's 2.12 grams and 12mm in diameter... A bit chunky in hand. The obverse features a head right, with a character or mark in the left field. The visible part of the mark looks like the right half of a capital English letter "V". The reverse seems to be the body of a fish hugging the outside edge. I can't make out any details in the center of the flan at 10x magnification.

Any wild or educated guesses on what this might be?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have no idea, but good luck.
    I don't know.JPG

jb_depew likes this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I think it is a bird, rather than a fish, on the reverse. Possibly there is another bird on the other side.

jb_depew likes this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

@Andres2 I believe yours is from Selge.

@jb_depew Try getting it wet. Are there two crossed lines on the reverse? That is not a common feature...

Alegandron likes this.
  7. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Here is a photo of the dampened coin. I don't know that much more detail is apparent. The more I stare at it, the more I see Rafiki from Lion King standing left :) This thing is going back in the drawer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted