Tiny, common, uninspired, but I still love it!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I have nearly a full 2" binder of pages upon pages of coins I found in lots and just had to keep!

The latest addition...

Arcadius AE4 VOT V Heraclea.jpg

Arcadius AE4
    DN ARCADIVS P F AVG
    VOT V / SMHA
    Heraclea mint

Tiny and about as common as they come, but something about the cute style, excellent strike, glossy black patina and lack of any apparent wear made this a must-keep for me!

Let's see those beautiful tiny late AE4's, or anything else you didn't intend to keep but did anyway!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

This one is pretty awful, but it's the smallest campgate I have so I keep it just for kicks.
    Arcadius RIC IX 62V.JPG

ominus1, Spaniard, Ryro and 13 others like this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I have one of those little beauties too! Same mint and officina, but with slightly different decoration on the wreath. I couldn't let it go by on the auction block...

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.07.37 PM.jpg

Not a common one this time, but another AE4 I love is this Flavius Victor, for the portrait. It's also ex the Frank Robinson collection, which is a nice perk.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.09.23 PM.jpg

Finally, here's another nicely provenanced coin (ex @dougsmit). I couldn't resist the tiny annoyed portrait of Theodosius I:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.10.39 PM.jpg

5. hotwheelsearl

This is one of the highlights of my collection. A incredible 40% off center strike that manages to maintain BOTH the emperor's name AND the mintmark. Wow.
    Arcadius Constantinople RIC IX 86c B.JPG

ominus1, Spaniard, Pellinore and 15 others like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Another really tiny coin I have is this really well-struck and high grade 5-Nummus coin of Justin I. I love placing this ontop a 40-nummus follis of Justin I for a size comparison.
    Justin II.JPG

ominus1, VRSilver, Spaniard and 11 others like this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice ones!

This Arcadius was from a group lot from the last Roma auction that turned out to be a lot more fun than expected (always a nice surprise that seems to be the case more with CNG and Roma than with others)

Some of the others I feel warrant their own thread, but a runner up was also a VOT from Heraclea, but from Gratian - looks to be a rare one according to the spreadsheets online. Not as nice as the Arcadius, but nicer than the pictures make it look.
    Gratian AE4 VOT X MVLT XX Heraclea.jpg

There were similarly nice little coins of Theodosius, but I haven't imaged those yet.

8. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

The coins of this issue are usually terrible but this one is ok. The flan is bad as most of them are but the coin is pretty much as struck.
    ConstantiusIITrierRICVIII-74.JPG
    Constantius II - VIRTVS AVGG NN - Trier - RIC VIII 74 - 337-340ad

ominus1, Spaniard, Ryro and 16 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

"Nicely???" It is also one of few that appeared on my site (on a page from the time I was getting complaints because my larger photos were taking forever to load by readers with slow modems). It is easy to miss there.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/val.html
    That coin came out when the centering got on my nerves and I decided I was not all that into late Roman. That might have been a mistake. This one lacks the personality but it still lives here.
    ry7780bb1470.jpg

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

4 tiny ones found in lots:

P118015savoca (2).jpg P1180148 (2).JPG P1180150 (2).JPG P1180152 (2).JPG

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice, @Finn235 ! Here's my humble Arcadius:

[​IMG]
    Arcadius, AD 383-408
    Roman Æ half-centenionalis; 1.15 g, 14.2 mm
    Cyzicus, AD 388-392
    Obv: D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: SALVS REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, with right hand carrying trophy over shoulder and dragging captive with left; ⳨ in left field, SMKΓ in exergue
    Refs: RIC 26(c); LRBC 2578; RCV 20851.

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Not only nicely provenanced but a plate coin! :D Cool, thanks Doug!

13. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

14. hotwheelsearl

This Val II could be smaller, but I think it still fits.
    Valentinian II Siscia RIC IX 29.JPG

Marsyas Mike, ominus1, Bing and 4 others like this.
  15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Small by RR bronze standards and hard for me to photograph - much better in hand. Litra and quarteruncia next to a cast semis.
    DSCN0419.JPG
    DSCN0404.JPG DSCN0405.JPG DSCN0408.JPG DSCN0410.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted