Tin of coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Denise Prior, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Denise Prior

Denise Prior New Member

My Nan has found a tin of coins that she has not seen for over 40 years. They used to be my Grandads.
    There are a fair amount on US coins in there and on doing a bit of research on one or two I think we have a '1791 USA George Washington 1 cent - small eagle with writing on the edge'.
    It looks in a lot better condition than some of the images I have seen online.
    Some values I have seen are quite low and others not!. Any ideas on how I can find out which one I have?

Attached Files:

Heavymetal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eric Babula

Eric Babula Active Member

Sorry, I know nothing about these, other than what I found, here:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1791-cent-washington-small-eagle-bn/705

Quoted from bottom of page:
    Ron Guth:

Following his successful win in the Revolutionary War, George Washingon became one of the most revered men on the planet. Numerous coins, medals, and tokens bear his portrait, much to his chagrin. The last thing Washington wanted was to be treated like a king, so when the U.S. government proposed putting his portrait on an official coin, he balked. What he could not prevent were the numerous private issues struck by people who had little concern for his wishes or who were more concerned with making money by using his image.

The 1791 Washington Small Eagle Cent is one such coin. Themotif was clearly American, though the heraldic eagle on the reverse has only eight stars and the arrows and the olive branch are in the wrong talons.

This is a relatively common coin among the realm of Washingtonia, with a fair number of Uncirculated pieces available to collectors. Red and Brown Mint State examples are very rare and no full red examples are known (at least, not with original color). MS66 is the top grade that exists at present.

4. Denise Prior

Denise Prior New Member

Thank you!

5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Don't get depressed and don't give up. Keep looking; there just might be something you're over looking. :happy:

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This is a Conder token cataloged to Middlesex D&H 1050. It is similar to the piece designed by Hancock as a proposal for a contract coinage for the U.S. This piece comes with two different edge inscriptions, 1050 with UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (your coin) and 1050a with PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF THOS WARWICK & SONS .x. 1050 is scarce, and 1050a is rare.

7. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk Denise. Nan’s Conder Token was just evaluated as scarce by a very knowledgeable expert. Take good care of the token and Nan. Someone may give you an estimate of value

Draft saved Draft deleted