Time for a re-shoot - Finn's Twelve Caesars

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

To Doug's point, a 12 Caesars set doesn't necessarily have to be a bank-breaker, even at relatively nice grades. True, it is nearly impossible to complete it in any sense for less than $1,000, but as a benchmark, mine cost a little less than $3,000 over the course of five years with a fair amount of "red paperclip" type buying/selling of lots. In fact, I don't think many people realize just how many budget-friendly Julius Caesar and Otho provincials are out there. Omit Galba, Otho, and Vitellius, and I'd bet a sub-$300 set would be possible.

Plus, I have never been a fan of the all-gold set because Caesar only put his mug on Denarii and I think a couple AE provincials. (Speaking of, has anyone done an all-AE, all-lifetime portrait set of The Twelve? I have seen every variation except thar one.)

One thing I will also say is that I resent the omission of very important people between Caesar and Augustus for the set. Honestly, if you care about history, why have Otho if you don't have Mark Antony? Marcus Antonius Octavia tetradrachm.jpg

(And I will admit - I don't even have Lepidus, despite having both the budget and opportunity to pick him up at least 3-5 times last year alone)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Lovely set! Some really nice coins you've added in your set. Your Nero and Galba look very appealing, great portraits.

Below is mine.
    Twelve Caesars (2).png

As you can see, I went for option 2. Of course Caligula and Claudius in lesser grade. They tend to get very expensive in a better grade... They are rare issues though, and I'm very pleased with them. The same goes for the Galba denarius.
    Maybe a little OCD, but I find it very pleasing to have a set in the same denomination. I'd prefer gold of course, but I will have to do that in another life.

svessien, Clavdivs, ominus1 and 11 others like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice mix of metals and types! My first Twelve Caesars set was a bit of a motley crew, too. It just sort of assembled itself, but I quite liked it nonetheless. I've since sold some of the coins, so the set is no longer together.

12 Caesars.jpg

My personal choice would be #3, though I think the current Twelve Caesars set I'm putting together wouldn't make it into any of these categories. It's a work in progress... and has some holes in it. :D

12 Caesars - holed.jpg

svessien, Clavdivs, ominus1 and 13 others like this.
  5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Beautiful set

I have solved this problem, not with a lifetime JC though !

[​IMG]
    Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, Denarius minted in 43 BC
    M ANTO IMP RPC, Head of Mark Antony right, lituus behind him
    CAESAR DIC, Head of Caesar right, jug behind him
    3.76 gr
    Ref : HCRI # 123, RCV #1465, Cohen #3

My 12

[​IMG]

Q

6. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

For me, one of the most appealing aspects of a 12 Caesars virtual tray is the progression of portraits from one ruler to the next. It's secondary if your set mixes denominations to achieve this.

Your set has recognizable portraits of each emperor and it stimulates the imagination to think about the hundred years or so these rulers shaped the Roman Empire and the world they ruled.

As Doug has mentioned, if you photograph each coin separately from the same setup and distance, the sizing takes care of itself and you can place obverse and reverse next to each other, which I find to be a little better presentation.

Congratulations on completing your set!

Spaniard likes this.
  7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely on this point. Early in my ancient coin collecting activities, I accumulated some representative Imperatorial coins along with the 12 Caesars for the sake of (relative) historical completeness. In case you're interested:

D - Imperatorial mint set.jpg

8. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I just managed to complete a 12 Caesars portrait SESTERTIUS collection
    (including a provincial bronze of Otho).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 22.04.15.jpeg

Finn235, svessien, octavius and 17 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Finn235, svessien, octavius and 12 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My fourree set lacks Caligula and Galba but has two Augustus and Tiberius.

ra8740bb0207.jpg rb0900bb0534.jpg rb0930bb0026.jpg rb1020bb0737.jpg rb1140bb0395.jpg rb1180b01928lg.JPG rb1190bb2092.jpg rb1320bb0318.jpg rb1400b00314lg.JPG rb1570bb1997.jpg

svessien, octavius, ominus1 and 14 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Agreed: How about adding other significant players that affected the Twelve:

ANTONY

upload_2020-8-2_7-40-31.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528-2a Sear 1507

FULVIA

upload_2020-8-2_7-41-41.png
    RImp Marc Antony 43 BCE AR Quinarius 13mm 1.67g Lugdunum Winged bust Victory-probly Fulvia Lion DVNI LVGV Cr 489-5 Syd 1160

BRUTUS

upload_2020-8-2_7-42-34.png
    RImp Brutus-Ahala 54 BC JBrutus cons 509 BC ServAhala mstr hrse 439 BC S398Cr433-2

CASSIUS

upload_2020-8-2_7-43-40.png
    RR Gaius Cassius Longinus & P Corn Lentulus Spinther AR den 42 BCE military mint Brutus Cassius Smyrna Libertas r- jug & lituus 18mm 3.3g

VINDEX

upload_2020-8-2_7-45-12.png
    RI Civil War VINDEX 68-69 CE AR Denarius 3.22g Gallic mint SALVS GENERIS HVMANI Victory l globe - SPQR in wreath RIC 72 BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420 R

upload_2020-8-2_7-45-54.png
    RI Civil War Revolt of Vindex CE 68-69 AR Denarius ROMA RESTITVTA - IVPITER LIBERATOR Jupiter seated r Tbolt Scepter 17mm 3.02g RIC I 62 RSC 374-RARE

A DIFFERENT MIX of the SEUTONIUS 12 and with VINDEX

Seutonius 12 - 12 Caesars PLUS Vindex.jpg

svessien, Limes, octavius and 11 others like this.
  12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's my "Augustus to Septimius Severus, 20 Caesars and 6 Empresses, OK OK I know there are gaps but it's what I've got" set (click to enlarge):

Tray with Augustus - Septimius Severus 08.03.2020.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

And here's my more conventional set of 12* Caesars (again, click for a substantial enlargement):

Tray Augustus to Domitian.jpg

* minus 2

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Finn235, octavius, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This is a fantastic endeavor! I bet @lordmarcovan will probably shed a tear and agree :D.

ominus1, zumbly and Theodosius like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

A holey 12C collection? What a stupendous idea! I love it.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Say what you will about the plastic coffins. They looked good in that fancy box.

The coins themselves were fairly modest, with the lifetime JC and Otho denarii being the standouts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I’m going for the #2 option here. The goal is one denarius from each emperor in VF. I’m 11/12, with a drachm in F filling in for the Caligula denarius that I’m now saving for.
    I guess the set isn’t complete without a portrait denarius of Caesar either. So make that two that I’m saving for. Yeah, and I’d like to upgrade the Tiberius. And the Nero. So it’s pretty much a life long project anyway.... But a project that is worthwhile!

Draft saved Draft deleted