TIF's Top Ten of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great coins @TIF, even though they are not within my area of collecting. They are nevertheless really cool due to their reverses especially, in my opinion. I like no.1 for its huge reliëf, the Domitius Domitianus because its a rare usurper, but my fav is no.10. Bring in the food!

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

A fantastic year! My favorite is your #4 of Melita - such a unique composition and execution of the art. I'm looking forward to your 2020 being numismatically successful and personally more relaxed and stable (for the selfish reason of wanting more coin animations :D )

rrdenarius and TIF like this.
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Great year! You have a great eye and great tastes.

The patina on this one is beautiful. Don’t ever clean it.

This coin is just incredible all around. Absolutely fantastic

TIF likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins!

TIF likes this.
  6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Very nice, btw it is always good to see your posts Tiff. Have a very happy Holidays!

jamesicus and TIF like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I think that is the big point. We all see these things from our own perspective. My top choice is #4.

TIF likes this.
  8. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@TIF I think yours is my favorite of all the top 10 posts I've read the last few weeks. The coins are amazing and the presentation is superb. The video on the Ancient coins of Melita is very well done. I'm sure it took a lot of time to put together, so thanks.

jamesicus, TIF and rrdenarius like this.
  9. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

the stunner is the owl

TIF likes this.
  10. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Earlier this year after reading your report about getting an Attic "Owl" Tet, I decided it was time to get a better example myself. I will show it with my top picks for the year (if the latest ones get here soon). But I too am a sucker for the Tarentine nomoi, and I really like your high relief Eumenes tet. Nice stuff that, says a guy who doesn't really collect Greek, except for my study of Persian sigloi, and the over-under silvers of Istrus, and the many incuses of Chersonnesos, and the Olbian porpoises, and an embarrassment of Roman Provincials, and...

TIF, rrdenarius and Valentinian like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, everyone!

CT-MostlyLRBguy.jpg

Thank you, Fugio! The video did indeed take a lot of time, learning how to use the editor as I went. It was fun though :).
    :D

Thanks! I'm looking forward to "playing" with my coins (and everyone else's) once again!

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I would rank them exactly the same as you did. To my mind 1 & 2 are quite a bit ahead of 3 & 4, which are in turn quite a bit ahead of the rest of the field. All are wonderful though, some are just wonderfuller than others. :D The Eumenes blows me away, and I'm super jealous of the Domitius too.

The closest I can get to the Eumenes is this little Philetairos bronze! :D

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 6.16.08 AM.jpg

I know that Texas is already treating you better than the UVI, which is wonderful news. Here's to a fantastic and coinful 2020! Which includes more TIF posts. :shy:

13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Your Eumenes I tetra looks like a piece of sculpture. Beautiful!

TIF likes this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

These are all wonderful @TIF as I suspected they would be. The Melita coins are all excellent and very interesting. The relief on your Eumenes tetradrachm is the kind of amazing detail that is reserved only for ancient collectors. ;)

All wonderful coins. Also, as a transplanted Texan myself... welcome back :)

TIF likes this.
  15. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Amazing and wonderful additions @TIF
    That Eumenes tetradrachm is absolutely stunning with so much relief, same as the Athens tetradrachm! Those coins from Melita are nice and interesting as well. Great year for you!

TIF likes this.
  16. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Superb acquisitions. That Eumenes I Tet is fabulous. Absolutely love it:happy:

TIF likes this.
  17. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@TIF ...What a wonderful line up!..The Pergamon is absolutely stunning!!
    But my favourite is the Melita with Isis a great coin!..Congrats

TIF likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have read a couple of different books on Sphinx dating back to 13,000 BCE.

Malta is another conundrum History also...

:)

panzerman and TIF like this.
  19. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Reviving this thread, but now I need to know the handshake! Just picked up my first owl in the CNG owl special. Shout out to CNG, they were very patient when I spoke to them about their special and they dug up this little beauty for me.
    4.jpg

20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You are correct, historians will have to get enlightened. Advanced civilizations go back way further then 4500BC:)!

21. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the cool 9,000 BC animal carvings at Göbekli Tepe, Turkey.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted