TIF's Top Ten of 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The coins are wonderful. Just like everyone else, I think the Eumenes is splendid.

I appreciate your regular contributions to CT. I hope the move to Texas goes smoothly and your new year is less eventful than the last few, except for coin acquisitions!

Gary R. Wilson and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Excellent coins @TIF - the Eumenes is fantastic, the Malta coins superb and the Domitius Domitianus is a real find. Would have loved to have a shot at that one. Congrats and the best of wishes on your move to Texas.

TIF likes this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

They are all so interesting. But #1.. wonderful artwork!.. that must be amazing in hand. Congratulations! I am also glad you are reunited with all of them.

TIF likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Talk about an all-killer-no-filler list! They are all great, and the Malta coins, chicken & waffles, and Domitius are very high on my own want list. All said, it’s really just impossible to deny the Eumenes its top spot... what a dream coin, and I’m still stupefied by the incredible deal you got on it. I hope you’ll have an amazing 2020 both in Coinland and IRL. :)

rrdenarius, TIF and Alegandron like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks so much for the well wishes, everyone! It has indeed been a tough few years. While I'm still a bit overwhelmed with changes my stress level is down considerably in the last week. :)

It's always interesting to see how my favorites compare to others and I'm a little surprised by all the "chicken and waffles" love :D.

It's also hard to rank the coins. I probably should have put the Melita coins higher in the list because they really are special to me, but it's splitting hairs. All of the coins on this list are special in some way.

I can turn it off and on :D. If I'm tired or around other Texans my drawl is more noticable. I don't think I have much of an accent in the Melita video, do you?

Not as dramatic as the pile of incredibly detailed hair, but still remarkable :).

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Glad you made it to Texas, hope you and your mom have an awesome time going to rock concerts!

You know it's a awesome list when a very nice owl tet doesn't even medal in the event!

Man, that Pergamon tet is just amazing.... that edge shot it HOT!

DD potin! What an interesting dude!

:chicken: chicken waffles :chicken: !

Weirdo Egyptian stuff! :blackalien:Maybe the aliens that build those pyramids hung out Malta for a while also? :blackalien:

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Actually the link between strange structures on Malta and links to Egypt was discussed on "Ancient Aliens." Even on the History Channel, it was found the Sphinx probably dates back 13000BC/ evidence of water erosion.
    unnamed.jpg

Alegandron and Chris B like this.
  9. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Wonderful coins! The Eumenes tetradrachm is truly exceptional!

TIF likes this.
  10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What a stellar list!

I especially admire you Maltese/Melitese (is that the correct adjective for Melita?) coins. Your video on these is fantastic – I learned a lot wathching it.

TIF likes this.
  11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Excellent coins. My favorites are Eumenes I, dolphin rider and Athens owl.

TIF likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

TIF, You made wonderful acquisitions this year :D! My favorite is the stunning Tet of Eumenes I :jawdrop:, & calling it a coin is misleading, it's really a miniature sculpture :). The side view says it all :eek:. My 2nd favorite is #4, that mysterious coin from Melita. I thoroughly enjoyed your video on the coins of Melita :D. You've got a great voice for narration & hopefully you'll do more videos ;).

TIF likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I think that is the big point about many of our coins. They have so many ways of being special and we each value different ones in our own ways. I prefer as best of the group coin #4 but dislike its surfaces. The relief makes #1 exceptional but I am not a fan of the mouth execution. When it comes to style, there are many little things that we balance to love or regret. In my area of interest (Severan Eastern denarii) there is a real problem with the eyes. The Attalids seemed to do eyes well. Making a thing of beauty starting with a guy like Philetaerus was a challenge they met well. Coins go beyond style adding things like wear, strike, damage and corrosion that we collectors must compare when making our choices. My coin of this period is nothing compared to TIF's gem but it remains one of my favorites due to style. I have no Melitas so that enabled me to overlook the condition faults more than I would had the coins been common. g92350bb0266.jpg

14. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I forgot that video--no, I didn't notice it there. But I think I'll try and read your posts with a Texas accent from now on anyway.

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  15. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A host of excellent coins for such a turbulent year for you!

My favorites are the Malta coins and the incredible Eumenes.

Hope you have a more relaxed year creating amusing content for all of us.

John

TIF likes this.
  16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Good golly Mrs TIFy! What a murderer's row of coins.:jimlad::artist: You could flip the list upside down and I couldn't disagree as each coin is so unique and amazing:cigar:
    Heck, one of my favorites of yours this year isn't even on this list:jawdrop:!
    Glad you're safe and stateside taken care of your mum. Best of luck with the repairs.:yack:
    PS, I hope you find time to do more of those fantastic YouTube vids:snaphappy:

TIF likes this.
  17. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I've read alot of the Top 10s this year but seeing that TIF posted one brought a smile to my face, I knew it was gonna be good! The Egyptian Alexandrian was my personal favorite but they were all epic coins. Best of luck for 2020!
    -Michael "CoinBlazer"

TIF likes this.
  18. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Gosh @TIF, a stellar list and it's hard to argue with the top 4! Utterly fantastic!

Hopefully 2020 will be as productive for you numismatically ... but without all the challenges!

TIF likes this.
  19. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Great list TIF, I love them all.

TIF likes this.
  20. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coins, @TIF ! You, your collection, your visual presentation talent, your hurricane disaster survival skills—you’re one of a kind! You have a great narration voice also. I could never do narrations because of my Boston accent which I never lost even after 20 years of living in Baltimore :hilarious:

TIF likes this.
  21. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That number one is a remarkable work of art.
    The banqueting scene in number 10 looks to me like an ancient version of inviting a special guest over to “watch Netflix and chill.”

zumbly and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted