TIF Top Ten of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Oh yes I have experienced this a few times with Ed. It resulted in my wife once asking me "That tiny coin was inside of several larger boxes?". At that point "Yes dear" was the only correct response. :cigar:

Carausius and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@TIF, I enjoyed a laugh with the packaging and your post is a standout for coins that are not the usual fare. #10 a favorite, although hard to pick in a set that includes: a counterfeit alexandrian tetradrachm, twisted snake+goat+anteater, snake cowboy, snake biga, the four seasons dancers, a sphinx, altar of Zeus, a REGistered bust of Isis, and a "running" satyr!

The die maker of this denarius was similarly inspired to put beards and toupee's on the snakes/serpents/dragons - it seems to have been the fashion:
    upload_2021-1-3_16-52-49.png
    M. Volteius M.f., 75 BC, AR Denarius, Rome mint
    Obv: Head of Bacchus (or Liber) right, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: Ceres, standing in chariot, holding lighted torches, driving biga of snakes right; pileus to left
    Ref: Crawford 385/3; Sydenham 776; Volteia 3
    Notes: Ceres and Her Serpent Chariot

Best wishes for 2021!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some unique and amazing coins as expected. My favorites are 5, 4, & 9.

As for that packaging, I have had some that were like getting into Fort Knox, but nothing that bad.

I've had it with pristine comic books arriving & with Knox packaging, its sometimes is no longer pristine .

TIF likes this.
  5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great year! My favorites are your Altar of Zeus Straetus (what a stunning and novel depiction!), the Four Seasons (perennially on my wantlist) and the Sphinx.

Here's to hoping for a return to normalcy this year and more posts!

TIF likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the fun and kind words, everyone! :cat:

In past years I had pretty clear #1s. This year the top spots were less clear to me and that seems reflected in the comments as well.

That is exactly what it looks like! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I kept thinking it resembled some type of American hobo symbol but it's really an exasperated clothes hanger!

If I'd known you had that I would have tried to talk you into selling it. Nice one!!

Yes! Let's send the addition to Not In RIC ;) :D

Hmm. Given the other satyr and nymph depictions on Thasos coinage, I doubt that is the reason. Sure wish I could find or remember that article I read some time ago, although I wasn't sure how much I bought into the explanation (something along the lines of the satyr/nymph depictions being a cautionary tale?).

Frustratingly... no. I thought I'd find an explanation in a coin listing but so far I've found no information whatsoever! The majority of these coins have the REG counterstamp. I thought it might be an abbreviation of the name of the Roman magistrate at that time but I saw no possible matches in the Fasti Triumphales.

It's not in Howgego (Greek Imperial countermarks). Cossura was under Roman occupation at the time but I guess Howgego doesn't include provinces from the time of the republic.

Apparently it is very purposeful and not at all in fun. (see next quote)

His house or office must be stuffed to the brim with packing material!

Yep, when I teased him about it he said it is very effective in preventing loss in transit.

I have planted a tree in atonement for the excess :D.

I don't remember what he charged for shipping (or if he charged for shipping) but given the typical price of coins he deals, shipping charges of any amount would almost be a triviality.

Well knock me over with a feather. I never would have guessed that. ;) :joyful:

I almost feel guilty when buying a Flavian provincial now that you've expanded from Imperials :).

As above :D

Oooh, I do too :). It's been a while since I've done that.

Never say never :D.

Justin Lee, Ryro, Limes and 2 others like this.
  7. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Congrats on your top 10 @TIF !!! As I don't have any coins that depict mythical creatures, the Domitian/sphinx and the Gallienus/criocamp are my favourites....the Geta from Pontos is a close second!

TIF likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted