TIF Top Ten of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Interesting group. The Geta from Amasia is a Delaison L' Atelier D' Amaseia du Pont 554 The obverse is quite different than what is the norm from this mint. Glad to see that you are doing okay

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Fantastic taste and acquisitions that leave me envious, as always!

TIF likes this.
  4. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

All excellent pieces, but it’s number three for me all the way! What a marvelous reverse.

TIF likes this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

TIF, You scored some fascinating & rare coins this year :D! The Cossura bronze deserves 1st place :happy:. Do you know anything about the counterstamp on the coin o_O? The unpacking episode is amusing :hilarious:. Was Ed Waddell just playing with you or is he suffering with extreme insecurity :rolleyes:? I love #7, the Republican denarius. The reverse composition is a product of imagination on steroids' :p! Your article on the "Snake Cowboys" was a great read ;).

TIF likes this.
  6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Glad to see that you had time to post a list @TIF. And what a list!

Hands down that Domitian Sphinx is my favourite. Simply superb.

TIF likes this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

After having been TIFless for months we are now fulfilled !
    Thanks for posting those marvellous coins @TIF

I relly love your #3, #4, #5 and #7
    The others aren't bad either :)

Q

TIF likes this.
  8. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you TIF, and a great selection of coins. The Domitian Sphinx is the standout for me, but they are all interesting for sure.

TIF likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

So many wonderful coins, @TIF! It's hard to choose favorites! I have always coveted one of these Abduction of Persephone coins to upgrade my humble example of Soaemias from Sebaste, and yours is an excellent example of that reverse type. I like your snake biga denarius, the Domitian/Sphinx obol, and the criocamp "zoo" coin. But most of all, I like your #1: the Isis/Tanit AE 25 of Cossura.

TIF likes this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great additions @TIF - particularly like the snake on the horse.

TIF likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have to tell you @TIF, you got my blood pumping when I saw that huge box and mentioned bronzes. I love getting huge boxes of ancient coins. I was a bit let down when I saw it was one coin. I was thinking you had joined the dark, dark side as a new buyer of large ancient group lots. :)

TIF likes this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

mission impossible.jpg
    ...kool coins & story TIF!...good ta C ya again! :)

TIF, panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  13. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

That Volteius denarius is fabulous! :jawdrop:

TIF likes this.
  14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@TIF My favorite is all 10 at once. Such a variety of interesting types is appealing in itself. Hope to hear more from you in 2021.

TIF and rrdenarius like this.
  15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@TIF, you never disappoint!!!....Thank you! :happy:

TIF likes this.
  16. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Superb and exceptional coins, just like the owner. Congrats..

TIF likes this.
  17. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great coins and great to see you back. My favorites are the Caracalla/Persephone and the Geta with the altar, but all of these are excellent!

TIF likes this.
  18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great to hear from you @TIF I really like all of your coins. I agree with @David Atherton, that Domitian Sphinx is amazing. That is a very enviable acquisition!

TIF likes this.
  19. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Experienced this many times myself. A source of endless amusement, and lotsa frustration when I'm in a hurry to see the coin. Still, good to fool the FedEx driver that they are delivering an article of clothing rather than a valuable coin.

TIF, Orfew, DonnaML and 1 other person like this.
  20. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Lovely, interesting and varied list. Since I'm mainly an Imperial guy (you could now guess my preference when it comes to sides in Star Wars ;-)) I obviously have to vote for the Caracalla denarius. I really like that reverse design, but it seems that type is out of my financial reach unfortunately. I have to say however, that I also really like your Domitian with sphinx reverse, and have seen it before. So, if I understand your post correctly, you wont bid on another Domitian sphinx coin? I will remember that ;-)

Wow, that's some hardcore packaging. I wonder though, are the shipment costs hardcore too?

TIF likes this.
  21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Belated Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
    All great coins, my fav. is the snake biga RR:D Nice to see a coin so securely packed:)
    May, 2021 bring you many more nice coins.
    John

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted