TIF 2016 Year in Review

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Dec 27, 2016.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, what a year. Numismatically it was awesome. Everything else... not so much. I'm so behind and disorganized that even reviewing my 2016 purchases took a ridiculous amount of time.

Narrowing down the haul to a "top ten"? Not gonna happen :D. Instead, here are composite pictures of the 2016 coins, arranged by general category. Normally I'd put the attribution for each coin with every picture but that's just too much work this morning :D. If you have questions about a particular coin I'd be happy to fill in the details.

I'm always enthusiastic about Greek coins and this year I picked up some amazing coins, including a Bruttium Amphitrite wearing a crab hat, an electrum Pigasus, an early style Ptolemy I Soter tetradrachm, and many others.

TIF2016-Greek.jpg

It was a big year for Roman Egyptian coins. The latter portion of the year brought an unexpected delight: two sales of some ex-Dattari coins. They may not have been the prettiest of Roman Egyptian coins but having old pedigree plate coins is always desirable. I added many coins with Egypt-specific reverses.

TIF2016-RomanEgypt.jpg

Roman Provincials offer a wide array of unusual reverses and this year brought some fantastic types, especially the first five on this composite:

TIF2016-RomanProvincial.jpg

As usual, I didn't seek out many Roman Imperials but the few I did get are delightful. The year brought some fantastic Republican and Imperatorials too :)
    TIF2016-RomanRepub-Imperator-Imperial.jpg

I have to go do some family stuff but later today I'll try to extract my favorites from these coins and if I have time, I'll list brief attributions for each of the coins shown on the composites.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

All I can say is WOW! I especially love your Greek and Rman Egyptian coins.

TIF likes this.
  4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Nice haul. Is the Brettian coin an overstrike?

TIF likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks! I don't think the Bruttium is an overstrike, or if it is there is no trace of the original coin.

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Oh my goodness! What a feast for the eyes!

A very stunning year for you. Good luck sorting the top picks out of those stellar groups!

TIF likes this.
  7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Too many, can't form a proper reply! All are amazing. (especially that hippo!)

TIF likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow! I remember oohing and aahing over so many of these over the course of the year. It's nice to see them all again :).

Difficult as it is, I'm going to try to pick my favorite in each category...

Greek: Brettii Crab Hat!

Roman-Egypt: ex-Dattari with hippo

Other provincials: Sooo hard to pick, but that wonderful Pan is probably my fave.

Roman: another tough category, but it had to be the one I like better than my own, the Q. Creperius denarius with Amphitrite and Neptune.

Bravo on a fantastic collecting year!

Paul M. and TIF like this.
  9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That is a museum-quality tour of numismatic history in a single collecting year. Remarkable.

Paul M., 7Calbrey and TIF like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Just plain gorgeous! Well done on an excellent collection year! I enjoy them all, for each as they are.

TIF likes this.
  11. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I'm pretty jaded and hard to impress by now, but I really love your Bruttium with the crab hat TIF. I had no idea that type existed! Brava!

TIF, Nicholas Molinari and red_spork like this.
  12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Love the Ptolemy I and the Hadrian Sphinx. Duuuurrr!

TIF likes this.
  13. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Ah now I remember- the crab is a hat which I believe you modeled at one point!

Interesting type.

TIF likes this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!!

I could spend days closely examining each one and I still couldn't pick my favorites---all are superlative examples that I'd LOVE to have!!

TIF likes this.
  15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@TIF

Those are great coins. I am having a hard time picking a favourite so I will just say I love them all.

TIF likes this.
  16. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Wonderfull coins, The first one ,The green bronze Hippocamp - Pallas Athena is awsome. The electrum flying boar - Lion , the crab hat bruttium and the Alexander elephant scalp are also amazing coins. Of all the coins the silver Roman Republic Triskelion / Mercury ? - Zeus is my absolute favorite.
    well done TIF

TIF likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All are wonderful. I'll copy Z's format and make changes as necessary:

Difficult as it is, I'm going to try to pick my favorite in each category...

Greek: Brettii Crab Hat! (Could subdivide and be second, too)

Roman-Egypt: Aurelius Sphinx

Other provincials: Gordian III / Ostrich but Pan is my close second.

Roman: Q. Creperius denarius with Amphitrite and Neptune.

The loser was the one you let get away. Thank you.

18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Wow, I just love them all. For some unexplained reason, it makes me think of those boxes that are filled with coloured balls that kids get in and roll around in :D

Paul M., Topcat7, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

An impressive collection, with a beautiful presentation. I kinda want a crab hat :)

Paul M. and TIF like this.
  20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What an awesome set of coins. I can see why it would be difficult to pick a top 10. That Hadrian/bear coin is probably my favourite

TIF likes this.
  21. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All great coins Tiff, good luck picking out a top 10.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted