Tiberius Bronze As (Pontif Maxim), "R3" in RIC: Q. re Authenticity

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Aug 1, 2021.

1. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

We have almost the same thread going in two places.

At the end of day I know we have to assume there's some work if we want to own these types at realistic prices. But you should also be happy with what you buy. Hope it works out.

RIC 35 today at Naville #67 looks an awful like your coin.

Not as cleaned, but the same type.

RIC Wildwinds (it's actually the home pic for Tiberius):

[​IMG]

Bing, ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Ultimately, this is what is most important. If one doesn't feel 'good' about a coin, then it's best to skip it.

The potential for lingering discomfort could continue to haunt one and never allow one to be able to fully enjoy a coin.

These (Imperial)Tiberius' bronzes can be tough get. Despite his long reign, there were only a few different types made, and it seems very difficult to find one in really nice shape.

DonnaML likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suppose it is better not to own a coin you don't trust than to own it with a footnote you can not forget. I would not have doubted it from the photo but that is why I don't like buying coins I have not seen. Good or bad, I hope he agrees to the cancellation.

DonnaML likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. The only difference between RIC 33 and RIC 35 is that the obverse legend on the latter says "AVGVSTVS" rather than "AVGVST."

At this point, I'm wavering, and not sure what I want to do. If the dealer is willing to respect my decision on whether to cancel the purchase, I may ask him to give me 24 hours to decide.

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

The coin looks OK to me. Here's my left-facer for comparison:

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 2.28.35 PM.jpg

Tejas, Spaniard, Bing and 4 others like this.
  7. DonnaML

In fact, given how much of the obverse legend on my example is off the flan, I'm not sure it's even possible to tell whether it's an RIC 33 or an RIC 35, i.e., whether the legend says AVGVSTVS or AVGVST. RIC classifies RIC 35 as "R2," as opposed to RIC 33's supposed "R3." I was able to find five examples on ACSearch, the same number as for RIC 33. So it wouldn't make much difference, really.

8. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Looks authentic to me as well.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

I have no experience with bronzes, but:

The style and weight of this coin is correct. So, if it's a fake it's either a cast or a transfer die fake.

The coin appears to have sharp details in the protected, recessed areas. Such as in the outline of the reverse seated figure. There is wear on the high points of the seated figure, but that's what you'd expect for circulation wear. I don't think it has a soapy appearance, overall. Also there are irregularly sized and shaped pits on the obverse, they look extremely like what you'd get due to corrosion. They're sometimes seen on silver coins.

Considering the sharp details in the recessed areas and the corrosion pits, I don't think it's a cast fake.

Transfer die fake is unlikely due to the corrosion pits present, unless it's a very old fake. To prove that, you'd need to find an identical twin somewhere.

About smoothing and tooling, if Curtis thinks the coin hasn't been smoothed I think you can trust his opinion.

Overall I think it's a genuine coin. Not the sharpest example, but genuine. And as others have mentioned, RIC rarity is pretty unreliable to be honest.

You can try and request a refund of course, if you still have doubts.

DonnaML likes this.
  10. DonnaML

Thank you.

11. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Looks OK to me. In fact, I rather like it, warts and all. Signs of previous corrosion, cleaned but not "fixed".

DonnaML likes this.
  12. DonnaML

Assuming that the edge shows no signs of casting, I'm leaning towards keeping it at this point -- warts and all! -- even if the dealer gives me the opportunity to cancel the purchase. I think it has a nice portrait, and that's what caught my eye in the first place, along with the reverse design similar to the Tribute Penny. One doesn't see that many Tiberius bronzes, as others have mentioned. It's actually in better condition than most other examples available at retail, and for the (relatively low) price I paid, I think it's a decent buy, what with authenticity concerns essentially resolved. And what with the suspicions raised by a low price being charged for a coin RIC classifies as extremely rare also set aside. (Especially since the coin could just as well be RIC 35 as RIC 33.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Roman Collector likes this.
  13. DonnaML

The dealer offered me a refund, but I told him to go ahead and send out the coin. I'm happy with my decision -- but a little embarrassed about making such a fuss over apparently nothing! Thanks so much to all of you for your help and advice.

Spaniard and Roman Collector like this.
  14. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

The first coin in this thread looks perfectly fine.

Barry Murphy

15. DonnaML

Thank you. I guess it's unanimous!

16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

After the experts weighed in.

17. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

I think this is a fine coin with a great style portrait and I expect you will be pleased with it down the road.

It's natural to suspect something might be wrong with a coin if you land the coin at a price that seems a little too good to be true. When this happens to me (rarely but sometimes), I obsessively look for an explanation for the low retail or hammer price and the first things that I look for are signs that the coin may be inauthentic or altered. Nothing wrong with getting other opinions.

DonnaML and Spaniard like this.
  18. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

@DonnaML has posted: Jochen1's example is actually also RIC I Tiberius 33; the 31 must be a typo.

Thanks for the correction.
    Jochen

DonnaML likes this.
  19. DonnaML

The coin arrived yesterday (it took about 10 days to reach me from the UK). Here is my own photo, which I think looks a bit more like the coin in hand than the dealer's photo, and perhaps shows a bit more detail -- including all the corrosion pitting, especially if you click on the photo to zoom in! I sincerely hope that it doesn't make anyone change their mind about the coin's authenticity. I'm perfectly happy myself with the way the coin looks, and have no plans to perform cosmetic surgery by filling in the holes with spackle!

COMBINED NEW TIBERIUS AS.jpg

Regarding my curiosity about what the edge looks like, there's certainly no sign of a casting seam in this photo:

new Tiberius As edge 2.jpeg

But what do people think this is (two photos of the same spot)?

New Tiberius As edge 3.jpeg

new Tiberius As edge 1.jpeg

The edge looks like that only in the one place, so I hope it's not a sign of anything suspicious.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    sand, Marsyas Mike and Herodotus like this.
  20. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Most likely a remnant of the fill channel from when the flan was cast. No reason for alarm, in my opinion.

sand, Severus Alexander and DonnaML like this.
  21. DonnaML

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted