Tiberius Authentication Help

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Clarke, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke Well-Known Member

Obolos by Nomas is the auction. What are the pull mark looking stuff in the magnified area? Is that normal?

Tiberius-Obolas Nomas02.jpg Described as: Tiberius, 14-37. Denarius (Silver, 19mm, 3.78 g 2), Lugdunum, circa 15-18. TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS Laureate head of Tiberius to right, with one ribbon of his wreath on his shoulder. Rev. PONTIF MAXIM Livia (as Pax) seated right on a chair with ornamented legs, holding a long inverted spear with her right hand and an olive branch in her left; her feet set on footstool; single line below. BMC 48-60. BN 33-34. Cohen 16. Lyon 154. RIC 30. A lovely example. Some marks in the reverse field, otherwise, good very fine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It's the result of die deterioration. Completely normal. You can sometimes see this effect on US coins, too.

4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Flow lines. Silver coins often have them radiating out from the centre.

IMHO, the coin is authentic.

5. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

100% authentic. I really like the portrait. Although, I do not like him.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  6. Michael Clarke

Tiberius was one of the true scumbags to walk the planet. I'm trying to collect some of them. I like Tiberius old with the ugly nose and Nero old and fat. Caligula I'd like to find a young version but having trouble finding one. I have this one below but it's had for me to enjoy for the price I paid, $660.

Tiberius5 $660.jpg

Mikey Zee, Deacon Ray, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Authentic!!

Michael Clarke likes this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Once again, ouch on the $660, but I'm very happy you finally decided to join us here. Feel free to PM me any time you are considering buying anything. I'm far from an expert, as I've only been collecting ancients for a year, but I'm happy to give you any advise I can on any coin, and if I don't know then maybe I can refer you to someone that can.

And about Tiberius, sure, he would be a pedophile, a mass murderer, and a third world dictator by today's standards, but by ancient standards he was a capable Emperor. Yes, his semi-retirement and poor choice for head of the praetorian guard were huge errors, and his reputation suffered greatly for that. But he maintained the empire stable and prosperous, and managed military and fiscal affairs with great skill and talent. I don't think it's fair to judge ancients or medieval people by today's standards. Even great Emperors like Hadrian or Trajan would be savage warlords and dictators if you compared them to the things we expect of our modern leaders. Things were very different in a pre-industrial world with no concept of human rights, no global institutions, and no international political frameworks that we now take for granted, so you have to judge them based on how they were for their times.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Now that you mention it, he does sometimes look positively sinister...

IMG_4645.JPG

10. Michael Clarke

That's a great one. Look at this Nero. I love the wrinkles in his fat neck! Man I wish I could find one like that.

Nero ha 3000.jpg

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here are my Tiberius portraits and a fat Nero.

tiberius incitatus.jpg Tiberius ric 4 April 2016.jpg Tiberius Naville.jpg

new nero ric 68 combined.jpg

12. Michael Clarke

Orfew - That's a great fat Nero! Really cool. Look how big his neck is. lol

Orfew likes this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Let's play guess the grade (incorrect :rolleyes: for sure) assigned by NGC. Players need to post the NGC grade on the label and also how they grade it personally.

Just the grade w/o the other qualifiers. Bet we'll be surprised how we all agree w/NGC! Each answer to post like this: 62/55 or UNC/AU signifing the poster's opinion of the NGC label is Unc but his grade is AU. What about it @Michael Clarke Good idea or not? Let's see how well NGC did. I'll post after the first player...or is this boring or too challenging?

14. Michael Clarke

Haha! "Pet the dog it don't bit" Your question is just as dangerous.

Slabs of Ancients is for friends and family to look at. Grading gives them something to easily read and adds content that impresses them. I do have one friend that will barely look at slabs and loves feeling the raw ones.

Smojo, Insider and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

MS65

Tiberius

Tiberius Counterstamp.jpg

:rolleyes:

Sallent, Smojo, Insider and 8 others like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, and Michael Clarke => here is an example of mine with some sweet flow-lines

Arcadius

Arcadius.jpg

17. Michael Clarke

This is still the funniest thing I ever saw in the coin world. Hey @Insider NGC mistake. The Strike is clearly a 4 and the surface is a 3,

MyYapStoneArrivedToday-CACAsticker.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Ajax, Sallent, Brian Bucklan and 11 others like this.
  18. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Collectors who like slabbed coins will be eager to play along. Assigning such grades to ancient coins for the rest of us is an act in futility.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  20. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That certainly seems to be a VERY attractive example of Tiberius @Michael Clarke and since the 'flow lines' have been mentioned I'll move on to that 'RAI Stone' slab....Did it go over or under estimate?? I think I may have bid on it one late night:eek:;)

Terrific posts guys!!!

I easily understand your preference for a sinister Tiberius and a fat Nero and I think I have a budget denarius of Nero that clearly shows he was frequenting too many all night banquets....a bit chunky but not nearly as obese as @Orfew wonderful coin depicts:
    nero denarius salus.jpg

stevex6, Alegandron, Bing and 5 others like this.
  21. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

As portrayed in the TV series I, Claudius, Tiberius is a somewhat more sympathetic character than some histories portray him. Forced to divorce a wife he loved (Vipsania) in order to marry Augustus' daughter Julia, Tiberius was constantly goaded by his mother Livia to be the next Emperor, while Tiberius really only wanted to be a soldier and warrior -- something at which he was quite skilled. I suspect much of his excesses were a result of his rejecting the role into which he was forced.

Draft saved Draft deleted