Three Steel Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Johnson, Feb 28, 2020.

1. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I've always had a fascination for the steel cent. I have about a dozen in average circulated condition and I even bought a set of three reconditioned coins from Littleton many years ago. Well, I finally decided to spend a few bucks and get some nice examples. I want to get a complete set of the Jefferson War Nickels to go with them and call it my 'WWII set.' I paid $60 for all three. Good deal or bad? SteelCent.jpg
    SteelCentRev.jpg
    I'm still working on my photography skills, but I think I'm getting better...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think that's a fine deal. Especially considering there is probably at least $90.00 tied up in encapsulating them. I been feeling a need for some quality war cents myself. I might have to see if I can track down a deal like yours. Nice pick.

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.36.11 PM.png

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I may be around $40 for all 3, however, someone has to pay for the grading.
    And they are VERY nice looking coins. And you said it yourself that this was
    an issue that you like. You have to collect what you like, and $60 isn't going to break anybody. And of course, you will prob enjoy these coins for many years. That is an intangible and priceless part of collecting. 20 or 30 years of enjoyment, and the coins will still hold their value as well.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

The set slabbed PCGS MS-65!
    IMO you did quite well.

John Johnson likes this.
  7. Excellent deal tho the 43 and 43-S look better than the D. Restored steelies I junk out. Easily spotted in person or online. Very shiny, unatural.

John Johnson likes this.
  8. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I think it was a good deal, but that's just me talkin.

John Johnson likes this.
  9. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Good deal.

John Johnson likes this.
  10. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

That's something I have been planning to do myself, nice!

John Johnson likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

At $20 each PCGS graded in MS-65 I think you did very well. It probably cost more to have them graded. It's a nice looking set. Best wishes for the war Nickel set.

John Johnson likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...reminds me of a girl I used to know...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    John Johnson likes this.
  13. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Seems most people agree it wasn't a bad deal, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted