Three scarcer Severan denari

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I found the following three denari on Ebay recently. They are all from the same seller. The price was quite low and I expected to be disappointed. Now I have them in hand and I must say that I am really very pleased with them.

1. Severus Alexander as Caesar, Rome 221-222, weight 3.45 gm, RIC 3
    M AVR ALEXANDER CAES // PIETAS AVG

While coins of Alexander Severus as Augustus are usually very common, his coins as Caesar are not seen very often. Note the name form Marcus Aurelius Alexander. He later changed his name to Severus Alexander.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 16.37.34.png

2. Julia Aquilia Severa, Rome, 220, weight 3.48 gm, RIC 225
    IVLIA AQVILIA SEVERA AVG // CONCORDIA

Coins of Elagabalus' second wife are quite scarce.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 16.50.37.png

3. Severus Alexander, Rome, weight 3.46 gm, RIC 208
    IMP SEV ALEXAND AVG // PERPETVITATI AVG

The coin is in excellent condition with perfect surfaces. I think this reverse is somewhat scarce. I suppose Perpet Vitati means "to enternal life"?

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 16.51.08.png

I noticed that the third and youngest of the three coins seems to be of much better silver than the first two. I suppose there has been some sort of coin reform early in the reign of Severus Alexander.

seth77, Spaniard, Orielensis and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Wow, great find! The Severus Alexander type is particularly hard to find and tends to be quite expensive, even for rather rough examples. Aquilia Severa is pretty rare as well.

Tejas likes this.
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

All three great coins, but I love the SA as Caesar! Fantastic portrait. I have the INDVLGENTIA/Spes type:
    SA as caesar.jpg

5. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Very nice finds! Congratulations, these types of finds are becoming more rare than the coins themselves!

Tejas likes this.
  6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Beautiful examples!

I don't have an example of the last one but I also have an Alexander as Caesar
    Severus Alexander caesar priestly implements.jpg

And also an Aquilia Severa
    Julia Aquilia Severa denarius concordia.jpg

As for the improvement in quality late Alexander's reign, I think it was probably an attempt to reinforce confidence in the currency even though the fineness had been under 50% for years. Perhaps this is around the time that the mint started to surface-enrich the flans prior to striking - because they usually have the appearance of the high purity earlier denarii - smooth, lustrous fields even after almost 1800 years in the ground. These mint employees were certainly inherited by Maximinus, and the changing of the guard seems to have happened maybe a few years into Gordian's reign.
    Severus alexander iovi propvgnatori.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted