Featured Three recently acquired coins of Octavian/Augustus, including my first Imperial Cistophorus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Feb 8, 2022.

1. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

What an incredible coin! That would be the star of any collection!

Etcherman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Wonderful OP coin with elegant portrait.
    I don't specialize in the first century and only have few coins from that period. This is my best denarius of Augustus. Very common, but I like the portrait. Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.13.36.png

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

As @DonnaML mentioned about cistophoric tetradrachms, I am quite glad to present my latest acquisition - on my want list for a long time.
    Always admired the cistophoric coins and I find fascinating the fact that the same design lasted a long time, minted under different cities and, very interesting, this design was used by Romans.
    Managed to get one - a little rugged and the centering is not perfect, but overall I think this is a good addition.
    upload_2022-2-12_21-11-0.png

Lydia, Tralleis AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Circa 133 BC. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; the whole within wreath / Two serpents entwined around bow and bowcase; TIME above, [TRA]Λ to left, cult statue of Artemis Anaitis to right. SNG von Aulock 8287; SNG Copenhagen 661.
    26 mm, 11,75 g

Not to many cista mystica coins were shown here, so I think they're welcome :)

6. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

That Augustan cistophorus is a beauty - congrats!

DonnaML likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very very nice, @DonnaML !

My Cisto:
    upload_2022-2-12_19-48-42.png
    Mysia, Pergamum (Pergamon) 85-76 BC
    Cista Mystica or Cistophoric Tetradrachm
    AR Tetradrachm 12.46 x 26 mm
    Obverse: Cista mystica with serpent; all within oak / ivy wreath
    Reverse: bow-case with serpents, PRE monogram to left, KP / PRY monogram above, serpent-staff right.
    Ref: Kleiner 36

This was after the Mithradates War, and during a very tough time for Pergamon - Perhaps my Cisto was one of the first as Tribute to Rome.

WIKIPEDIA -
    In 88 BC, Mithridates VI made the city the headquarters in his first war against Rome, in which he was defeated. At the end of the war, the victorious Romans deprived Pergamon of all its benefits and of its status as a free city. Henceforth the city was required to pay tribute and accommodate and supply Roman troops, and the property of many of the inhabitants was confiscated. The members of the Pergamene aristocracy, especially Diodorus Pasparus in the 70s BC, used their own possessions to maintain good relationships with Rome, by acting as donors for the development of city. Numerous honorific inscriptions indicate Pasparus’ work and his exceptional position in Pergamon at this time.

Spaniard, ambr0zie, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Just discovering the post and I am glad it was featured, @DonnaML. Great additions to your collection - I am particularly taken with the Augustus with capricorn - both obverse & reverse.
    I jumped to prow or perhaps wolf's head, although to me it seems more likely someone was just using a sharp point or small carving tool to check the silver. I like a coin with a bankers mark like this when it is unobtrusive. Here's a favorite Roman republican Moneta of T. Carisius with 4-5 little angled marks. A coin minted about minting coins.
    T Carisius Celator den.jpg
    Here's a favorite cistophoric tetradrachm from Ephesus with leopard's head growing out of the right side snake.
    Cistophoric leopard.jpg

Spaniard, jdmKY, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  9. Anubis Dionysus

Anubis Dionysus New Member

While not nearly as glorious as everyone else's coins. This is my favorite Augustus minted in Julia Traducta. I'm not sure of the range of years. Augustus-Julia_Traducta.JPG

Spaniard, Edessa, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  10. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

@DonnaML - thank you for explaining the astrology.
    I started collecting cistophori before they became so expensive !

upload_2022-2-16_10-3-15.png
    RIC 493

upload_2022-2-16_10-4-32.png
    RIC 506

upload_2022-2-16_10-17-57.png
    RIC 507

Edessa, Spaniard, Sulla80 and 5 others like this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow. Those are three wonderful coins. The first and third are probably the best of those types I've ever seen! I haven't done any research, but given current prices in general, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would cost something in excess of $10,000 for someone to buy those three coins today.

eparch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted