Three Pence and Indian coin worth?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silveradowner, Feb 22, 2010.

1. silveradowner

silveradowner Junior Member

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have a small collection of coins and was doing some research on them the other day and thought these might be of some value. But I am not sure how much or how little.

The first coin is a 1937 Three Pence british coin. On Wikipedia it talked about this coin and it said that the coin was extremely rare. I dont know if that is true but it would be nice to find out the value of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence_(British_coin)

The second is a 1943 Indian 2 cent coin.

Any info you guys have on either of these would be great.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silveradowner

silveradowner Junior Member

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have a small collection of coins and was doing some research on them the other day and thought these might be of some value. But I am not sure how much or how little.

The first coin is a 1937 Three Pence british coin. On Wikipedia it talked about this coin and it said that the coin was extremely rare. I dont know if that is true but it would be nice to find out the value of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence_(British_coin)

The second is a 1943 Indian 2 cent coin.

Any info you guys have on either of these would be great.

Look forward to hearing from you!

4. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Well, Wikipedia blows it again! Aside from the fact that your link leads to a "no such article" page, the information you quote is way off base. There were 45,700,000 1937 nickel-brass threepenny bits (KM#849) minted, which a recent Standard Catalog of World Coins value at 25¢-$12.00 depending on condition. Even the silver Maundy Money coin for that year had a mintage of 8,148,000 (KM#848), and it's valued even lower, topping out at $10. If that's what you have it's 1.4138g of .500 silver with a bullion value <50¢.

There are no British India coins denominated in "cents", so I would need a picture of what you have to try and attribute it.

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Okay, I guess you decided to double post instead of simply editing your original post to add pictures. Based on the size and color it looks like you have the regular brass circulation strike of the 3d English coin.

Your "2 cent" is, of course, 2 Anna. It is KM#541a, struck in nickel-brass at Bombay (present day Mumbai) and had a mintage of 343,680,000. Value - 25¢-$2.25.

(I'm not even going to try guessing at the grades of your coins from those pictures.)

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

His wkipedia link did not work because he used spaces instead of underlines after Threepence and British. The correct link should have been
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threepence_(British_coin)#Brass_vs_silver_threepences
    It also explains his statement about the 1937 threepence being extremely rare. it was referring to the pattern coins made for Edward VIII. From the article:
    The 1937 George VI threepence are, as you mentioned, very common.

Draft saved Draft deleted