Three Nymphs Issue for Lucius Verus, Augusta Traiana

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Though often described as "The Three Graces" in auction catalogs, the deities featured on the reverse of this coin are better described as the more generic term, "Three Nymphs," because the term "Three Graces" refers to a specific statuary group, depicted in the same way on coinage throughout the Roman provincial series. I have discussed this previously in a thread devoted to the Three Graces as well as one devoted to another three nymphs type (of Julia Domna from Marcianopolis).

Lucius Verus Augusta Traiana Three Nymphs Naumann.jpg
    Lucius Verus, AD 161-169.
    Roman Provincial Æ assarion, 4.23 g, 18 mm.
    Thrace, Augusta Trajana, AD 161-169.
    Obv: ΑV ΚΑΙ Λ ΑV-ΡΗ ΟVΗΡΟϹ, bare head, right.
    Rev: ΑV-Γ-ΟV-ϹΤΗϹ | ΤΡΑΙΑΝΗϹ, three nymphs, stolate, standing facing, arms draped on each other's shoulders and holding unknown objects (thymiatera? tripods?) at sides.
    Refs: RPC IV 10343 (temporary); Schonert-Geiss 89; Varbanov II 909; Moushmov (1912) --; Moushmov Online 2987A; Staal, pl. 2, fig. 12.[1]

So who or what are these Three Nymphs, then?

We don't know with certainty, but Edith Schönert-Geiss[2] suggests the depiction of the Three Nymphs on coins from Augusta Traiana and Trajanopolis represents the healing springs that flowed through the area. This is because other coins of this city depict the nymphs holding water jugs, which commonly symbolizes rivers in ancient iconography, such as this Æ 20 of Crispina. She also notes there was a cult in the city devoted to the worship of these nymphs.

[​IMG]
    Staal, Pl. 3, Fig. 14; Schönert-Geiss, Augusta Traiana 113; Varbanov 945. Photo courtesy of CNG, electronic auction 319, lot 193, Jan 29, 2014.

But the nymphs on the Lucius Verus coins aren't holding water jugs. What the heck are they holding?

There is no clear consensus what the nymphs are holding. Gerhard Hirsch hesitatingly describes the objects as "Girlande(?)" (garlands); Agora as "short columns"; CNG (following Staal) as "tripods or thymiateria", but in another listing as "grain ears" and in yet another as a "wreath(?)"; and Peus as "Spindeln" (spindles) after Schönert-Geiss (p. 48). Moushmov online clearly errs when it describes the reverse as "center nymph holding a spinning wheel." RPC IV misidentifies the figures as the Three Charities, but wisely does not attempt to interpret the objects they are holding.

In an attempt to answer this question, I found the highest grade, best preserved example of a coin struck with this reverse die, a coin depicting Marcus Aurelius on the obverse sold earlier this year by Gorny & Mosch, who describe the objects as "thymiateria." Here is a close-up of the relevant features on the reverse.

Marcus Aurelius Augusta Traiana Three Nymphs Gorny and Mosch closeup.jpg

Thymiateria were used as incense altars both in temples and in homes throughout the ancient Mediterranean and Near East. Given that thymiateria exist in a variety of shapes, designs, and sizes, this seems the most reasonable explanation to me, though other explanations are certainly possible.

Inventory and die studies

The coin is scarce. Mark Staal, in a survey of major auctions from 1970-2004, was only able to find 2 examples for sale.[3] Since two of the coins on the following list are ex-Mark Staal, I presume these early auction listings are included and are not counted separately. All of the examples viewable online appear to have been struck with a single obverse die and a single reverse die. This is the inventory of known specimens:
    1. My coin, Numismatik Naumann, Auction 98, lot 486, 3 Jan 2021
    2. Moushmov online 2987A=Wildwinds specimen, ancientcoinart.com, lot 3129, May 2003
    3. Schönert-Geiss 89, pl 6=RPC IV.1 10343(1) (resolution not high enough to do die study)
    4. RPC IV.1 10343(2)=CNG Mailbid sale 84, lot 840, 5 May 2010 (ex-Staal)
    5. Hirsch Auction 272, lot 606, 4 May 2011
    6. Agora sale 71, lot 115, 26 Dec 2017
    7. Varbanov 909 plate coin=Staal plate coin, sold at CNG Electronic Auction 372, lot 255, 6 Apr 2016
    8. Busso Peus, Auction 403, lot 395, 27 Apr 2011
    9. One from a group lot, CNG Electronic Auction 297, lot 613, 27 Feb 2013 (obverse not illustrated)
    10. Another from the same group lot (obverse not illustrated).
    In addition, there are two examples of a coin of Marcus Aurelius struck with the same obverse die as well as the same reverse die as the Lucius Verus examples.
    1. Gorny & Mosch, online auction 271, lot 214, 29 May 2020
    2. CNG Electronic Auction 225, lot 244, 13 Jan 2010 (misidentified as Lucius Verus); also ex-Staal.
    Please post comments, coins from Augusta Traiana, three nymphs coins, or anything you feel is relevant!

~~~

Notes

1. Staal, Mark A. The Three Graces and Their Numismatic Mythology. Mark A. Staal, 2004, pp. 88, 156. The coin is illustrated at Staal's website.

2. Schönert-Geiss, Edith. Griechisches münzwerk: Die münzpragung von Augusta Traiana und Traianopolis. Akademie-Verlag, 1991, p. 48. Available online. The relevant passage reads:

Die drei Nymphen spielten folglich in Augusta Traiana die Rolle der heilspendenden Quellnymphen. Ihr Kult war -- wie weitere zahlreiche Widmungen zeigen -- hochangesehen, und auch die Münzbilder liefern dafür entsprechende Beweise, indem wir auch auf ihnen den drei Nymphen begegnen. In ihrer Darstellungsweise variieren sie, indem die Göttinnen entweder nackt (Nr. 70, 263) oder in langen Gewändern (Nr. 89, 110-111, 113) wiedergegeben werden und entweder aus Krügen das heilspendende Wasser fließen lassen (Nr. 113, 263) oder in ihren Händen Spindeln (Nr. 89) bzw. Binden (Nr. 70) halten.​

3. Staal, op. cit., table 12, p. 79.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Factor, Limes, Volodya and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a wonderful mystery!
    Though, I do like the graces better, for obvious reasons;),
    IMG_2672.PNG
    there certainly is an allure to the bong carrying sage burning (I sure think it's incense they're carrying) clothed hippies, I almost bid on a similar type with the nymphs:woot:

Curtisimo, Shea19, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

R.C. You've added another interesting article to the mythology of the Three Graces :D! No doubt the theory offered by Gorny & Mosch & you that the Three Graces are holding thymiateria seems more than likely ;). Your coin is nearly as detailed as the Gorny & Mosch example. I was unaware of the great diversity the Three Graces have been depicted on coinage until reading a previous article of yours where Ed Snible offered an excellent link depicting a wide variety of these coins. I have only 1 coin from Augusta Traiana that I've posted before, but will post again for your thread :happy:.

Septimius Severus, Varbanov 993.jpg
    Thrace - Augusta Traiana, Septimius Severus, AD 193 - 211, Reverse: Homonoia with modius on her head, holding a patera & cornucopia while sacraficing over a flaming altar. AE 27 mm, 15.51 gm. Varbanov 993.

The deity Homonoia became widespread during the time of Alexander the Great, & symbolized order & unity, "being of one mind together". Alexander encouraged the Eastern Greek states to pay homage to Homonoia, in order to end the inter-state bickering & warfare. Maybe we should setup some shrines honoring Homonoia, to end the political division in our country :smuggrin:!

Curtisimo, Bing, shanxi and 5 others like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting coin and excellent writeup, RC. I have a Crispina from Augusta Traiana which has the jug-carrying version.

Crispina - Augusta Traiana 3 Nymphs 852.jpg
    CRISPINA
    AE19. 3.0g, 18.9mm. THRACE, Augusta Traiana, circa AD 178-182. Schönert-Geiss 113; Varbanov 945 (R6); RPC Online temp 10349. O: ΚΡΙСΠƐΙΝΑ СƐΒΑСΤΗ, draped bust right. R: ΑVΓΟVСΤΗС ΤΡΑΙΑΝΗС, Three nymphs, outer ones holding water jugs; behind, trees.
    Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection

6. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Funny to see this coin posted here...I bid on this one as well. Happy to see the coin went to a good home (and got a much better write-up than I ever could have written :) ). Great coin!

Curtisimo and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted