Three coins I haven't posted yet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Whizb4ng, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I am still coin barren for 2015 but these three coins I bought for my birthday last October. Work has finally slowed down a bit (I can't believe it is April already) so I now have time to post them.

The first is a common type that I think the majority of us have by now and I managed to get it for an excellent price. It is from the Agora Auctions Dave Surber sale. I am very happy to have it as a part of my collection. (I am also stealing their photo)

[​IMG]

Thrace, Cherronesos. Ca. 400-350 B.C. AR hemidrachm
    Forepart of lion right, looking back
    Quadripartite incuse square; dot VE in one quarter and dot over pentagram in two quadrants. Weber 2408.
    Ex Dave Surber (Agora Auctions 15, lot 16)

The next is a Republican type that I really enjoy. I am a sucker for any coins with Mercury on them. I really enjoy his depiction on coinage. One day I am going to have the denarius with Mercury. I also stole this picture from the sale itself.

[​IMG]
    AE semuncia, Rome mint.
    Helmeted head of Mercury right
    ROMA Prow of galley right.
    Crawford 41/11.
    Ex RBW Collection (JHE Auctions 26, lot 39)

Finally, this coin was purchased as part of a group lot and stood out to me. I sold the other three coins in the lot and when priced out this coin cost me negative 10 dollars.

[​IMG]

Constantine II, Siscia
    CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate bust right
    CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, VOT dot X within wreath. Gamma SIS palm branch in exergue
    RIV VII Siscia 176

Also, I hope some of you are hockey fans. Jets are in the playoffs! I will most likely be in the bar for every game. Go Jets Go!

Pishpash, Aidan_(), stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins Whiz. Are you sure about the attribution of he Cherronesos hemidrachm? I don't see the monogram "VE"; perhaps a wreath?

4. Whizb4ng

I haven't had a chance to do much research on it yet but will definitely look into possible other attributions. What I have listed above is the attribution from the auction house.

5. Bing

Well, I'm not the expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt. However, here is one of mine with the "VE" monogram:
    Cherronesos 1.jpg
    THRACE
    AR Hemidrachm
    OBVERSE: Forepart of lion right, head turned back
    REVERSE: Quadripartite incuse square, dot VE monogram & lizard
    Struck at Cherronesos 400-350 BC
    2.40g, 13mm
    SNGCop 830

stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  6. Bing

All your new coins are nice. I also like the AE semuncia, but I do not have anything like it. As others are so fond of saying: it's on my want list.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice trio, I like them all!

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have two Chersonesos (Cherronesos) hemidrachms now. The first was an eBay purchase from near the beginning of my ancient fever. At the time, I had checked various resources but I'm now wondering if it could be fake. The combination is not listed on Barry Murphy's site. Within the last few weeks I saw one which may be a die match and I forgot to bookmark it. A quick Numisbids and Sixbid search doesn't show it-- maybe it was an auction that closed within the last week or so. If any of you come across another please let me know. I was going to post it and mine on Forvm for an opinion.

[​IMG]
    Thrace, Chersonesos
    400-350 BCE
    AR hemidrachm, 13mm, 2.3gm
    Obv: forepart of a lion right, head reverted
    Rev: quadripartite; incuse; dot AΓ (ligate)* and pentagram in opposing depressions
    Ref: ? Haven't found this one yet in any online resources

*This is the troubling part. I don't see another pentagram + AE ligate on Barry Murphy's site. The obverse styling does not match the numerous fakes though.

The second was purchased solely for the lizard. I have concerns about it as well and looking into the authenticity of both of these is on the never-ending to-do list.
    I should have waited for a better example but that bidding finger sometimes has a mind of its own :D.

ChersonesosHemidrachmLizard-1000w.jpg
    Thrace, Chersonesos
    400-350 BCE
    AR hemidrachm, 13mm, 2.3gm
    Obv: forepart of a lion right, head reverted
    Rev: quadripartite incuse square with alternating raised and sunken quarters; A in one quarter, lizard in opposite quarter.
    Ref: --, although the combination is shown on the website cited above.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. Bing

TIF: What makes you question these two?

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

On the first, the lack of finding that combination of symbols on another listed/authentic coin, although as mentioned I did see one recently. Now to find it again...

The second's styling looks off and some of the obverse diagnostics are off flan. The lizard version has many fakes. The angle of the lizard's body and legs look more like some of the fakes and less like verified authentic versions.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great stuff. As common as a Thrace, Chersonesos is, I dont own a single example.

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I really like all the posts and especially the Thrace, Chersonesos examples....but I have no clue as to authenticity---my head is still spinning regarding Bings Nero purchase LOL

13. Bing

Still waiting on David Sear's opinion on that one.

14. John Anthony

The Constantine II looks well-silvered. I'd give it a soak in distilled water to see if it cleaned up a bit.

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

3 nice coins WB....man, i want one of those cherronsos coins, but i'm scared. TIF, i hope yours are cool.

hey, i got a semuncia also...one of my favorite bargain bin snags!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that constantius ii is excellent, great centering and strike and super silvering.

stevex6, Mikey Zee and Bing like this.
  16. John Anthony

The semuncia is very nice! I don't have one, yet, but one of my favorite RR bronzes is this semis...

Semis1000.jpg

Aidan_(), stevex6, zumbly and 4 others like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice additions, Manitoba (congrats)

18. Whizb4ng

Thanks for the compliments! They have been itching to be posted for awhile now but work has just been exhausting.

I thought about it but don't trust my cleaning skills even if it is just soaking in DW.

Draft saved Draft deleted