Three Christian-themed coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Acquired these three recently. Even though the coin has a crack and overall is kinda rough, I am glad to have added a Decentius with chi-rho reverse (and a nice clear one to boot) to my collection, where it will complement my Magnentius chi-rho coin very well. I also came across the only other ruler besides the aforementioned ones that had a chi-rho reverse issued: Constantius II (struck in his name by the rebel Poemenius). Time was not kind to it over the centuries but its rarity and low price was what got to me. Lastly is a rather common type: the cross-within-wreath reverse of Theodosius II. Obverse could be better but the reverse is pretty well-preserved and clear (aside from the mintmark, but I can sort of still see what it is).

I am not overly religious but I really enjoy Christian-themed ancient/medieval coins since I feel they relate to my Christian heritage. Incredible to think (at least to me) that a small, persecuted sect would beat the odds and become the main religion of the Roman Empire.

Decentius was a Roman military commander in the mid-4th century AD, who, in conjunction with another military officer named Magnentius (who was possibly Decentius' brother) rose up and killed the Roman emperor Constans. Magnentius proclaimed himself as Augustus and Decentius became his Caesar, then they took over the Roman provinces of Gaul, Hispania, and Britannia, and waged war against Constans' brother Constantius II. Both committed suicide after Magnentius' loss at the Battle of Mons Seleucus in Gaul.

[​IMG]

The Constantius II with chi-rho reverse is a curious one, since Constantius II would probably not have wanted to be associated with a coin of his enemy Magnentius. Also the religious aspect of it adds to this conflicting issue. The Alpha and Omega on each side of the chi-rho were symbolic of Jesus Christ's divine nature, which Constantius' Arian Christian religion downplayed. The several interpretations I've read all seem to be in agreement that at some point in the rebellion of Magnentius and Decentius the city of Trier (which was under their control) staged a pro-Constantius revolt under the leadership of an officer named Poemenius, and that coins were struck in Constantius' name (a lot more in-depth info on this really obscure event here: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=57516.0 ).

[​IMG]

Theodosius II was the son of Eastern emperor Arcadius and his wife Aelia Eudoxia. Proclaimed as co-Augustus in January 402 AD at the ripe-old age of one, he was the youngest Roman emperor in history. His long reign over the Eastern Roman Empire saw the construction of the Theodosian Walls of Constantinople, war against the Huns, the Persians, and the usurper Johannes in the west, and the compilation of Roman law known as the Codex Theodosianus. He died in 450 AD, from falling off his horse as he rode along. Theodosius II was succeeded by Marcian.

[​IMG]

I'll post descriptions+attributions later tonight.

Please feel free to post any Christian-themed ancient or medieval coin.

BenSi, randygeki, Lisa1980 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

They are all very nice but that Constantius II speaks too me!
    I unfortunately don't have any overtly Christian coins but here is a decent Valentinian I AE-3 with the Chi Rho standard.
    image.jpg

"Please feel free to post any Christian-themed ancient"
    As you have the habit of breaking the rules on my threads I will break one in your thread!:p:D

Julian II aka the Apostate AR Siliqua!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

My only Chi-Rho examples--- Magnentius and Decentius....
    magnentius obverse.jpg magnentius reverse.jpg Decentius obverse.jpg decentius reverse.jpg

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lovely......simply lovely. :)

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh, and that write-up? Most excellent indeed my Valiant friend.........:)

ValiantKnight, Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Ooh a nice shiny pretty siliqua, that'll teach me! :D

Thanks for the nice coins and comments posted so far guys!

stevex6 likes this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very nice VK, and good write up. i'd love to have the decentius!

i was reading in an ANS magazine (that someone was nice enough to give me) that the wreath in cross type of theodosius was the first time the cross appeared on a coin. that surprised me.

here are some nimbate saints some later coins...

st constantine (nimbate on reverse) , young christ on obverse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

st ambrose on this coin from 15th century coin from milan. cool serpent on reverse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

venetian grosso with the doge and st. mark, also with christ enthroned.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. I don't own many LR coinage; my only chi-rho, accompanied by a pagan Goddess:
    Valentinian I Solidus 35 percent.png
    Valentinian I AV Solidus. Trier Mint. 364-367 AD. D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust / RESTITVTOR REIPVBLICAE, emperor standing facing in military attire, head right, holding vexillum, chi-rho upon it & Victory on globe, dot to right of vexillum shaft, TR * in ex.
    Chi Rho symbol vexilum.png

- Michael

randygeki, dlhill132, TIF and 5 others like this.
  10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I am pleased to see Christian symbols receive some discussion. Most Byzantine coins have Christian references (I'd like to see more Byzantine coins discussed on this forum). Here is one that is remarkable for having three chi-rhos:

SB162Ao30.jpg SB162Ar30.jpg
    Justinian, 527-565.
    32-30 mm. 16.54 grams.
    Struck 537-538 (according to Hahn, MIBE, where it is number 89). Sear 162A.

11. I don't think many of our regulars get into Byzantine coins; plenty of LRB's though. I own 1 or 2 Byzantine coins. As i previously posted, I thought it was very interesting to see a mixture of Christian symbology and Roman Paganism symbols/gods on LR coinage. Interesting transition.

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Thats a lot of Chi Rhos.

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. Ancientnoob

Christian Chocolate
    AnaFollis498-507AD_opt - Copy.jpg
    Anastasius (491-518 AD)
    AE Small Module 40 nummis (Follis)
    struck 498-507 AD
    23.8 mm x 12.43 grams
    Obverse: Diademed bust of Anastasius- DN ANASTASIVS AV
    Reverse: Large M flanked by Stars, Delta Officina - NIC, cross above
    ref# SB32
    Note: Superb. Hershey.

randygeki, dlhill132, TIF and 7 others like this.
  14. Ancientnoob

Christian Vanilla
    [​IMG]
    Byzantine Empire
    Eastern Roman Empire
    Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine
    AR Hexagram 22.0 mm x 6.28 g
    Constantinople mint. 610-640 AD
    Obv. dd NN HERAKLIUS et hERA CONST Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne
    Rev. Large DEUS ADIUTA ROMANIS Cross potent above three steps (God Help the Romans)
    ref# SB 798
    Note. Fine. Rare

randygeki, dlhill132, TIF and 6 others like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

If anyone is interested in Byzantine coins there is not only the obvious Sear book on Byzantine but one odd little book that many might overlook due to the choice of title.
    Eastern Roman Successors of the Sestertius
    by Harlan J. Berk, 1986

This covers all denominations of Byzantine copper (not just the big ones) from the beginning to Alexius I. It is illustrated with good line drawings which the author says are better than photos for many of the coins that do not come in a grade that photographs well (and not a grade that one associates with a major seller of high end coins. It is largely a priced catalog in four grades and other information sneaks in only as an occasional note. It does make the point well that there are a lot of types and many mints you will need to seek out if you decide to collect these actively. As a fault, note that it only covers the first 500 or so years of Byzantine copper so you are left on your own for the rest of of the time.

A problem with this list is that I forget what I showed and what I did not. I never got the idea that Byzantine was too popular here so posting them might not be as well received as other periods. The nice thing about Byzantine copper is that you can find some really ugly coins that are actually better than average for their type. Anyone can look at an EF Greek tetradrachm and tell it is a high grade coin but terms like EF and late Byzantine copper rarely are used in the same sentence. Even IDing some of the coins will require some opinions. For example: What do you see here? Absolute junk or nice example? ...but of what? I have my opinion but that does not mean much.
    rz0655bb2915.jpg

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All wonderful coins and with history to boot.

17. Ketchumid

Ketchumid New Member

Great coins and thanks for writing about your personal connection to them. Fantastic.

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Jango, those are awesome new additions (very cool) ...

I don't have an example of Decentius, but I do have my sweet Nancy-look-alike example of Magnentius to share ...

Magnentius AE Centenionalis Large Chi-Rho.jpg
    Nancy.jpg

:rolleyes:

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Here is one I happen to have handy. Its (now), one of my silver Christopher's. Constantine VII, silver milaresion. It took me almost a decade to get this one, and then 3 months later a group lot had another one in it. I sure as heck was not going to let that one get away as well, so now I have two of these.

silverchristopher.jpg

Btw Doug, I do not know your coin, which means its scarcer than average I believe. Having a nice clear picture of Christ's face by definition of those makes it better condition than average.

randygeki, ValiantKnight, TIF and 6 others like this.
  20. Ancientnoob

Definitely Christian.

Crusader State
    Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem
    Baldwin III (AD 1143-1163)
    BI Denier 16 mm x 0.87 grams
    Obv: Tower of David with glacis, circle of large pellets around +De IERVSALEM
    Rev: Cross Pattee, circle of large pellets around BALDVINVS REX
    Ref: CCS 15
    KoJ.jpg

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet coins, fellas ...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ummm, I'm gonna toss-in another example of my Christ-themed coins ...

Anonymous Folles, Basil II & Constantine VIII Æ26 (Class A3)
    Constantinople mint
    circa 1020-1028
    Diameter: 26 mm
    Weight: 7.04 grams
    Obverse: Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator
    Reverse: Legend in four lines; ornament above and below

Anonymous Folles basil II & Constantine VIII Krist.jpg

... Christ still has a wee bit of a snout, so I'm calling this example a winner!

:woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted