Three Cent Copper / Nickel" see what you're missing"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Being a VAMmer these little guys fall right in line. ;)

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've never been much of a die variety guy, but the 3cn is really a cool series. For series collectors, it is pretty challenging in the later dates. I still haven't found an '85 that I like for the price. One day I'll just bite the bullet and pay up for one.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I love a nice clash.
    threecentnickel1866pcgs64.jpg

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Beautiful specimen Idhair simply beautiful !

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I've been eyeing these for quite a while. The die clashes are very interesting. The ANA magazine just had an article a couple of months ago about what was going on the moment these were voted on and bill passed to be produced. Something about a lot of people were waiting in the rain, somebody was sick and it was voted on and passed so they could adjourn. I think there was one guy pushing the bill and it wasn't that popular. That's my best recollection of the article. Wish I could do better. :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

This series is just a simple coin for a time when the country needed a simple coin to maintain commerce .
    A coin that would wear well, a coin that the common man could use unmistakably . The design simple but yet classic , the reverse Roman numerals ,at a time people understood what three lll meant.
    Here was a coin that wouldn't be hoarded as it wasn't silver, a coin that for the everyday man it had the buying power needed. Often over looked, appreciated by few, yet still has the power to capture ones interest by some for its simple design and practicality post Civil war era.

Dave Waterstraat and Vess1 like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These are from my old file of images. I think I used to own the 69. Not sure. Too cool not to post.
    ngc_1841057-003_obv_sm.jpg ngc_1841057-003_rev_sm.jpg ngc1660397-001_obv2_sm.jpg ngc1660397-001_rev1_sm.jpg

Seattlite86, Vess1, Kirkuleez and 2 others like this.
  9. Paddy54

jello and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. WizardNYC

WizardNYC Active Member

Definitey some knowledgeable folks on this thread. @Paddy54, thoughts on this 1874 3 center. Nice detail, but it does have a gold tint under most lighting conditions. Normal? Counterfeit? Nice doubling most visible at the O. The more you look at these coins the more you fall for them. A nice contrast to a Walking Liberty. 20180302_005442-ccfopt.jpg 20180302_003842-ccfopt-ccfopt.jpg 20180302_132457-ccfopt.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Paddy54 likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Can you post a obv like the rev above with out the gold tone? Looks to be a nice au coin with a few nice rev die cracks.

12. WizardNYC

WizardNYC Active Member

@Paddy54 I'll post one of the obverse when I make it home through this snow.

What is up with the gold hue. There is definitely one under certain lighting conditions. Any chance a counterfeit?

13. Paddy54

No lighting causing it

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I would say cleaned.

15. WizardNYC

WizardNYC Active Member

Here is the obverse. 20180302_172435.jpg

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

maybe even a little polishing going on.

17. Paddy54

Yeah I agree thought so before. But wanted better images au details.

18. WizardNYC

WizardNYC Active Member

Polishing. Agreed. I guess I got it on the cheap for a reason. Still a pretty coin. Thx everyone. Definitely need one with original finish.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Are there any 3-Cent Nickels that come prooflike? I've never seen one, but there may be some dates that are scarcer, but commonly found P/L.

20. Paddy54

Ive never seen or heard of one...

21. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That seems odd, especially with some of the lower mintage pieces. I have seen 1886 pieces that look like business strikes, even though they are a proof-only issue. I think most I have seen are not really mirrored at all. Fascinating series in Cu-Ni or Ag.

Draft saved Draft deleted