Three cent 1865 coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by luciano.leon.129, Aug 26, 2014.

1. luciano.leon.129

luciano.leon.129 New Member

uploadfromtaptalk1409085021727.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1409085041860.jpg how much is this coin worth??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. luciano.leon.129

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Just a friendly hint. Take your photos straight on, not on an angle and crop them so that only the coin appears. You'll get a better response,

5. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

This is a copper - Nickel 3 cent piece. Photo to me looks like the coin is well worn and probably cleaned. I can not venture a guess on value as although it was the first copper nickel 3 cent issued starting in 1865, it is a common coin, with prices starting at around 18.00 in very good (VG-8).

6. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

I would say in that condition on ebay it would sell anywhere from 15-25!!

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The photos do not allow a fair estimate, as they are too small.

Three cent copper-nickel coin are 75% copper/ 25% nickel, the preceeding FE cent and the Cu-Ni IHC were 88 % copper and 12% nickel. The higher Ni content was difficult to strike, so there were a large number of cracked and broken dies, doubling, etc. varieties produced and many have a significant value over the regular date. SO each has to be evaluated carefully to determine value.

Here is one of my 3 cent collection, 1865 FS-3N-1865-302, repunched date West, Die cracks. CPG books said that the die may have been short lived as all they have seen are similar. Interestingly, they said there is a similar repunched date on a proof die, which might have been used for a few circulation strikes.

Value is much more than a normal 1865.

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and Mojavedave like this.
  8. luciano.leon.129

9. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Here is one of my 3 cent collection, 1865 FS-3N-1865-302, repunched date West, Die cracks.

DesertGem, I see the die cracks, but what indicates a repunched date west ?

Dave

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

DesertGem will be the authority on it but I would guess the flagged top of the number 5?
    Luciano.leon.29: Your coin looks to be VF20 or so. Sean the Coin Collector would be correct with the price. I don't know varieties, therefor someone else will need to qualify that possibility.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

yes, Sorry , I just used one of the photos as I was in somewhat a hurry. Here is the same coin with a better indication of the RPD.

[​IMG]

Mojavedave and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Awww yes. Can see it now. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted