Three brothers thaler

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alex1176, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Alex1176

Alex1176 New Member

Hello,
    do you think this thaler is real or fake?
    Thanks
    $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Looks real to me...

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Did you buy this off ebay by any chance? There is a notorious counterfeiting ring that has been selling a lot of high quality fake German thalers over the past few years, on eBay. This particular type and date is one they have sold dozens of. And the surface appearance and patina looks pretty consistent with those.
    Problem is it's very difficult to give a definitive answer from pictures alone.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I don't specialize in this field but like what Numismat says, there's some high quality counterfeits being sold these days. This seems to be quite similar to such counterfeits.

6. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

My first reaction is it's a "fake" ... but can't be sure from photos only. All I can say for sure is if I saw it listed on eBay I would never bid on it.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

surface looks 'funky'

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would probably see if they had a TPG PCGS or NGC slabbed 1 first before I would buy a raw 1. Look for reputable dealers that sell these raw.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Hard to tell. I will say that the fakes I have seen have been mostly of the Ferdinand III Augsburg type which are made to look as higher grades. This one has significant wear and harsh past cleaning so not sure.

I would not buy anything raw on ebay.

10. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

For myself, I have no interest in slabbed coins. I want to be able to take the coin in my hand and look at it directly. Yes, I know the slab is supposed to be some kind of guarantee of authenticity, except that these days even slabs are being faked. Here's mine, which I bought not on ebay but on Muenzauktion. Not the same coin but a subsequent one with only two brothers. I am no expert so can't claim a definitive opinion, but the grainy texture on the field of your coin looks suspicious to me, perhaps as if it were made from a cast? Experts please advise if this is nonsense or not. DESaxonyThaler1613KM44Orig.jpg

Seba79 and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted