Three Ancient Greek Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kaparthy, Oct 2, 2004.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I have been scanning my coins to a library of images. These are recent and came out not too bad.

The first is from Athens, the classical Owl.
    The second is from Chalkis ("Copper") on the island of Euboia ("Good Cow Place"). The reverse is a bit complex. It shows an eagle killing a snake. In front, is a little Athena in armor.

Attached Files:

Alfonso Hernandez likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Art

Art Numismatist?

Great coins Mike. The scans are pretty good too.

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

That Owl is a beauty... i sure like those owls!

5. Art

Art Numismatist?

Have you seen the Gallery Mint Museum owl repro. It's one cool item. They passed one around at the ANA Coins in the Classroom Seminar. GMM did a first rate job on it.

(It clearly states that it's a copy).

6. sylvester

sylvester New Member

No but i'd like to see a pic of one though!

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Thanks, Art and Sylvester; I am glad you liked them. It was my intent to post three, but only five images can be uploaded with one post. So, I just placed two. Here are two more.

The first is a bronze sestertius from Marcus Aurelius, "the Philosopher Emperor" and the last of the Five Good Emperors. He is on the obverse, of course. On the reverse is Minerva carrying her Owl.

The second is from the Dorian Greek town of Kyrene, near what is now Bengazi in Libya. Their wealth came from silphium, a plant that worked as a contraceptive. (Its seeds gave us the "heart" shape associated with "love.") On the obverse is Zeus Ammon. A silphium is on the reverse. The town kept an archaic style of coinage through the classical era. Silphium was harvested to extinction in about 100 AD. It grows nowhere else, though it has relatives. Wild silphium has been reported in Libya.

Attached Files:

8. Art

Art Numismatist?

Sylvester :
    Try this link (if I can get it to work). The coin is quite nice and rather inexpensive. It is of course, a modern copy.

This link is for their Athenian Didrachm .
    http://www.gallerymint.com/products/ancient/AthenianDidrachm.htm

This is for their Athenian Tetradrachm.
    http://www.gallerymint.com/products/ancient/AthenianTetradrachm.htm

They have quite a few other copies. Very interesting stuff. The link below is their home page. (I have no affiliation with this company. Just like their products.)

http://www.gallerymint.com/

9. Art

Art Numismatist?

Mike,

Those are great coins. Thanks for sharing.

10. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Hey they're not bad! That goes for the copys, and for the rest of Michael's coins!

Particularly that silver one.

11. Reid Goldsborough

Reid Goldsborough New Member

Two coins. The Owl is nice. The scans are too small to see what the surfaces look like, but it appears to be a nicely toned aEF, or eBay EF+. <g> What's its weight?

Draft saved Draft deleted