Three (3) 1843-O Seated Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I was looking at recently sold examples of the '43-O dime, one of my favourite seated dime dates.
    These two recently sold examples examples caught my attention, both pretty,
    both mid-grade.

Question for you guys: which of these is more accurately graded at its assigned respective grade?

Example # 1: NGC EF45 CAC

1843 O Dime NGC EF 45 CAC OBV (from HA).jpg 1843 O Dime NGC EF 45 CAC REV (from HA).jpg

Example # 2: NGC EF40 CAC

1843 O Dime NGC EF 40 CAC OBV (from HA).jpg
    1843 O Dime NGC EF 40 CAC REV (from HA).jpg

Example # 3: Raw, Collectively graded by the forum at VF35

1843-O Dime - OBVXX N- BEST most correct picture  VVVGP !.jpg 1843-O Dime - REVXX N- BEST most correct picture VVVGP !.jpg

The last example is raw, not encapsulated and only carries the 'Eduard Seal of Raw Coin Approval'.

Looking forward to your comments.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

VF+ to XF is such a difficult range to grade from photos. Amount of visible luster plays a big part in the threshold between those two grades and it’s tough to photograph what can be seen in-hand tilted under a lamp.

The complete strike of Example 1 lends to the 45 grade (the rarity probably doesn’t hurt the chances of any of these) - I’d personally rather not see the scratches in the obverse right field at that grade level but still a great coin.

Despite the strike issues on Example 2, I much prefer it to #1. The surfaces look nicer and I suspect the originality is very pleasing in hand along with nice rich trace luster.

Your coin seems to be almost a hybrid of the two; well struck, slightly more wear than Example 1 but very pleasing overall. I think I probably said (or thought and didn’t say) 35 in the thread when you asked for a grade on it, but given the examples you’ve posted I think 40 would be quite reasonable for your coin. Very nice as always, Eduard.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

@Eduard if I didn't know you better, I would suggest sending in yours just to see if it can get the bump to XF40, as I think yours fits into this group :p I think each example has something attractive and not so attractive about it. I can't help but think that all of these coins were cleaned a long time ago. Example #2 looks wiped on the obverse, but it could be lighting or other factors.

Eduard likes this.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I would bet that #2 looks better in hand than the photos show. It is my favorite of the 3. To me, #3 shows more obvious signs of circulation and I would think XF would be a stretch but you never know (at least I can't guess) what the graders would think of it. If it came back as a 40 I wouldn't be surprised but I also wouldn't be surprised if it came back as a 30. Just my opinion as I don't actively collect this series.

Eduard likes this.
  6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

The top one has the most detail, I'd say. It deserves a bit higher grade (leaf details, shield outline...maybe some of that is strike?). The middle one has the most skin, but even it looks like it could have been wiped a bit at some point. All nice coins. I like the grades given.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Eduard likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This is not my series, and based on the shield alone (I know there is much more that goes into the grade), I think all three are equally accurate. The 45 coin is a tad better than the 40 which is a tad better than the 35.

Eduard likes this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, guys, for taking the time to give your input and your thoughtful comments.

Example # 2 is the one which disrupted the grading sequence in my eyes since it looks unduly weak and I could not figure out why it derserved a grade of XF40 and CAC on top of that. Yet, that is the one which @CircCam and @Chris B prefer.
    I defer to your expertise:).

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Just saw this thread. IMO PCGS was too lenient with coin #2. It’s not just the strike, it shows more wear than the other two, e.g. on the shield.

Eduard likes this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Based off the pictures I like yours the best. As for the grade - can't really say. I like yours at VF, but would not be surprised if it was a 40. Nice coin Eduard.

Eduard likes this.
  11. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thanks, guys for the additional comments.

1843-O dimes are noted for often showing lightly struck heads, and also on the wreath. Even with that in mind, I feel Example #2 was generously graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted